• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Inkbrush: Yay or Nay?

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Painting into people, from my experience, does little damage and just alerts them to your presence. It does not auto-splat like the roller does.
Thanks for the reply, it's quite helpful.
But yeah, I don't expect this weapon to be everyone's cup of tea. It's very specific about what it can do, but I absolutely love this thing, and I'll probably use it almost all the time now. Until they make Aerospray ZX, which will just be an attack helicopter that renders everyone useless.
Nah, they won't put an attack helicopter in Splatoon. Maybe a full-stage-length gatling-gun though.

Also@swifT that's true. I was trying to make this thing work on offense. It didn't; mostly, I ran in, tried to splat people in or near the Splat Zones so I could ink in (very brief) peace and got splatted first because it's so weak. Defensive and support does seem to be what this would be most useful for, especially with the sprinkler.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
Yeah why even bother with this weapon especially in Turf Wars it does absolutely nothing good anyways.

Marmalade

Full Squid
NNID
Marmalade
Just tested the paintbrush out and I am totally in love.

I got it to work right after the second match I used it. The inkswing is were it shines when it comes to covering turf, especially because you can swing so fast, so it can cover turf faster than rollers. Besides that, it is a great weapon to get into the enemy base because it just is so fast. I often had people shooting me, where if I had used another weapon I would have died, but with the paintbrush, I can just out maneuver them easily by u-turning and rushing away, or just getting passed them and into their territory because I am just so fast. The ink strike also fills up very fast and the sprinkler is a great distraction!

While it isn't very strong, it still can get the job done when handled correctly. So yeah, for me this weapon is awesome!

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
It's a great infiltration tool and its good at spreading ink if you swing a lot.
This!

The best round I had with the brush was when I did what you should never do - I charged straight through the hotly-contested centre of Arowana Mall, to the heart of enemy territory. I was so fast that the Chargers guarding the spot couldn't keep up, and I managed a full lap of the stage before anyone caught me.

If you're playing the Inkbrush, you've just gotta go fast and don't look back.

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
didn't try it in ranked yet (probably will never). my quite successful playstyle in turf wars: don't shoot for the center in the beginning. shoot directly for the enemy base. Use the advantage that while dashing you are extremely hard to hit. Proceed to play catch with your opponents until your team follows. In lucky scenarios they don't even notice you passing by, or don't really care. Go to the enemy base and renovate with spam attacks. It IS really good at covering a lot of turf in a short amount of time, you just need to stay mobile (source: regularly scoring 4 digits). They'll soon try to collectively take you out, but at this point your team already followed and you're kicking butt together. Alternatively, use ninja skills and surprise them with a swift backstabbing.

Man, the inkbrush is so goddamn cool. It really can carry a team if you know what you are doing. It also fills a special role that no other weapon can fill: the penetrator. You go straight through enemy ink in lightning speed, for christ's sake!

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
I think it's actually a pretty useful weapon. It's speed while painting is useful for getting to uninked turf quickly, and the painting you can do by mashing ZR really does cover a good area fast.

I don't like the way people are seeing it as totally useless. Sure, it's not for killing enemies, but the game is about inking turf, and this weapon certainly will do that given the chance.

Whenever my team mates use one, they always do poorly.
It's been less than a day, so we definitely need to give it some more time. People are still getting used to it, and i reckon it'll be pretty useful in the next while

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
It's been less than a day, so we definitely need to give it some more time. People are still getting used to it, and i reckon it'll be pretty useful in the next while
Yeah, after more time with it I do like it a lot better. I still have issues with it, though. Hopefully I can perfect my strategy with it and find it better.

Geno9999

Inkling
NNID
Geno9999
How to play Paintbrush: become the Scout. Be the constant annoyance to the enemy team. You don't fight fairly, you bash people's heads in from behind, or you're providing the distraction for the rest of your team. Top it off by backcap- I mean, Inkstrikes and sneaking into enemy base.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
After lots of turf wars, I find that the inkbrush is great for that mode. The biggest key is to use sprinklers constantly, and run from enemies. Also be sure to use inkstrikes as soon as possible. For individual stage strategy: in Blackbelly Skatepark, you can camp on top of the big pillar in the middle, throw sprinklers all over, jump down to ambush people, and then hop back up; in Port Mackerel, but I instead had to run all over to avoid enemies and ink places my team wasn't at. It works well, and I got over 1000p and was winning consistently. You covering lots of ink slows down your opponents and gives them less mobility, so you are still helping your team. I'll be doing lots of ranked testing later, so I'll come back with my findings then.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
Hmm, I'm not seeing what people are saying with it being weak in combat. Sure, if you run at them it is, but you have the speed to feint a retreat, slice a line through their ink and kill them before they turn around.

I handle encounters like that and I only ever die to .52 Gals from the back and rollers...from the back.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
Hmm, I'm not seeing what people are saying with it being weak in combat. Sure, if you run at them it is, but you have the speed to feint a retreat, slice a line through their ink and kill them before they turn around.

I handle encounters like that and I only ever die to .52 Gals from the back and rollers...from the back.
True, it isn't completely inept at combat(though still the worst out of all the weapons so far) but it really isn't the goal for it. I do find that it is good for ambushing if you throw a sprinkler to distract and give you cover you cover to sneak around. Still, it's best to ignore others so you don't risk dying, and so you can spread ink more quickly. Plus, if someone gives chase, then you teammates can come into the enemy turf more easily.

OmegaDivider

Squid Sisters Fanboy
NNID
OmegaDivider
True, it isn't completely inept at combat(though still the worst out of all the weapons so far) but it really isn't the goal for it. I do find that it is good for ambushing if you throw a sprinkler to distract and give you cover you cover to sneak around. Still, it's best to ignore others so you don't risk dying, and so you can spread ink more quickly. Plus, if someone gives chase, then you teammates can come into the enemy turf more easily.
I agree, headhunting isn't important but to completely pass up a chance to nullify an enemy with a weapon that excels at running away from a sticky situation (ie. after killing someone) seems like a bit of a waste.

But in the end, it still isn't the main focus, but it certainly isn't awful, in my opinion.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I agree, headhunting isn't important but to completely pass up a chance to nullify an enemy with a weapon that excels at running away from a sticky situation (ie. after killing someone) seems like a bit of a waste.

But in the end, it still isn't the main focus, but it certainly isn't awful, in my opinion.
I do take up good chances to splat someone, but I am careful about who I target. Rollers are the easiest, then chargers, then shooters, then blasters/.52 or .96 gal.

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
After using it some, I realize that I love this weapon. I think it'll end up being my main weapon. Don't worry Tentatek Splattershot, I still love you too, it's just... Sometimes you need a change, ya know?

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
After using it some, I realize that I love this weapon. I think it'll end up being my main weapon. Don't worry Tentatek Splattershot, I still love you too, it's just... Sometimes you need a change, ya know?
I love it as well, but I also love the Krak-On Splat Roller and Aerospray RG. I can always use it on the side, I suppose.

RayneTheSkunk

Inkster Jr.
I don't entirely get calling it weak. If its swipes are so fast that it doesn't matter if it takes 5 swings, if you get right on an expecting persons back or side they can't get out of it (though you do have to be right on top of them). And considering its speed its really good at getting that position if you move evasively/stealthily. Maybe that's just me but I wouldn't consider that "weak".

That said you really need to have that scout style skill to make that work at all. I think its fun cause I get a lot of personal enjoyment out of getting that sort of sneak up melee kill and I don't like the other rollers much. That said it definitely should be more of an opportunistic thing instead of something you go out of your way to do. It also kills well in full combat situations. If the enemy is busy shooting at a team mate instead that makes a great opportunity to move around them a slash the heck out of them from the side.

I feel like being an opportunistic assassin (or at least fast and annoying) is one of good uses of this weapon.

EDIT: Just remembered another thing. You can use it to lead other people since you can run away without going into ink. If you get someone who'd rather kill you or chase you down you can purposefully get caught and lead them where you want them to go.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I know what ya mean. I love the .52 Gal Deco (and sometimes use the Krak-On Splat Roller too), but sometimes I just want to zoom around with a paintbrush and pretend I'm using a sword in a shooter when I'm swinging it (which probably explains my generally poor performance with it).
I wouldn't say it's my new main weapon (still love ya, .52 Gals), but it's good for a change of pace (from "Ink slowly and shoot anything that moves/isn't your color, drop a Seeker and follow behind it when you can, also Inkstrike when you get a chance" to "WHEE I'M SONIC THE BLACK KNIGHT WATCH ME SPEED EVERYWHERE AND WHAPWHAPWHAPWHAPWHAP YOUR DUDES BACK TO THE SPAWN POINT, NOW I'M DROPPING A SPRINKLER ON THAT AREA YOU COVERED EARLIER AND IT'S MINE NOW, GUESS WHAT I JUST CHARGED IT'S INKSTRIKE TIME NOW DODGE THIS TORNADO OF INK WHILE I GET BEHIND YOU AND SPLAT YOU THEN GO BACK TO INKING EVERYTHING YOU COVERED WHILE I WAS DROPPING THE INKNADO ON YOU" (at least that's what I go for, it doesn't always work out).

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
In my opinion, it's about as useless as Pichu in Melee.
Ehh... No. It's really very useful, and while it might not suit your style, it certainly is nothing to laugh at. I've found that whenever i've been playing with it, my point score has usually been 4 digits, win or loss. The painting function not only can take out enemies if you get them by surprise, but can cover massive areas very quickly. The base in Saltspray Rig, for example , can be completely covered in mere seconds by a skilled inkbrush user.

It's simply a matter of tastes on how a weapon fits your playstyle. It might not work so well for you, but it is definitely a weapon of my choice. First thing to make me switch from the Splattershot Jr xP

How to play Paintbrush: become the Scout. Be the constant annoyance to the enemy team. You don't fight fairly, you bash people's heads in from behind, or you're providing the distraction for the rest of your team. Top it off by backcap- I mean, Inkstrikes and sneaking into enemy base.
That is a brilliant way of putting it, and Port Mackerel is a great example! I've found on several occasions i can quickly zip in past the enemy base to their two side corridors while their attention is focused on the battle in the centre.

...And now i can't get that comparison of the Scout out of my head xD "I make it look easy! If you order now, i'll throw in a second beating absolutely free!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom