Is sendouQ comp beginner friendly?

Alphine_Agnitio

Trans Bird Trans Bird 🏳‍⚧️
Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
For most players I would say yes, its a pretty good representation of organized play in a "hop in, hop out" low commitment environment .

If you end up liking your experience a easy option to get experience is to be event subs if the prospect of joining and commiting to a team is too daunting, or ask around in scrim channels to join pickup scrims.

Alphine_Agnitio

Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
Depends what you consider "beginner". If you haven't gotten to S+ I'd start there first
Eh I'd say rank is pretty irrelavemt, its just a good gauge of how much time you've invested into the game already, but not much else. Sendouq is a good way to practice the mechanical skill you would need to know to get to a high rank or X rank evaluation more than anything else

I was stuck on S for months entierly because I was spending more time in scrims and sendouq and doing salmon run over grinding Series, even though when I eventually did my rank up games I managed to clutch it out the first time

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Eh I'd say rank is pretty irrelavemt, its just a good gauge of how much time you've invested into the game already, but not much else. Sendouq is a good way to practice the mechanical skill you would need to know to get to a high rank or X rank evaluation more than anything else

I was stuck on S for months entierly because I was spending more time in scrims and sendouq and doing salmon run over grinding Series, even though when I eventually did my rank up games I managed to clutch it out the first time
Rank is definitely a relevant measure of skill, at least up until S+. If you haven't played much series that's different, but either way a B rank player is going to struggle a lot in sendouq.

Also, from personal experience, grinding series isn't what gets you to the next rank. Every time I have ranked up, it was because I stopped grinding, stepped back, and took a thoughtful look at my gameplay and what I could improve, and then worked on that instead.

SquinjaSpl

Inkling
I was thinking of trying out comp but I think sendouq might be a better way to try out comp, Idk where to start in it though
by the way is there an age limit for sendouq? It might be fun for my brother and I to play it as we both have a basic idea of how to work together to win pushes and all that (He's a little under 13)

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
by the way is there an age limit for sendouq? It might be fun for my brother and I to play it as we both have a basic idea of how to work together to win pushes and all that (He's a little under 13)
I don't believe so but know that depending on the people you team with there is often cursing
You could also choose to not vc but that's gonna make it harder to find teammates.

SquinjaSpl

Inkling
I don't believe so but know that depending on the people you team with there is often cursing
You could also choose to not vc but that's gonna make it harder to find teammates.
yeah i know theres an option to not vc, I took a look at it and it seemed like theres a decent chunk of people who don't vc.

Alphine_Agnitio

Switch Friend Code
SW-5178-8280-0912
Rank is definitely a relevant measure of skill, at least up until S+. If you haven't played much series that's different, but either way a B rank player is going to struggle a lot in sendouq.

Also, from personal experience, grinding series isn't what gets you to the next rank. Every time I have ranked up, it was because I stopped grinding, stepped back, and took a thoughtful look at my gameplay and what I could improve, and then worked on that instead.
Personally I still disagree, I find taking a more proactive approach from game to game reviewing and being critical of yourself is what improves your skill the most, not tossing yourself at games until you hit your rank up games and keep repeating. i've seen people in low X not know how to play the objective just as much as people in high B/A-. If anything, your personal anecdote is a perfect example of what I mean: your rank is a culmination of your overall experience and time spent in the game but its not necessarily a good measure of evaluating if you have learned the skills needed to play in organized settings at a competent baseline.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Personally I still disagree, I find taking a more proactive approach from game to game reviewing and being critical of yourself is what improves your skill the most, not tossing yourself at games until you hit your rank up games and keep repeating. i've seen people in low X not know how to play the objective just as much as people in high B/A-. If anything, your personal anecdote is a perfect example of what I mean: your rank is a culmination of your overall experience and time spent in the game but its not necessarily a good measure of evaluating if you have learned the skills needed to play in organized settings at a competent baseline.
I definitely agree. Rank is a (mostly) good estimate of how good you are at soloq, not necessarily coordinated play.

Joy

Data Nerd
Premium
NNID
joythegreat
Please don’t be discouraged by SP, even if it’s low! SP is a measure of relative skill, so it only compares you against other people in SendouQ, all of which are in the top 1% of players (probably).

Please feel free to ask for any help in the Sendou.ink discord helpdesk, if it’s SP related I’ll be glad to answer with as much depth as you need :)

Power

Inkling Commander
SendouQ sounds like it’s worth a shot. If I was you I’d try it out, see if you can hang with any skill level there. If you meet a player that can help and give advice that makes the attempt worth it. If the skill level is too different than you can always go back to ranked Battles and practice there until you’re ready.

Shenorox

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-7218-2129-6216
the best way to play comp at any level is to play in scrims. sendouq is great for if you dont have a full group of 4 to play with, or if you're looking for a set last minute. if sendouq had a larger playerbase it'd be great for new players especially, but honestly its best to just play normal scrims

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom