Inking: Is the Aerospray really the best?

G

girigiriHERO

I'm wondering if anyone has examined this before. We all know the Aerospray has the best fire rate, but doesn't it's range give it a bit of handicap? Some other guns, like the N-Zap, have a good fire rate and better range, so it could be said that's covering more of the map in the same amount of time. Ink efficiency could also come in to play.

I can't think of a real way to test this, I think code mining might be the only way realistically.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I'd say yes, it is. That range doesn't matter when the area around it is instantly covered. It's more ink efficient than the N-Zap too.

Of course it sacrifices most everything else for this inking ability, so hey.

Senpai

Inkster Jr.
NNID
luigi8623
tbh it's only good in turf wars, not ranked.

Senpai

Inkster Jr.
NNID
luigi8623
Eh, the new PG has a kit that works in ranked, I'd only take it to SZ though.
haven't tested that one out yet, will give it a try later (however my main problem with the aerospray lies within it's weakness and inaccuracy)

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Of course that's all besides the point because the OP was simply asking about the weapon's inking ability, not it's viability in any mode.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I view and treat it as an automatic Inkbrush. It just feels like such, to me, given their turfing ability, ink efficiency, and attack strength.

Or maybe the Inkbrush is just a manual Aerospray.

But that's just opinion. I say, go ahead and do some data mining for some hard numbers.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'm also curious on the results on this, i think Aero, Inkbrush are strong contenders and maybe the Heavy too.

If we're talking about kits, though: If you're looking for inking, and only inking, vanilla inkbrush is the best in that department. It's own weapon is very good at inking, it has a sub that inks for it, and a special that also inks.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
The new PG is a great weapon all around. Even with the recent burst bomb nerf, it still can be really effective, especially for inkling. There is a reason Aerosprays used to be one of the most used weapons back in the early days. It's great in turf, and easy to use. And looking at the average numbers, in turf matches where my team wins, I usually get from 1100-1300 points, which I think is the highest average of all my weapons, aside from maybe the Splash o matic.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
No, the Aerospray is more and more horrible at inking the higher you go in rank for the same reasons rollers don't roll around in the open in ranked. In order to paint into enemy ink while contested, you need range, and the Aerospray doesn't have it. That's why things like Dynamos, L3's, Splatlings, etc are good at painting in competitive - they have the range to paint safely into enemy ink. Weapons like the Aerospray just get zoned out and can't paint anything.

Now do note that on some specific maps and modes, the Aerospray happens to be able to paint really well (like on Pit Zones, it can go top mid and get a perfect angle to paint zone), but in general it really won't be painting well at all in competitive play.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
No, the Aerospray is more and more horrible at inking the higher you go in rank for the same reasons rollers don't roll around in the open in ranked. In order to paint into enemy ink while contested, you need range, and the Aerospray doesn't have it. That's why things like Dynamos, L3's, Splatlings, etc are good at painting in competitive - they have the range to paint safely into enemy ink. Weapons like the Aerospray just get zoned out and can't paint anything.

Now do note that on some specific maps and modes, the Aerospray happens to be able to paint really well (like on Pit Zones, it can go top mid and get a perfect angle to paint zone), but in general it really won't be painting well at all in competitive play.
Whoops, how could i forget about the Dynamo?

I think OP's point was to find a weapon that inks map the fastest/most efficiently, not taking in mind anything else like enemy presence. If we actually do take those things in mind, then i'd narrow it down to Heavies and Dynamos.

G

girigiriHERO

I think OP's point was to find a weapon that inks map the fastest/most efficiently, not taking in mind anything else like enemy presence. If we actually do take those things in mind, then i'd narrow it down to Heavies and Dynamos.
You hit the nail on the head. I'm just thinking max fire rate doesn't immediately mean the best for covering turf.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The question then becomes one of comparison and timing. How much area does the aerospray cover in the one second wind-up of the dynamo?

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel

L3 Nozzlenose is insane at painting.. like, really good.

Zimi is also great because it's a pretty solid painting weapon with Disruptors, so you can paint well while preventing the enemy painting weapons from painting.

UnChosen

Inkster Jr.
The only reason why I still main Aerospray and Inkbrush in Turf War is because I am a low tier hero. The Dynamo Roller, Zink Mini, and L-3 Nozzlenose are far better even in Turf War. The Custom Hydra and the Heavy Remix are also better than the Aerospray overall. Just look at the top 5 in the last Japanese Splatfest, 7 Dynamo Rollers out of 10 says everything.

Those 1500p 2/0 KD I get looks good but is only second rate in comparison to those Dynamo Rollers with 1300p and 7/2 KD.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
GirigiriHERO does raise an interesting question, that a lot of people seem to be missing in this discussion :P Funny how that works.

UnChosen

Inkster Jr.
GirigiriHERO does raise an interesting question, that a lot of people seem to be missing in this discussion :p Funny how that works.
There is actually a table on the Splatoon wiki page about the main weapons that has painting rate data on it. I don't know if it is from data mining or testing but it seems to be accurate from my experience.

http://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Main_Weapon

G

girigiriHERO

GirigiriHERO does raise an interesting question, that a lot of people seem to be missing in this discussion :p Funny how that works.
I agree, but the discussion is still interesting none the less.

@UnChosen that table is amazing, thanks for the link, I'll check it more when I'm at home on my comp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom