Is "Damage Up" Becoming Pointless?

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
I'd actually recommend you invest in swim speed or respawn over ink saver main. Im curious actually as to why you would even have this on a blaster build when their shots take up hardly any ink. This is coming from a Luna blaster main btw.

As far as damage up goes, it is usable now still but not as necessary as it was pre-patch. I like this as it opens up more ability sets for blasters. I've made the switch over to maxing out respawn and swim speed and I am still hitting 2hko and 1hko just fine.
This is false as blasters use up quite albeit of ink. They use a lot of it per shot, but it FEELS that way because of their slow fire rate. They consume 8% of your tank per shot. That is only 12 shots for a full tank of ink. When you have bad fire rate, large ink consumption, and bad close range abilities, you need to not run out of ink as running out of ink with this weapon means death.

iiGGYxD

Inkling
This is false as blasters use up quite albeit of ink. They use a lot of it per shot, but it FEELS that way because of their slow fire rate. They consume 8% of your tank per shot. That is only 12 shots for a full tank of ink. When you have bad fire rate, large ink consumption, and bad close range abilities, you need to not run out of ink as running out of ink with this weapon means death.
I'm able to drop an ink mine and get off 3-4 + shots with the luna blaster before refilling ink. You shouldn't ever need more than that amount of shots at any given point of time to take out an opponent. Most blasters will spend most of their time submerged in ink swimming around as well, reducing the need for any ink saver or ink recovery. I'd be interested in seeing how you play that warrants the ink saver main ability.

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
I'm able to drop an ink mine and get off 3-4 + shots with the luna blaster before refilling ink. You shouldn't ever need more than that amount of shots at any given point of time to take out an opponent. Most blasters will spend most of their time submerged in ink swimming around as well, reducing the need for any ink saver or ink recovery. I'd be interested in seeing how you play that warrants the ink saver main ability.
You speak for the Luna Blaster as if it represents blasters as a whole. A fact that I want to mention to you is that Luna, unlike the other Blasters, the standard and the range, is that it consumes less in per shot than the other blasters do. In fact, with Luna you get an extra 4 shots vs the Normal and 6 extra compared to the Range Blaster.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
You speak for the Luna Blaster as if it represents blasters as a whole. A fact that I want to mention to you is that Luna, unlike the other Blasters, the standard and the range, is that it consumes less in per shot than the other blasters do. In fact, with Luna you get an extra 4 shots vs the Normal and 6 extra compared to the Range Blaster.
Well with the Luna, I run Tenacity, Bomb Sniffer, and (as of recent) Damage Up as my mains, with 4 quick respawns, 3 defense ups, and 2 ink recovery ups as my subs.
Using that today on Tower Control at Hammerhead Bridge and Blackbelly Skatepark, I was able to rocket up from A+ back to S again, getting 11-20 splats each time; So I recommend that set up. (Man I felt so awesome when I got 20 splats).

I'm not saying I have the best setup, but it definitely works well. I'm starting to see Defense Up is required on blaster-favorable maps, and I saw the benefit of Damage Up as well (for the first time not against me). Since it's Tower Control, Bomb Sniffer's good for mines and other bombs you can't see, and the quick respawns help get you back to the Tower faster.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
The thing about Damage Up (as well as most Splatoon abilities) is that they aren't very useful unless you understand why you are using them.

It would be foolish to use Damage Up on a low damage shooter (such as the Aerospray) but it works great on chargers and high damage shooters (like the .96 Gal)

GreenSpiny

Full Squid
The thing about Damage Up (as well as most Splatoon abilities) is that they aren't very useful unless you understand why you are using them.

It would be foolish to use Damage Up on a low damage shooter (such as the Aerospray) but it works great on chargers and high damage shooters (like the .96 Gal)
Can you elaborate on this, because I don't see it that way. The .96 gal 2-shots regardless of defense, and its subs don't really benefit from damage up (sprinkler / splash wall are for utility, echolocator does nothing and kraken is a one-shot splat). The only reason I see to use it is to take out an enemy with prior damage, but that applies to all weapons.

I think it's less about the damage of the weapon, but its kit and how likely defense up is to mess with it. Also how costly landing one extra shot is, based on fire rate. Rollers and chargers get a different benefit, I'm not arguing there.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Can you elaborate on this, because I don't see it that way. The .96 gal 2-shots regardless of defense, and its subs don't really benefit from damage up (sprinkler / splash wall are for utility, echolocator does nothing and kraken is a one-shot splat). The only reason I see to use it is to take out an enemy with prior damage, but that applies to all weapons.

I think it's less about the damage of the weapon, but its kit and how likely defense up is to mess with it. Also how costly landing one extra shot is, based on fire rate. Rollers and chargers get a different benefit, I'm not arguing there.
Here is why you want damage up on a .96 Gal:

-The .96 Gal does 62 damage at its base. This is of course enough to splat it two hits or splat someone who has already taken 38 damage in one hit.

-Now there are only a few weapons that do 38 damage or more so the number of one hit KOs you get will be pretty small.

-Consider if you instead did 74 damage, the lowest damage weapon in the game does 26 damage, 74 + 26 = Dead Inkling.

-That would mean that if the enemy has been hit at all they will die to you, doesn't matter the source, meaning one hits become far more likely.

Though in order to get to 74 damage you need to use a full set of three mains, a full set of 9 subs or some combination of the two. So the cost is half your gear slots.

Last edited:

GreenSpiny

Full Squid
Here is why you want damage up on a .96 Gal:

-The .96 Gal does 62 damage at its base. This is of course enough to splat it two hits or splat someone who has already taken 38 damage in one hit.

-Now there are only a few weapons that do 38 damage or more so the number of one hit KOs you get will be pretty small.

-Consider if you instead did 74 damage, the lowest damage weapon in the game does 26 damage, 74 + 26 = Dead Inkling.

-That would mean that if the enemy has been hit at all they will die to you, doesn't matter the source, meaning one hits become far more likely.
Ah. I see your point now, that's pretty interesting.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
There is a third case that I forgot about, the .52 Gal does 52 damage so almost any defense up against this weapon will bring it down to a 3 hit kill. So damage up on that weapon might be a good idea simply to defend against defense up.

Demosthenes

Inkling
NNID
OrigamiMan
From an E-Liter 3k main, I've stopped using Damage Up as it now feels pretty pointless to me. If it doesn't help with close combat nearly as much as it used to, I'd much rather run Ink Saver (Sub) instead for Burst Bombs, or Ink Recovery Up / Ink Saver Main.

So yeah, for me it's now one of the lower-tier abilities.
Though I do see a lot of people with like, 5 mains worth of Damage Up on E-Liters....

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
From an E-Liter 3k main, I've stopped using Damage Up as it now feels pretty pointless to me. If it doesn't help with close combat nearly as much as it used to, I'd much rather run Ink Saver (Sub) instead for Burst Bombs, or Ink Recovery Up / Ink Saver Main.

So yeah, for me it's now one of the lower-tier abilities.
Though I do see a lot of people with like, 5 mains worth of Damage Up on E-Liters....
I kind of figured this would happen with the nerf. Damage Up should still be good for other chargers though.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
Any thought on Damage Up for Rainmaker? Unlike for bullets on shooters and such, damage caps don't apply to the Rainmaker's Shield (or the Splash Wall, as an aside), so I imagine a weapon like a Heavy Splatling, Sploosh-o-Matic, or Aerospray MG would benefit from being able to apply massive amounts of DPS, holding the Shield against teams when you have limited support or being able to overwhelm in the situations where support is even. Is that too specific a use? How often do you find yourself on opposite sides of the Shield, with neither team gaining ground?

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
Any thought on Damage Up for Rainmaker? Unlike for bullets on shooters and such, damage caps don't apply to the Rainmaker's Shield (or the Splash Wall, as an aside), so I imagine a weapon like a Heavy Splatling, Sploosh-o-Matic, or Aerospray MG would benefit from being able to apply massive amounts of DPS, holding the Shield against teams when you have limited support or being able to overwhelm in the situations where support is even. Is that too specific a use? How often do you find yourself on opposite sides of the Shield, with neither team gaining ground?
I'll have to test out if it's true that damage up doesn't cap against the rainmaker's shield. But I'd agree that because of their high DPS and if it doesn't cap damage up could potentionally be useful at high fire rate weapons in Rainmaker.

It should be pretty easy to test with the Aerospray. I'll let you know what I find out.

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
I mean, I already told you that it works (after testing it the same way), but if you want to check it yourself, by all means.

1 Damage Up main applies about a 9% damage increase. 2 Damage Up mains apply about a 16% damage increase. 3 Damage Up mains apply about a 22% damage increase. Not sure where the lines of "useful" and "too much specialization" are placed, though.

Isan

Pro Squid
NNID
Isan-Sarinasu
Well after using damage up for some time, I've realized that I'm an idiot. I currently only use two sub damage ups, and I can tell it makes a huge difference.

Still gotta have that swim speed though~

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom