Is online playable in OffTV?

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
So single player mode has been confirmed to be playable in OffTV mode. For 2 players one will use the Gamepad and the other the pro Controller and the TV. But for online multiplayer, will we be able to just play in the Gamepad without using the TV? I haven´t found any confirmation on this anywhere, though everything points to it not being possible...Can anyone confirm one way or another?

I couldn´t find a better section to ask this in, please move if necessary.

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
Gamexplain recently confirmed that you can't use the Pro Controller, so it's looking highly unlikely unless they patch it in later.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
No, you need to use the gamepad and have the TV there.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There is no Off-Tv Play support in Splatoon at all. According to a reviewer who posts in the Splatoon thread on NeoGAF, at least.

SpecialtySake

Pro Squid
So single player mode has been confirmed to be playable in OffTV mode. For 2 players one will use the Gamepad and the other the pro Controller and the TV. But for online multiplayer, will we be able to just play in the Gamepad without using the TV? I haven´t found any confirmation on this anywhere, though everything points to it not being possible...Can anyone confirm one way or another?

What we need is a multiple gamepad option for one tv!

N7Kopper

Inkling
NNID
N7Kopper

Online needs both screens, so Off-TV is right out. And you can also use a Classic Controller for local 1 v 1.

What we need is a two gamepad option for one system!

Sarger

Full Squid
NNID
SargerSplatoon
Or, you know, sit in the other room with your laptop and skype yourself on the other end, with a camera facing the TV!

...and have to deal with 10x the input delay that a off-tv mode would give.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
OffTV is a huge thing for me, I share the TV with my gf so in the end the games I end up playing a lot are those that give me the option to switch gameplay to the pad. I know the gamepad is required for some things but they could´ve been easily implemented for OffTV too (use the DPAD for the superjumps, insert the map in a corner). Not having OffTV means I won´t be playing Splatoon as much as I would´ve wanted :(

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish

I still find it extremely ironic how Nintendo put the Splatoon gameplay at the end of the commercial on the gamepad. Its almost like they are hinting at it, i hope they decide to make it a feature later on.

MINUS

The Once and Future King
NNID
TRUEB7UE
More than likely off-screen will get patched in later, kind of like the Course map on Mario Kart 8. Hang in there!

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The Off-TV feature isn't in the game and it's highly unlikely it ever will be.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
I´ve finally given up and bought a HDMI splitter and a video capturer, so I can keep the WiiU connected at all times to my laptop and TV. This way I will be able to switch to the laptop when the TV´s not free. I hope the video capturer and the laptop can keep up so the game can be played smoothly. Has any of you tried something like this?

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
It never occurred to me that would work, considering you need the TV/Sensor Bar to point at still.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Maybe I didn´t understand something but AFAIK you don´t need the IR sensor bar for anything as gyro controls use the gamepad´s accelerometers. The IR sensor bar is only required for the WiiMote (and even then, the gamepad has a built-in IR sensor)...and sadly WiiMotes are not compatible with this game.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Are People even using Off TV play in other games? lol
I don't get the "lol". Off-Tv Play is a neat feature and one of the best things about the Wii U. I don't have a TV so when I don't want to playing my Wii U games on the living room, I bring the system and play Off-Tv Play in my bedroom. It's awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom