• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Inkling Shouldn't be in Smash

Psycho_Wendigo

Resident World Devourer
NNID
PyschoWendigo
As many of you have pointed out, my statement about no avatars being in Smash was false, I have edited the op

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I almost would rather they be stage elements and the Octolings as the Assist. Then again, I guess it'd be a pretty boring assist (They are just like the Inklings) so maybe the other way around would be better, especially if the stage features any of octo-valley.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Definitely Pokémon to support your point. Pikachu is an avatar clearly in the Mystery Dungeon series, being the vessel for you in a Pokémon's body.
There's also Pokémon Trainer in Brawl, who also has no name.

I recall mention that one of the biggest factors in a new character being added is whether or not that character can be represented as faithfully to their source material as possible. As stated before, Villager is a customizable player avatar, and he/she got a faithful fighting game moveset despite coming from one of the most peaceful game series ever. If the character can be represented faithfully, anything's possible.
While the series has moved away from that as it went on, characters like Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, and Ganondorf aren't really that faithful to their original appearances. Mario's moves are so he's a shotoclone.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Inklings absolutely should be in Smash. While there certainly is a character/avatar distinction, and supposing for argument's sake that inklings are simply avatars, I don't see why only characters should be included in Smash. Even if this was a well established precedent (and it isn't) I would have no qualms about breaking it.

Moreover, it should be possible to use info from the savedata or server, such that there's an option for one's inkling in Smash to be just one's inkling from Splatoon - that is, wearing the same outfit, and perhaps even with little stat boosts which reflect the gear abilities that you have equipped. Come on Nintendo - make it happen.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Moreover, it should be possible to use info from the savedata or server, such that there's an option for one's inkling in Smash to be just one's inkling from Splatoon - that is, wearing the same outfit, and perhaps even with little stat boosts which reflect the gear abilities that you have equipped. Come on Nintendo - make it happen.
People suggested the same thing for the Villager, and I find it to be equally as ridiculous and nightmarish to implement now as I did then. Especially considering how much work that would pump into one singular character.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
No argument here - I'm no expert on these matters - this is more a "wouldn't it be neat if...", rather than serious idea pitch.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
EDIT: I am editing this post so it's easier to read and makes a little more sense.

1. Inklings are the most recognizable characters from Splatoon not only due to being the most marketed,
but also being the character that the player controls. The character the player controls is usually the
ones that get the spot in smash. Not only that, but out of all of the characters in Splatoon, they very
likely have the most votes in the Smash Ballot.

2. Callie and Marie is generally only known in the Splatoon fanbase and at this point are better
Assist Trophy material as others have stated. You cannot have one without the other so they would
have to have to be a duo character which cannot work as DLC in Smash 4 due to the 3DS.
Sakurai has stated that the 3DS and Wii U must have the same character roster, no exceptions.

This is why we don't have the Ice Climbers. They're veterans who appeared in Melee and Brawl and
their main gimmick is that you're controlling two characters at once. They would have been playable
but due to the 3DS's hardware limitations, they were scrapped despite running fine on the Wii U.
This is also why Zero Suit Samus and Sheik are completely separate characters this time around.

Callie and Marie are not seen battling despite them claiming their participation.
And I think the fanbase would want them to have a move set that only they can do.
Giving them the Inkling's weapons doesn't really make much sense.

3. You can think all day what their move set is and there's a lot of good choices but I see them
having a move set based on the Splattershot, which the Female Inkling uses on the main box art.
Not only that, you can turn around and use that move set as a base for an Octoling "Clone" which
would require little work compared to making a full fledged new character.

4. As everyone already said, the Villager is an avatar too, doesn't have an actual name, doesn't have an
actual personality, you can change what he looks like, but he's the playable one, so he gets the spot,
despite the Animal Crossing fans wanting Tom Nook and K.K. Slider.

Last edited:

oval

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Weatie
Switch Friend Code
SW-0864-5796-0493
I don't own smash, but from watching a few videos I can tell the inkling character is pretty badass. The squid sisters would be a good addition/replacement but if anything I think octolings should have a place too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom