It would be awesome if in splatoon 4...

Squidilicious

Full Squid
... they reworked how kits work. What if, instead of the devs picking 2 or at most 3 kits for each weapon, we had the ability to choose our own subs and specials for a weapon out of maybe 5 choices for each? Maybe you slowly unlock the 5 options by starring a weapon or something.

The devs can still make sure there is nothing too broken by picking the 5 choices you would have.

And then the display at the top of a match would show not just the main weapon of each opponent but also the sub & special they have. This would allow for many more playstyles with the same main weapon and add lots of depth to the game

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
That sounds cool but it's hard to know how they will be able to balance subs and specials to encourage more kit customization instead of picking the best two options.

Having to keep track of what specific sub and special each weapon on the enemy team has would be a problem too but I did have one idea to make that easier to deal with.
Give every sub and special their own small icon with a specific color that will be right next to each weapon icon on top of the screen.
Something similar to how palettes look that will be easily recognizable when the match starts.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
IMO they just need to make more kits. I genuinely don’t see how it can be that difficult, especially with how many they’re shamelessly re-using from previous games. A weapon reskin can’t be any harder to make than a new piece of gear.
I feel like it’s not unreasonable to hope for a third-kit content extension when the next console releases, since Splatoon 4 is definitely going to be a ways off.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Something needs to change. I don't even care what they do specifically, but I don't want this same kit system as-is.

Mp3

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Female
We can make our own kits for 30000 gold an asset
Main
Sub
Special
But we buy each main sub and special one time and can use on whatever
And can add stickers or change colors on weapons

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Grinding for gear, sure. I'd rather not, but considering that it only makes a slight difference anyway, it's fine. Grinding for weapons, though? Weapon choice is the biggest decision you make before entering the match. That shouldn't be locked behind grinding.

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
We can make our own kits for 30000 gold an asset
Main
Sub
Special
But we buy each main sub and special one time and can use on whatever
And can add stickers or change colors on weapons
I don't think we should have to grind for a kit but I do like the idea of giving more customization options for your weapon like stickers.
Changing colors sounds cool too but they barely change anything for 2nd kits so I don't think that'll ever happen.

McSquid82

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
I actually like the kits system. It might sound strange by now, but I can't imagine a .96 gal without Sprinkler and Splash Wall as its primary and secondary subs respectively. Also, if some of these specials return, I'd like to see a mix of new and legacy kits. Full customization just sounds like too much of a risk of certain main weapons not getting picked at all especially if they're perceived as low tier by the competitive community.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I actually like the kits system. It might sound strange by now, but I can't imagine a .96 gal without Sprinkler and Splash Wall as its primary and secondary subs respectively. Also, if some of these specials return, I'd like to see a mix of new and legacy kits. Full customization just sounds like too much of a risk of certain main weapons not getting picked at all especially if they're perceived as low tier by the competitive community.
Well, the reason most weapons currently don’t get picked at all is because of lacklustre kit design. Look at Dapple Dualies and Nautilus compared to Splattershot. I’d argue it’s worth sacrificing sub and special weapon diversity if it means bolstering main weapon diversity. Plus, it would probably incentivize Nintendo to actually fix sub and special weapon balance.

However, I’m also in favour of not giving options like Bloblobber access to Burst Bomb and Triple Inkstrike. I think more kits is the best route to take for now.

lesbianseagull

Inkling
If the devs aren't up to the task of field testing a multitude of kits for each weapon then, at the very least, they should give players access to legacy kits from previous games provided a.) they weren't overpowered and b.) the sub & special are still in Splatoon 4.

And for the sake of balancing, I also think certain weapons shouldn't have as many kit combination options as others. An E-liter or Snipewriter probably shouldn't have the same options as an Aerospray or Sploosh-o-matic. But this may cause an outcry from the community that the devs probably wouldn't want to deal with.

EDIT: I also think kit customization options could lead to a real problem of certain sub & special weapons becoming vastly overplayed while others become underplayed. It may not necessarily be an issue of imbalance either like how Stealth Jump is used by almost everyone. So this overplaying of certain sub & special weapons may not be resolved by rebalancing them.

Last edited:

McSquid82

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/him
NNID
Ewel
Switch Friend Code
SW-7398-4915-8969
Well, the reason most weapons currently don’t get picked at all is because of lacklustre kit design. Look at Dapple Dualies and Nautilus compared to Splattershot. I’d argue it’s worth sacrificing sub and special weapon diversity if it means bolstering main weapon diversity. Plus, it would probably incentivize Nintendo to actually fix sub and special weapon balance.

However, I’m also in favour of not giving options like Bloblobber access to Burst Bomb and Triple Inkstrike. I think more kits is the best route to take for now.
I agree with you on this for the newer weapons. But what I'm talking about specifically are the .96 Gal kits. Their specials might have changed but of all the weapons that have been around since the first game, their subs have always been the Sprinkler for the Vanilla and the Splash Wall for the Deco variant. I think they might be the only main weapon that's been around at least three games with that distinction. Seeing as how the main weapon doesn't need any sort of bomb, both subs work for their respective variants. On top of that, I would like to see them stick with tradition and consistency for the .96 if for the simple basis of you know what you're getting with them.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I think you could argue that more weapons are low tier because of their kit than because of the weapon. The fact that sub/special balance is so bad means that weapons that weren't blessed with top tier specials get left behind. That's just not good, and I think changing the system is the simplest and most viable solution.

vitellary

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
they/them
this is maybe a strange take but something i've been thinking about lately: i'm like 90% convinced the biggest reason nintento doesn't make more kits per update is because of sheldon's dialogue. they have to write several paragraphs for every single kit, and get that translated into every single language the game supports?? it has to be the biggest bottleneck by far; nothing else about a weapon takes anywhere near as many people to implement. a kit idea, model recolor, and icon recolor, could take one single guy like, an hour to do. they could definitely put out way more kits if they didn't have to write essays for every single one

so, as much as this may hurt to say, i think the next game needs to seriously consider whether sheldon's whole speeches are really worth having. sure, he obviously needs to explain how the main weapons work at all, so we can't cut him entirely, but what if we just made it so that additional kits are purchased in a different way? maybe they could be unlocked specifically after you purchase the first one, and it just replaces its slot, and it doesn't get any unique dialogue in its place. i feel like it's rare that sheldon's alternate kit dialogue doesn't just boil down to "yep this is the same weapon but with a new coat of paint! you can play it slightly differently now", i honestly don't think we'd be losing out on much

clearly something needs to give, i think. the kits problem really would not be a problem if we just got way more options way quicker, and i'm confident there's something nintendo can change to make it easier for them to do it

Mp3

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
Female
Grinding for gear, sure. I'd rather not, but considering that it only makes a slight difference anyway, it's fine. Grinding for weapons, though? Weapon choice is the biggest decision you make before entering the match. That shouldn't be locked behind grinding.
You would start out with like two or three of each weapon class to use

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
this is maybe a strange take but something i've been thinking about lately: i'm like 90% convinced the biggest reason nintento doesn't make more kits per update is because of sheldon's dialogue. they have to write several paragraphs for every single kit, and get that translated into every single language the game supports?? it has to be the biggest bottleneck by far; nothing else about a weapon takes anywhere near as many people to implement. a kit idea, model recolor, and icon recolor, could take one single guy like, an hour to do. they could definitely put out way more kits if they didn't have to write essays for every single one

so, as much as this may hurt to say, i think the next game needs to seriously consider whether sheldon's whole speeches are really worth having. sure, he obviously needs to explain how the main weapons work at all, so we can't cut him entirely, but what if we just made it so that additional kits are purchased in a different way? maybe they could be unlocked specifically after you purchase the first one, and it just replaces its slot, and it doesn't get any unique dialogue in its place. i feel like it's rare that sheldon's alternate kit dialogue doesn't just boil down to "yep this is the same weapon but with a new coat of paint! you can play it slightly differently now", i honestly don't think we'd be losing out on much

clearly something needs to give, i think. the kits problem really would not be a problem if we just got way more options way quicker, and i'm confident there's something nintendo can change to make it easier for them to do it
I feel like it would be easy to shave down Sheldon’s descriptions for the next game, what with how much of them are generally fluff.
Seriously, the Bamboozler’s description spends so much time explaining the legacy of the weapon that they forget to mention that it charges faster than any other charger and doesn’t one-shot. It’s a bit ridiculous.
It should be easy to give every main weapon a four- or five-point description, and every alternate kit a three- or four-point one.

“The Goo Tuber is a unique charger with a focus on charge hold and partially charged shots.”
“For example, you can store a partial charge, and store charges much longer than any other charger.”
“It does lose out on charge time, but it can even splat with a partial charge, giving unparalleled flexibility.”
“Complementing this weapon are the Torpedo and Tenta Missiles, giving your opponents nowhere to hide!”
“If you want your charger to be able to play a bit closer to the front lines, this may be the weapon for you.”

“The Custom Goo Tuber has all of the same features of the original, plus a cool sticker!”
“This set contains a Fizzy Bomb to ink a path forward, giving you a path move up with a stored charge.”
“And if enemies start to get a bit too close for comfort, the Ultra Stamp is sure to return them the favour.”
“If you want to play your Goo Tuber as aggressively as possible, this is the set for you!”

Okay… Maybe it’s not that easy. There’s definitely room for improvement, though.

Last edited:

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Simply grinding for the sake of grinding isn't an accomplishment. Achieving things through skill is an accomplishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom