• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Is Save Scumming for Rerolls Scummy?

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
I've been wondering the above question for awhile now, and I can't decide if I should actually save scum for rerolls. I've been having such a hard time getting perfect abilities even on gear pieces that are easier to get triple sub abilities on (I've been struggling with the Cream Hi-Tops for awhile now). And I'm aware that you basically need to save scum to get quadruples of some gear pieces (the Legendary Cap is a common example), but I've never save scummed to this day because I'm worried that it's frowned upon. I don't know if it is, but I've always frowned upon it (though I know that save Scumming for rank IS worse and IS scummy).

That's why I'm asking for a community consensus on whether or not save scumming for rerolls is bad. So, what do y'all think?

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
No, I wouldn't say save scumming for rerolls is bad. I mean let's be real, having all subs on gear or main and subs as the same ability won't really make you any better at the game. Sure, having loads of Run Speed or Swim Speed, or Defense will help but, if you don't know how to really utilize the perks, play your weapon, play the map, etc., then your perfect and pure gear is pretty much pointless.

People save scum for abilities because it could take MANY, MANY, MANY rerolls just to get something usable and most people don't want to spend a large chunk of their hard-earned Snails on ONE piece of gear. That's how I see it but I don't consider it bad at all. =/

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
No, I wouldn't say save scumming for rerolls is bad. I mean let's be real, having all subs on gear or main and subs as the same ability won't really make you any better at the game. Sure, having loads of Run Speed or Swim Speed, or Defense will help but, if you don't know how to really utilize the perks, play your weapon, play the map, etc., then your perfect and pure gear is pretty much pointless.
That's exactly what I've been thinking to myself. I've come to the realization that just because good gear will allow you to do more doesn't mean you'll actually be able to do it. I don't know when save scumming first became a thing, but I first learned about it in around either November or December. I saw a post talking about how to save scum and saw people say it was broken or stupid or something, so that's why I've always seen it as a bad thing. However, like we've both said, if you don't have skill (and I don't really have that much), it won't really mean much.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
No. There's nothing bad about savescumming. Of course, people will attempt to make you feel bad for it but it's really just best to ignore them. In all honesty... Most people who are so against savescumming are people who believe there is only one "twue" way to play a video game. But there's not. ^.^ Savescumming, by definition, is manipulating a flaw in the game but that's not always a bad thing. Let's face it... The RNG system was a bad idea. Everyone thinks its bad. You're not really cheating the game anymore than someone is "cheating" the game by resetting after a boss loss to prevent losing money/items in the game.

Creator438

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Creator438
No. There's nothing bad about savescumming. Of course, people will attempt to make you feel bad for it but it's really just best to ignore them. In all honesty... Most people who are so against savescumming are people who believe there is only one "twue" way to play a video game. But there's not. ^.^ Savescumming, by definition, is manipulating a flaw in the game but that's not always a bad thing. Let's face it... The RNG system was a bad idea. Everyone thinks its bad. You're not really cheating the game anymore than someone is "cheating" the game by resetting after a boss loss to prevent losing money/items in the game.
That's a really good point that I never thought of until you brought it up. With that logic in mind it's kind of like resetting in Pikmin (which I do all the time). I've never frowned upon it and have done it all the time to prevent from getting severely screwed over. I never noticed how similar it is to save scumming.

D3ku

Inkling
NNID
Lucias64
I would never frown upon someone who scums for rolls (rank is a different story). I have done it multiple times, and I am not ashamed of it. Sometimes I dont have much time to play, but I know what abilities I want on my gear. It saves so much time AND money despite being such a tedious process. You are right about gear only helping so much, but for me ( and most likely others), the right gear can be the difference between A/A+. It has even been the difference between me being A+ and getting to S once before as well. High level play is constantly changing, and it is getting to the point where having some random abilities is a big no no. I never try to get perfect tripple subs. I just roll until I get a loadout I like and make some tweeks if necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom