Is defense up worth it?

JoshDaBoss27

Inkster Jr.
I would possibly put 1 defense up main on there if you are used to seeing tentatek/octoshot a lot.
I did not, in fact, put defense up on this list. :(

Here's a list I made of SOME (not listing all) abilities ranked from great all the way down to nearly useless.

Great
Ink resistance up
Cold-blooded (sounds really bad from the description but it literally only lets you get tracked for 2.0 seconds which is insanely useful)
Ninja Squid (If you like camping)
Stealth Jump (makes it excessively easy to super jump safely)

Good
Bomb range up (good as main & decent as sub)

O.K.
Comeback (gives some boosts but not enough to have a significant effect)
Ink recovery up (this is good for sloshers though)
Opening Gambit

Bad
Special duration up (only good with 3 mains but ain't nobody got slots for that :/ )
Ink saver main
Last-ditch effort (gives 2 big boosts but may not come into effect during ranked)

Terrible
Quick Respawn (with 3 mains it only shortens it by 1 second)
Swim Speed up (even with the 1.3 update it still sucks)
Run Speed up (this is popular, but it only shortens an 11-second run with no mains or subs to 9 seconds with 2 mains)

Nearly useless
Tenacity (at max speed it takes you >40 seconds of doing no inking to charge and at lowest speed it takes you >2 minutes of no inking to charge)

Just remember that this is not a complete list, but I put some of the most common and popular abilities. Stay fresh!​

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
I would possibly put 1 defense up main on there if you are used to seeing tentatek/octoshot a lot.
I did not, in fact, put defense up on this list. :(

Here's a list I made of SOME (not listing all) abilities ranked from great all the way down to nearly useless.

Great
Ink resistance up
Cold-blooded (sounds really bad from the description but it literally only lets you get tracked for 2.0 seconds which is insanely useful)
Ninja Squid (If you like camping)
Stealth Jump (makes it excessively easy to super jump safely)

Good
Bomb range up (good as main & decent as sub)

O.K.
Comeback (gives some boosts but not enough to have a significant effect)
Ink recovery up (this is good for sloshers though)
Opening Gambit

Bad
Special duration up (only good with 3 mains but ain't nobody got slots for that :/ )
Ink saver main
Last-ditch effort (gives 2 big boosts but may not come into effect during ranked)

Terrible
Quick Respawn (with 3 mains it only shortens it by 1 second)
Swim Speed up (even with the 1.3 update it still sucks)
Run Speed up (this is popular, but it only shortens an 11-second run with no mains or subs to 9 seconds with 2 mains)

Nearly useless
Tenacity (at max speed it takes you >40 seconds of doing no inking to charge and at lowest speed it takes you >2 minutes of no inking to charge)

Just remember that this is not a complete list, but I put some of the most common and popular abilities. Stay fresh!​
I don't think ink saver main and run speed up are bad at all. Run speed up is good because it also makes you walk faster while shooting which make you a harder target for incoming enemies. Ink saver main is pretty good for weapons that use ink too fast like pro, .96 gal, sloshes, etc.

JoshDaBoss27

Inkster Jr.
I don't think ink saver main and run speed up are bad at all. Run speed up is good because it also makes you walk faster while shooting which make you a harder target for incoming enemies. Ink saver main is pretty good for weapons that use ink too fast like pro, .96 gal, sloshes, etc.
I appreciate your valid points, but I have already taken this into account. I may make edits to this, but for right now it is staying there.
Stay fresh!

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
The way I use defence up is on a Hydra Splatling, helps to keep bombs from moving you off of good positions where you won't get shot at too much.

SquiddiamFancyson

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DowntownMountain
Defense up is incredible at the moment and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It severely messes with chargers, it irritates the majority of tentateks (sine the majority are running pure mobility builds ATM), it reduces the change of a trade and sort of compensates for Splatoons lag issues. I think most weapons that don't particularly NEED anything should stack tons of it. It's particularly amazing on weapons with walls, and aggressive weapons such as the Luna (making trades even more probable, and forgiving reckless play).

TheReflexWonder

Inkster Jr.
NNID
TheReflexWonder
One of those abilities where its effectiveness is heavily dependent on weapon choice. If you've ever been left fuming over a .52 Gal, Splattershot, Charger or Burst Bombs ruining your day, stacking a bit of Defense Up might be exactly what you're looking for. (Not sure if Damage Up is still the meta on Chargers with the reduced damage in Patch 2.2, but I see it a lot.)

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
One of those abilities where its effectiveness is heavily dependent on weapon choice. If you've ever been left fuming over a .52 Gal, Splattershot, Charger or Burst Bombs ruining your day, stacking a bit of Defense Up might be exactly what you're looking for. (Not sure if Damage Up is still the meta on Chargers with the reduced damage in Patch 2.2, but I see it a lot.)
Something similar can be said for a lot of abilities, like cold-blooded being technically useless when there are no echolocators, tenacity only helping when your teammates die, all the on-death abilities...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom