Is the story of this game...controversial?

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
I still can't help but feel that the intent behind Splatoon 2's story was to generate drama and controversy among the fanbase. Like it's all some kind of conspiracy from Nintendo against the fans.

But let's be realistic here.

Nintendo knows better than to make it look like it was all OUR fault. Splatfests were a fun thing for everyone, and then it would suddenly look like a terrible thing now? Doesn't sound right at all. They would not shaft them just because of the otherwise secondary 1P mode either.

Seriously, there's no way Nintendo would go out of their way to "punish" the fans after how much fun we had with the Splatfests (which I myself barely participated in).

At what point in development was the story added this time? Before or after the last Splatfest? It doesn't take a lot of work to get more of those going, nor does it distract from the second game's development. It just couldn't be THAT late in 2's development, especially when a similar mode was already present in the first game.

But I'm still holding onto the theory that there's a new group in town that's "fresh" with everyone at this point, giving announcements. A Splatoon 2 Direct later should bring more into the fray.

Keep in mind that the Squid Sisters were first revealed in a Splatoon 1 Direct a mere few weeks before that released. (It's as if they were initially planned to be not that important)

Bottom line: It just doesn't make sense for it to go from "Thanks for the Splatfests, everyone!" to "Look what you fools did to Callie!" It just makes it look like a slap - no, a punch - in our faces. On a scale of 1 to 10, how aware are Nintendo of the controversy that the 1P mode trailer alone just instigated? They thank and congratulate us for participating in Splatfests, but now they treat us like morons for it?

Is it really all our fault things turned out the way they did? Or should I just lose the tinfoil hat?

Last edited:

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
Okay, so these single player modes are still just a "practice mode" for going online, aren't they? And the latter's still ultimately the main course of Splatoon.

HySquid

Full Squid
NNID
mob362
apparently the girl with no spirit is the "best squid girl"

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
It was a start of a war. Before Nintendo knew, the squid sisters held a personal hatred for each other. Even a dinner together resulted in bloodshed. Knives were thrown, fist locked in combat.

Callie had went on the deeper end, planning the most edgiest diabolic plot she could ever muster. Her role to fame could cost everything she was known for, and went on the lifespan without a doubt of conscious.

HALF SQUID, HALF MACHINE, SHE IS THE ULTIMATE KILLER!

Kimmorz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kimmorz
I honestly think Nintendo was planning on using the results for the last Splatfest from the get-go. Which I think is cool that the actions of the players in the first game have determined the outcome of the second game. From reading the Squid Sisters Stories, I wouldn't say Nintendo is punishing team Callie for losing, as some time passes before she goes missing and it's not like she showed jealously or such from her loss. I don't think her losing the Splatfest is a direct result of her disappearing, as far as the story goes, but that's why Nintendo chose that she'd be the one to disappear instead of Marie.

Colorfull

Inkling
I honestly think Nintendo was planning on using the results for the last Splatfest from the get-go. Which I think is cool that the actions of the players in the first game have determined the outcome of the second game. From reading the Squid Sisters Stories, I wouldn't say Nintendo is punishing team Callie for losing, as some time passes before she goes missing and it's not like she showed jealously or such from her loss. I don't think her losing the Splatfest is a direct result of her disappearing, as far as the story goes, but that's why Nintendo chose that she'd be the one to disappear instead of Marie.
They probably already had a story planned before the splatfest even started, but left in blanks for the team that lost. Like "One day [insert losing team here] went missing"

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Nah, Nintendo isn't 'punishing' anyone, they simply used the Splatfests as a way of gathering data of which character sells more, and using the event as a marketing ploy to make the players feel more involved in the story. (Which is actually true, since we decided the fate of which Squid Sister would go, even if we didn't know.) Callie will most likely be pinned as the villain and still get a lot of screentime and relevance to the game. Nintendo wanted every player of Splatoon to participate in a poll regarding which Squid Sister they liked more, and used the in-game mechanics to get every player to vote, without even knowing it. It's actually pretty brilliant.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
It does kind of feel like a troll move from Nintendo though.

It's trying to raise the question of, are the Octarians making her do their bidding, or is she actually THAT upset over losing the Splatfest? I sincerely hope for the former and doubt the latter. Especially when the stories already established that she was anything but the latter, so she can't possibly be like that at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
It's a pretty common trope in fiction to have a beloved character go evil, temporarily in most cases. Despite being as overused as it is, it never fails to rile up fans. So no, it's not trolling :P

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
But this is why it's so controversial:

It's trying to raise the question of, are the Octarians making her do their bidding, or is she actually THAT upset over losing the Splatfest? I sincerely hope for the former and doubt the latter. Especially when the stories already established that she was anything but the latter, so she can't possibly be like that at the drop of a hat.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
There wasn't a question, unless you meant the thread title, then no it is not and you're giving the writers too much credit.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
Are the Octarians making her do their bidding, or is she actually THAT upset over losing the Splatfest?

This one.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
Yeeeeah, everyone knows that by the end of the story, she'll be back for good anyway.

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
Seriousness aside, it is controversial in a sense for the fandom. It is like how Sonic Adventure 2 pulled a dark turn, and made it like Sonic dies when in the end, he saves himself with a fake chaos emerald. Otherwise, it is a good controversial to happen, as I am saying. So your question regardless is a good open debate whether or not this is a bit extreme; it is and I love it.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
I mean, DJ Octavio is a bad enough mofo to not have time to listen to anyone's "woes" as it is. Plus, Nintendo isn't Gainax.

Last edited:

ForteReborn

Inkling Commander
NNID
ForteReborn
Switch Friend Code
SW-5389-7346-0792
I mean, DJ Octavio is a bad enough mofo to not have time to listen to anyone's "woes" as it is. Plus, Nintendo isn't Gainax.
It isn't really their first time doing plots like this, though. Sure, it's pretty dark to twist it around, but it really isn't the first time. Just Nintendo went liner for a while before reclaiming that gold they had years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom