• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is .52 Gal "Broken" in Tower Control?

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
Huh, are the towers different heights on different maps? I didn't think it was so short, but in that video it's obviously shorter than Walls.

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
Firstly, let's look at the .52 Gal and what it's capable of.
Sub Weapon:
FTFY

Exaggerated obviously but the wall is just a dominating sub for this mode right now and is very well matched with the gun and wail lol

Don't go screaming for nerf yet or anything, last time that happened stealth jump of all things was toned down, metagame can always change guys

UnLucky

Semi-Pro Squid
The tower should absolutely not just clip right through Splash Walls. Either crush the thing (making it next to useless) or push it along, which is still immensely useful as an actual wall. Heck, if the tower 'bounced' and counted as damage against the Wall that'd be fine too, since that has an obvious benefit to slowing their advance while not being straight up superior to every other sub weapon in the game.

Also there's no reason the tower should ever take less than 30 seconds till knockout on the first pass. Absolutely inexcusable.

DaisyFan

Pro Squid
Reason of using Quick respawn is simply because if the team wipe. tho you're right about Tenacity. its good, but am not fan of it.

Edited: More likely The splat Wall is fine, problem is the tower himself. they need to fix the tower.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
but I really don't plan on playing much ranked since I'm maxed out anyways.

Well, the only thing left to discuss is the Splash Wall. It occurred to me being that Splash Wall negates all enemy fire, and has a hitbox, that it is perfectly suited for this game type.
I just want to throw out there that I don't like people saying that as a reason not to play Ranked anymore.

Anyway, the 52 Gal is a great weapon in general and it's no worse in Tower Control. The Inkwall does have a weakness though ─ it has a health bar. I've seen people try to abuse the Inkwall in this gametype only to have the Inkwall instantly melted and their cover blown. Yes, the Inkwall is still strong in Tower Control and along with Rollers and Blasters it currently defines the mode, but it can be countered by just shooting at it or using splash damage behind it.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
It's a bit frustrating that every time we get a new weapon or mode there's always posts asking for or discussing potential nerfs. First the aero spray with the worlds worst range, then rollers, and now this. Please note that I'm not specifically frustrated with the OP but the mentality the community already seems to have towards buffs and nerfs. I recognise OP is promoting discussion and not making a suggestion.

Tower control has been out a couple of days and if anything it's splash walls that are so good. People have already started to adapt in A- rooms by approaching from the sides of the tower instead to bypass the wall rather than fighting it and wasting time. It's all about strategy. Blasters aren't broken for similar reasons because getting off the tower is an option. Neither are ink mines.

If anything, ask for buffs for other weapons so that they don't all become the gun equivalent of stealth jump. It'd be great if all weapons had similar competence but tbh most of them are really legit. There's no denying the .52 is strong but it requires great accuracy and has subpar range. If it truly is that bad a weapon to face, then a defense up might actually be worth it to increase it's shots to kill.

Mr_Klick

Inkling
NNID
mrormissshiek
i find that the .52 gal isnt broken in tower control but is pretty good. The splat wall in general may be the best sub but that is in my opinion. but the .52 gal is a force to be reckoned with. .52 gal is also probably the best ranked battle weapon due to its defensive play style because in ranked battle most of the time you are protecting something

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
After playing with the .52 gal a bit more I actually swapped to the Custom Duel Squelcher and I'm having much better luck in ranked. The placement of beacons is great for getting back to key areas and swarming the enemy without being obvious. The ability to kill from so far away is great too because you can avoid being ambushed whilst taking out multiple people on the tower. I was getting 11-5 pretty consistently.

That being said, the .52 is still amazing. People have already wised up to the splash walls though.

16bit

Inkling
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
When I was in C, .52 dominated. Now that I'm better, though, I've noticed people now know how to play against it. Still great, though.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
There are no "Broken" weapons in the game. Everything is balanced and good

Nucleose

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KingNucleose
So if the Gal is great for supporting rather than being on the tower, is there anything that's actually good for moving the tower, or is the idea only to move the tower when the entire enemy team is dead?

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
So if the Gal is great for supporting rather than being on the tower, is there anything that's actually good for moving the tower, or is the idea only to move the tower when the entire enemy team is dead?
It's pretty hard to move the tower as you're in an open position and might as well be dressed as a giant target. That said, I think bubbler/kraken specials should occupy the tower due to their temporary invulnerability. I also recommend splash wall users as riders, as they can throw out the wall to protect themselves whilst teammates cover the sides and back.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
Imo .52 gal is a strong gun across the board, it having a sub that's particularly well suited for tower control just makes it REALLY GOOD. Not broken per se, but definitely great.

I will caution against relying on bubbler too much to stay on the tower, I splatted 3 bubbler'd people with a blaster on bluefin depot by knocking them right off the tower and into the water with one shot. Kraken probably has the same problem now lol.

BluEyes

Senior Squid
The only broken are rollers. they are good in all three modes. The gal or blasters are not broken. Map and mode rotations are the reasons why it is essential to choose a weapon that suits the map and mode NOT playstyle. Those blaster or gal users in tower are just using what is effective for that mode. The sooner you realise that there is no one weapon fits all, the better.
I use .96 gal for splat zones and spash o matic for tower. RG for turf.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
There are no "Broken" weapons in the game. Everything is balanced and good
The only broken are rollers. they are good in all three modes. The gal or blasters are not broken. Map and mode rotations are the reasons why it is essential to choose a weapon that suits the map and mode NOT playstyle. Those blaster or gal users in tower are just using what is effective for that mode. The sooner you realise that there is no one weapon fits all, the better.
I use .96 gal for splat zones and spash o matic for tower. RG for turf.
Please refer to my previous post on pg. 1:
Also, I did not literally mean "broken", hence the quotes. I just think it is the best weapon for Tower Control.

Last edited:

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
Be specific. Which one? There are too many posts and I see that you are undecided. Have you even answered your own post?
Wowzers. Don't think it can get more specific than a statement referring you to a previous post followed by the exact post I'm referring to in quotations. I'm sorry.

Last edited:

BluEyes

Senior Squid
It can get more specific since you have more than 1 post in page one. Duuh!!

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
It can get more specific since you have more than 1 post in page one. Duuh!!
I literally provided you with the exact statement I'm referring to, in quotations. There's actually no room for confusion.

At this point I have to assume you are either trolling or simply unawares, but either way this conversation is unproductive and off-topic, so I'll leave you to sort yourself out.

Curious to see how the .96 Deco stacks up side-by-side with the .52 Gal tonight.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom