• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Introducing The League [name WIP]; an alternative to the endless stream of tournaments

Match format?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Time for me to chime back in over here. Read most of everything.
1. Put high emphasis in advertising the streams during the tournaments. This is literally the baseline for about everything. More people watch tournaments, more people want to make teams to play tournaments. Having solid commentary and trying to push viewer streams as much as we can, with a league or without one, is what leads to more people getting into it
2. Set up high profile matches. We obviously can't rely on tournaments to get people hyped. What we need to do is set up high profile matches between high profile teams. Bo7 games, blown up and put up on many streams with good commentary and pushed to people looking into the scene. We need to use this commentary and these games to show that Splatoon is an exciting, interesting competitive shooter that we all know that it is. That first word is key *exciting*. Exciting is what sells, so if we want to turn the eyes of people we would want to turn the eyes of to make splatoon come out as a legitimate option for competitive shooters, then we need to set up exciting matches and get people to pay attention to them and talk about them, preferably not only on SBoards.
3. Good options for new teams to play in. Let's face it, as fun as it is to watch TSB win another tourney, we need to make sure lower teams have their chance to shine. Make tournaments aimed specifically at them after the community grows some (and we have the numbers), and honor rookie teams that do really well. While the high profile matches between the top teams is what gets people into the scene, honor and glory given to the smaller teams is what keeps newer teams from being discouraged and from ultimately leaving the scene. SCL has dabbled with 'rookie tournaments' before, and it's an idea I have held off on in part because the community needs to grow some. But we will be the first to push such things if this league helps the community take off.
4. Work with already established things to help push the name farther and become better recognized. The more we're talked about, the more high names will give us glances. It's at that point that our high levels of tournaments and general hype in the growing community, as well as outreach and the stir we make to others outside will let people higher up see that we are a worthwhile investment.

*coughs*
;)

I mean, I guess I'll try to get Eirik to plug the community & Squidboards bit more, but I can't make any promises. Seeing as how he missed my request last time that I asked like 5 times for lol

But yeah, I agree with everything there. I'm hoping we're slowly building. I feel like we're growing as a community more than we think we are. There are new squads popping up every day, and more of these go to play in tournaments.

Anyways, a solidified league is definitely the next step to get teams playing eachother on a scheduled basis. Trying to bring on board quality casts for this would also be huge, and we could definitely do more in the advertizing department.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Are details being worked out now or are you still waiting for input? Is it possible at this point to give an estimate of a general time frame when this would begin?

Njok

Bouncer
Are details being worked out now or are you still waiting for input? Is it possible at this point to give an estimate of a general time frame when this would begin?
Details are being worked out now. I don't want to give a time frame that we might not be able to live up to, but I can say we're pushing it to make an announcement ASAP.

Input is still always welcome by the way.

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18
Details are being worked out now. I don't want to give a time frame that we might not be able to live up to, but I can say we're pushing it to make an announcement ASAP.

Input is still always welcome by the way.
Just curious, is Five Leaf Clover helping you work on this system? He mentioned in his farewell (i guess?) stream that he would work on a system of some kind for the community before leaving competitive Splatoon.

Njok

Bouncer
Just curious, is Five Leaf Clover helping you work on this system? He mentioned in his farewell (i guess?) stream that he would work on a system of some kind for the community before leaving competitive Splatoon.
I would think he was referring to Splatnasium, which everyone should join by the way ;)

DoctorStew

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DoctorStew64
Excuse me for my inelegant style of listing questions, and my appolagies if they have been answered previosuly.
Would this league end up being (or attempting to be) the main competitive scene of splatoon?
If so, how many teams and/or leagues would there be.
How long is a season planning to be?
And how strict would scheduling of matches be, and what penalties would be in place if a match is not made by a team?

Zarkith

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zarkith
Excuse me for my inelegant style of listing questions, and my appolagies if they have been answered previosuly.
Would this league end up being (or attempting to be) the main competitive scene of splatoon?
If so, how many teams and/or leagues would there be.
How long is a season planning to be?
And how strict would scheduling of matches be, and what penalties would be in place if a match is not made by a team?
-We're not attempting to create our own separate competitive scene or diminish the current one in any way. This league is intended to help maintain and grow the current, existing scene.
-As many signup.
-Minimum 2 months, not counting any Post season.
-How strict we are depends on that team's behavior. Stuff comes up and teams suddenly can't play, we get that. But don't expect anyone who just flakes on us or their opponents without warning to stay in the season for very long.

We'll have more specific details soon.

DoctorStew

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DoctorStew64
We'll have more specific details soon.
Looking forward to it, have many high ranking/well known squads expressed interest? I'd love for this to become popular, both as a viewer and competitor.

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
Looking forward to it, have many high ranking/well known squads expressed interest? I'd love for this to become popular, both as a viewer and competitor.
Not too many. However we expect that once signups come out that most if not all competitive teams join so that this can become popular and effective in growing the competitive scene (and hopefully fun too.) We hope that as many teams as possible know about this when it gets started so they can join and help push the scene towards a great future.

Nin404

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-7673-7485-2697
i would probably like A the best

J.E. Rodríguez

Inkling
NNID
JoSeDu27
I'm kinda new to the game and I'm not even in a squad right joe but i would love a splatoon league. I feel like it would help the community grow and would make people see splatoon as a serious game

Power

Inkling Commander
Any updates on this? or should we just wait for an announcement from you guys?

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
The Hightide Era is interested in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom