• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inkling Shouldn't be in Smash

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
Ok, before you tear my head off, I do think Splatoon deserves a character representation in Smash, I just don't think it should be "Inkling Boy" or "Inkling Girl", but before I say who should be Splatoon's Smash rep, I want to point out that almost every fighter in Smash is a character, not an avatar, and clarify the difference between the two terms, specifically in video games.

Characters have personalities, they represent themselves in their video game universes, not the player, they often serve as the mascots of their respective franchises. They can be customizable (think Commander Sheppard), but when playing a game with a character, you are playing as them, not as yourself. For example, Link from The Legend of Zelda. Link is the Hero of Hyrule, not you. You are merely the driver.

Avatars on the other hand, are merely vessels through which the player interacts with the games world, and lack personalities of their own. They are usually customizable.
When playing with an avatar, they are meant to represent you, in a sense, they are you, as what you would look like, or would like to look like, in that game's world. As an example, what you play as in RPG's such as Skyrim.

Now that's taking care of, I do not think avatars should be fighters in Smash. However, there are characters who I think make the cut. Specifically, 2 of them...

Yes, instead of Inkling, I want Callie and Marie to be the Smash rep, (they could share a roster slot, like Olimar and Alph). They, I think, are better representatives than some soulless avatar, even if you don't play as them.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
Two things. Link is you. That's the concept behind Link, as mentioned several times by the heads behind each Zelda project.

Secondly, Robin is an avatar. All Fire Emblem player characters are.

I am quite fine with the Sisters being in Smash. Doesn't matter to me.
Yes, I'm aware of the origin of Link, it's where his name first came from, but Link himself is a character in the world of Hyrule, you are just merely driving him.

I'm admittedly not as familiar with FE, but from what I understand, Robin is a customizable character, not an avatar, could be totally wrong on this one though

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Knowing Nintendo it will be most likely be the basic Inklings probably based off the Inklings used in promotional materials including the ones in the cover art since many of those Inklings have been used for the promotional manga. The Inklings will also have a Callie and Marie palette but not their "hair" styles just the color of their tentacles. Maybe so the Inkling boys won't be left out of a special character a Captain Cuttlefish palette will also be used.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Actually, I don't think the Squid Sisters should even share the same slot. They prefer different weapon types, meaning that they'll most likely have entirely different playstyles (kind of like Mario and Luigi, actually).

As for alternate colors, I'd be sold if they had their Agent 1/2 guises as a different skin.

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
Ok, before you tear my head off, I do think Splatoon deserves a character representation in Smash, I just don't think it should be "Inkling Boy" or "Inkling Girl", but before I say who should be Splatoon's Smash rep, I want to point out that every fighter in Smash is a character, not an avatar, and clarify the difference between the two terms, specifically in video games.

Characters have personalities, they represent themselves in their video game universes, not the player, they often serve as the mascots of their respective franchises. They can be customizable (think Commander Sheppard), but when playing a game with a character, you are playing as them, not as yourself. For example, Link from The Legend of Zelda. Link is the Hero of Hyrule, not you. You are merely the driver.

Avatars on the other hand, are merely vessels through which the player interacts with the games world, and lack personalities of their own. They are usually customizable.
When playing with an avatar, they are meant to represent you, in a sense, they are you, as what you would look like, or would like to look like, in that game's world. As an example, what you play as in RPG's such as Skyrim.

Now that's taking care of, I do not think avatars should be fighters in Smash. However, there are characters who I think make the cut. Specifically, 2 of them...

Yes, instead of Inkling, I want Callie and Marie to be the Smash rep, (they could share a roster slot, like Olimar and Alph). They, I think, are better representatives than some soulless avatar, even if you don't play as them.

What do you guys think?
lol when I saw the topic name I was like "Wendigo why?!" but I see your point. I do agree that avatars tend can be soulless, but I think this is slightly different. First off, the inklings' do have character because of their expressions, and physical presence that we see primarily in inkopolis but also gameplay. Just by looking at inkopolis you get the feeling that inklings are basically kids who are slightly mischievous and love to fool around. In miiverse I think people feel the same way, because when I see inklings in pictures they are given plenty of emotion.

So again although avatars are generally soulless, I think Inklings are different.
That...and I'd rather have inklings with several awesome costumes reping Splatoon, but yah different opinions

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
Actually, I don't think the Squid Sisters should even share the same slot. They prefer different weapon types, meaning that they'll most likely have entirely different playstyles (kind of like Mario and Luigi, actually).

As for alternate colors, I'd be sold if they had their Agent 1/2 guises as a different skin.
I would love their Agent costumes too

lol when I saw the topic name I was like "Wendigo why?!" but I see your point. I do agree that avatars tend can be soulless, but I think this is slightly different. First off, the inklings' do have character because of their expressions, and physical presence that we see primarily in inkopolis but also gameplay. Just by looking at inkopolis you get the feeling that inklings are basically kids who are slightly mischievous and love to fool around. In miiverse I think people feel the same way, because when I see inklings in pictures they are given plenty of emotion.

So again although avatars are generally soulless, I think Inklings are different.
That...and I'd rather have inklings with several awesome costumes reping Splatoon, but yah different opinions
A fair point, calling the Inkling's soulless would be unfair, however, there's nothing about an individual Inkling that makes it stand out from the crowd outside of wardrobe, so I'm hesitant about them being in a mascot fighter

Last edited by a moderator:

Anonymous84

Inkling
NNID
Anonymous84
Agent 3 is you
Link is you.

I'm having trouble seeing the distinction. If anything, you could argue that the story in LoZ is generally more fleshed-out, as it's the focal point of the games, but in both you control a canon character, fight through a story, defeat the evil (misunderstood?) character at the end, and the credits roll. If I'm understanding what you're saying, the fact that your character can be customized and used in online battles is what invalidates them for use in Smash?

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
Link is you.

I'm having trouble seeing the distinction. If anything, you could argue that the story in LoZ is generally more fleshed-out, as it's the focal point of the games, but in both you control a canon character, fight through a story, defeat the evil (misunderstood?) character at the end, and the credits roll. If I'm understanding what you're saying, the fact that your character can be customized and used in online battles is what invalidates them for use in Smash?
The way I see it, the story mode in Splatoon isn't using a canon character saving Inkopolis it's you. You are controlling Link, but Link isn't you, Link has a separate personality from you're own, Agent 3 doesn't.

In the op I only mentioned customization because I was worried people would use it as criteria for judging whether something is an avatar or character, when both can be customized. I never mentioned being able to use them online in the op

Anonymous84

Inkling
NNID
Anonymous84
The way I see it, the story mode in Splatoon isn't using a canon character saving Inkopolis it's you. You are controlling Link, but Link isn't you, Link has a separate personality from you're own, Agent 3 doesn't.

In the op I only mentioned customization because I was worried people would use it as criteria for judging whether something is an avatar or character, when both can be customized. I never mentioned being able to use them online in the op
Sorry, didn't meant to imply you'd used online play as a point, but I can see how I did. I guess I have trouble seeing how characters like Link or Robin, who you can name and are clearly meant to represent "you," aren't considered avatars while your character in Splatoon is. Robin has the most personality by far, as he actually speaks and interacts heavily with other characters in-game, but you choose his entire appearance, his battle style, etc.

In face, Robin in FE is the "tactician," which is a clever way to explain how you, the person at the controls, are maneuvering all these other characters on the battlefield. You are the tactician, and Robin is your avatar.

We may just have to agree to disagree, but I believe avatars can and have been used in Smash.

Side Note: ****ing hell the possibility of Agent 1 and 2 costumes make me want Callie and Marie anyway.

GeeCee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GeeCee
Did you forget about Villager?
The fact that he/she is an avatar doesn't take away from his/her personality and unique game play mechanics. If anything, inklings are so distinctive design wise give them even a better chance of being portrayed in Smash.
The customization gives the devs plenty of options for alts.

Anonymous84

Inkling
NNID
Anonymous84
The fact that he/she is an avatar doesn't take away from his/her personality and unique game play mechanics. If anything, inklings are so distinctive design wise give them even a better chance of being portrayed in Smash.
Another good point. I completely forgot about Villager. Dude doesn't even have a name.

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
Just wanted to point out that I'm not using customization as something only one or the other has, they both can have it. Yes I forgot Villager, who's inclusion I have problems with. He's fun to play as though I guess I should say my preferences is characters > avatars

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686

While I prefer regular Inkling girls with Callie and Marie palette swaps anyway, remember that characters like Ness and Lucas also borrows moves from other characters in their respective games so it should not be a problem.

GeeCee

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GeeCee
Just wanted to point out that I'm not using customization as something only one or the other has, they both can have it. Yes I forgot Villager, who's inclusion I have problems with. He's fun to play as though I guess I should say my preferences is characters > avatars
Yeah I understand. But if it comes to opinion, we could never agree on character inclusion or representation of franchises.
I like Callie and Marie as much as the next guy, but logically, as the game revolves around Inklings, they should get the spot.
Besides Callie - Marie swaps, I would like to see an Octoling alt.

Shuriblur

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shuriblur
Being a pretty big Inkling supporter, I may be a bit biased on this, but I do believe the Inklings are a bit more recognizable than Callie and Marie. Nothing wrong with either of those characters, I adore them, but Inklings just make sense.

Villager is probably the biggest thing against your point, which they have already been stated.

Plus, when ever you see advertisement for Splatoon you see the Inkling boy or girl (mostly girl.) They are the face of the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom