Ink strike Pros/Cons

syPHILys

Inkling
So, I have noticed that in ranked people keep using and searching to use the ink strike, even to the detriment of their own team. Meaning, they remove themselves from the fight for upwards of 45 seconds, and either go wayy deep into enemy territory by themselves, or cover some of the territory close to base, in order to fill the ink strike, then use the ink strike on the splat zone while the other team is still there.

IT IS REALLY EASY TO NOT DIE FROM AN INKSTRIKE YOU SEE IT COMING AND MOVE!

so that being said, they just re cover the spot that was just struck, and it's as if nothing happened except it was a 3v4 for a minute.and if you use it mid battle, while your there, you will die because it takes so long to launch.

The best way to use the ink strike is when your team already has momentum, or owns the splat zones, as a preventative measure delaying the opposing squiddos from reaching your turf. Netting you probably a total of 10 seconds off the clock. Which makes it a win-more weapon. It does not help you in individual firefights, and without coordination via teamspeak or whatever, it is extremely difficult to use strategically.

Am I saying don't use the inkstrike? NO, I am not saying that at all, what I am saying, is, don't hunt for it as if it will magically save your team or net you a large advantage. It is most beneficial when you are in the lead and have the space to use it, and hardly beneficial when you are down, thusly win-more.

ty.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
To behonest, this is a really useless, and bad post you've made here. I'm not saying that to offend, you, I just can't think of a nicer way of putting it without pretty much straight up lying. To start, your problem, as you yourself said, isn't the inkstrike. Its bad players. That means the title is just clickbait. Then you just stated an on some extreme cases, and ignored many of the possible positive uses. You didn't even make a post that welcomes people to contradict the opinion, you just stated it as though you're an authority on the subject. Also squidboards is a terrible place to make a "PSA" for players, because it's a tiny part of the online community. Even more so for the competitive boards.
The boards are called the Competitive Discussion boards for a reason. Posts in here are supposed to encourage discussion about competitive playstyle, techniques and tactics. Something that helps the competitive community improve or oat least gets them thinking more seriously about the game.
If you want to discuss the Inkstrike, why not try something that welcome's more discussion like "Inkstrike, Pros vs. Cons" or even something as simple as "Inkstrike Competitive Uses/Discussion". Maybe not as exciting as your titles, but it should bring in people who aren't just looking to talk about their opinion on what is good and what isn't, but are more interested in discussing how things can be used to an advantage and disadvantage from a competitive and strategical perspective. Of course that also means your post would have to be much more neutral. Not saying you have to pretend you think the Inkstrike is great, but you if you're going to state your opinion on it being bad then do it more openly and neutral. For example stating that you fail to see the positive uses, but that you want to hear other people's opinions and experiences, and that you want to see a discussion on the subject.
If you don't actually want any discussion, and just want to create a "PSA" I don't think this is the right subforum to post it in.
Again I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just trying to improve discussion on these boards, since their quality has taken a massive dive since the release of the game.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
I'm going to ignore the tone of the OP and take this opportunity to talk about inkstrike strategy. I do agree this post is.... yeah.

Why the heck do people use the inkstrike near people's spawn? It takes like 3 seconds to clear and just allows someone to charge their own special a bunch. You almost never kill anyone with it. It seems like a huge waste to me. I tend to use them right on the edge of a contested zone- create a big distraction so my team can gain the upper hand over that area.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I'm going to ignore the tone of the OP and take this opportunity to talk about inkstrike strategy. I do agree this post is.... yeah.

Why the heck do people use the inkstrike near people's spawn? It takes like 3 seconds to clear and just allows someone to charge their own special a bunch. You almost never kill anyone with it. It seems like a huge waste to me. I tend to use them right on the edge of a contested zone- create a big distraction so my team can gain the upper hand over that area.
I don't think it's a good dea to post anymore discussion in this thread. Like I said, you're Just going to get lots of people who aren't really looking for discussion jumping in and complaing. Something kind of similar happened with the original splatdashing thread, and trust me, it's just better to make a completely new one. So that's what I've done: (redacted (read edit))

You can just transfer your post over there if you want.

EDIT: NVM I'm dumb. Since the name was changed we'll see ho the thread develops from here. If it turnss stupid I'll make a thread that's actually for the right special this time >_>

Last edited:

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Ink Strike? Bad?
It's only bad if you try to shoot it on your team's ink. No matter where else you put it, it will equal more time the enemy has to shoot. Even the famous argument "don't Ink Strike right next to the enemy spawn point", is invalid. If you shoot right on the respawn point, the enemy will be trapped inside the respawn point, and then has to shoot the ground to get out. The Ink Strike is far from bad.

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
i use it to scare off campers and clear out choke points.

ink coverage literally doesnt matter until the last 5 seconds of the match. because you're right, they can easily cover it up it 5 seconds but thats not how the inkstrike should be used.

it should be used offensively and not a means to cover ink for the sake of covering ink

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
Ink Strike? Bad?
It's only bad if you try to shoot it on your team's ink. No matter where else you put it, it will equal more time the enemy has to shoot. Even the famous argument "don't Ink Strike right next to the enemy spawn point", is invalid. If you shoot right on the respawn point, the enemy will be trapped inside the respawn point, and then has to shoot the ground to get out. The Ink Strike is far from bad.
Yeah but on the respawn point you gain very little advantage while they get free chargeup for their own special. It's a tradeoff at best.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Yeah but on the respawn point you gain very little advantage while they get free chargeup for their own special. It's a tradeoff at best.
You get very little advantage if you shoot it at the middle. They get free chargeup anywhere you put it. Anywhere you strike,gives your team time to get closer.

syPHILys

Inkling
To behonest, this is a really useless, and bad post you've made here. I'm not saying that to offend, you, I just can't think of a nicer way of putting it without pretty much straight up lying. To start, your problem, as you yourself said, isn't the inkstrike. Its bad players. That means the title is just clickbait. Then you just stated an on some extreme cases, and ignored many of the possible positive uses. You didn't even make a post that welcomes people to contradict the opinion, you just stated it as though you're an authority on the subject. Also squidboards is a terrible place to make a "PSA" for players, because it's a tiny part of the online community. Even more so for the competitive boards.
The boards are called the Competitive Discussion boards for a reason. Posts in here are supposed to encourage discussion about competitive playstyle, techniques and tactics. Something that helps the competitive community improve or oat least gets them thinking more seriously about the game.
If you want to discuss the Inkstrike, why not try something that welcome's more discussion like "Inkstrike, Pros vs. Cons" or even something as simple as "Inkstrike Competitive Uses/Discussion". Maybe not as exciting as your titles, but it should bring in people who aren't just looking to talk about their opinion on what is good and what isn't, but are more interested in discussing how things can be used to an advantage and disadvantage from a competitive and strategical perspective. Of course that also means your post would have to be much more neutral. Not saying you have to pretend you think the Inkstrike is great, but you if you're going to state your opinion on it being bad then do it more openly and neutral. For example stating that you fail to see the positive uses, but that you want to hear other people's opinions and experiences, and that you want to see a discussion on the subject.
If you don't actually want any discussion, and just want to create a "PSA" I don't think this is the right subforum to post it in.
Again I'm not trying to attack you, I'm just trying to improve discussion on these boards, since their quality has taken a massive dive since the release of the game.

You're probably right, TBH when I wrote this I was pretty salty, just got done with a series of games and this seemed to be a trend, on both teams really, and I got very frustrated when it caused my loss... Meh, I'm a bit of an idiot, I really do want to hear the contradictory side, I really am no expert on this game nor any other, I'm probably pretty bad, actually.I posted this in competitive boards because I wanted to hear a strong other side to it. I changed the title, because, yeah.

btw, no attack felt and ty for pointing out my agression in type.

Ink Strike? Bad?
Right. and those few seconds are good, as I pointed out, however the issue goes in a few places, what did you give up to perform the inkstrike? whether it be a couple of extra seconds shooting ink you wouldn't have otherwise shot, or the time it took to shoot the ink strike. They don't have to cover it up at all if it isn't in the splat zone. They shoot 2 shots and they are out of the ink strike on the respawn point, however I still think that is the best placement because it does hold them off the most, but as I said that seems very win-more, it doesn't give you the overall advantage in the game, or in a firefight, where as other specials do.

teamdelibird

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
teamdelibird
You get very little advantage if you shoot it at the middle. They get free chargeup anywhere you put it. Anywhere you strike,gives your team time to get closer.
Not really. I've almost never been slowed down by an inkstrike near my base. Not even trapped in spawn. The only time I get killed or messed up by an inkstrike is in choke points or places where I get caught in enemy ink trying to escape. Sorry, using an inkstrike near someone's base is idiotic.*

*Unless there's <30 seconds left in the match

D

Deleted Member

+ The best weapon to use when the timer reaches 0:00
+ Large blast radius that splats enemies caught in it instantly
+ You can launch it anywhere on the map from anywhere on the map.
- You are extremely vulnerable when you use the Inkstrike.
- There are better specials for Turf Wars.
- Inkstrike can be easily avoided and cleaned up within seconds.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I think the biggest reason why I don't use weapons with the inkstrike is because I don't like having to look down at the game pad to aim.
As silly as that sounds what I mean is I don't like being rushed, and I'm vulnerable/the special charge meter is going down(though idk how fast since I never look up from the gamepad when aiming) and I'd like to really assess the map before I go 'NUKES AWAY'. Granted its not hard to assess the situation, but those moments when an enemy is just their as your using it and you just have to press and hope you picked the enemies color......
Idk just a small silly tidbit about them. /me

I prefer just to wail on them ya know? ;3

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom