Japanese Tournaments

BestTeaMaker

Pro Squid
NNID
BestTeaMaker
So, question. If you had the chance to enter a Japanese online tournament, would you?

I ask this because I was looking at the rules of one of their upcoming events, SyCup 2. Previous Japanese tournaments seem to draw a LOT of teams, the last one, the Mix Cup, having 176 people.

https://twitter.com/SyCUP

DeltaFixer

Full Squid
NNID
RCDelta
I would assume the language barrier would make it tough to communicate to your opponent's leader. Otherwise it sounds like it could be fun.

tazz

Inkster Jr.
are there streams and videos of these tournaments? it would be interesting to see how the game is played in such big tournaments over in japan.

Gi.

Senior Squid
NNID
OldboyNin
If they stream I'd love to watch that.

Dandy

Inkling
are there streams and videos of these tournaments? it would be interesting to see how the game is played in such big tournaments over in japan.
If you look at the bottom tabs of this spreadsheet, I've been keeping tabs of various tournaments when I have a chance. 3rd iOS tournament just finished, so I'll probably look into that more within the week. There's still a few more tournaments I haven't been able to look into as much, like Mix Cup and YKR.

Some people do stream on twitch/niconico. The winners of 3rd iOS had a niconico streamer, so I'm hoping they upload videos to niconico/youtube. I'd check out the Krak-on Splat Roller from the winners of 2nd iOS since they usually squad with their clan members ― and they even win a majority of their 3v4 games!

So rules for iOS are TOs roulette what each game mode is for each round/game between SZ, TC, and yes, turf wars. Map is set to random, so you can't sub in a player knowing it'll be a certain map. SyCup is all splat zones and I think they do the random map thing, too. iOS is single elim bo3 until grand finals where it's a bo5. SyCup is bo3 pools, where top 2 advance. Then it's bo3 single elim until a bo5 grand finals.

Single elimination is sadface, but the 3rd iOS tournament had 290 teams for a 1 day tournament. :B

jamesrcade

Senior Squid
I would love to but I imagine time zones and communication issues would stop it being feasible.

If possible, it would be cool to get an exhibition match going with their best team (or whoever has been winning most) and say SS-S. At the moment it's still a bit of a mystery how teams between Japan and from US/Europe would compare and it would be interesting to watch.

I'm sure we've all faced Japanese clans in ranked squads, but I imagine it would be slightly different in a best of 5 scenario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom