• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Jet Squelcher newb needs advice.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
I'm a Squid returning from a six month absence. I decided to brave ranked sporting the .96 Deco in an attempt to fill an offensive 'Inkling Killer' role on the teams I was put with. I've been very up and down with my rank, yoyoing between B and B+ and I'd like to say all the losses were down to being paired with crappy teammates but I'll be honest and say I feel like the losses were down to me getting too aggressive, overextending, getting outplayed and getting splatted as a result. That is why I wanted to try a different avenue and begin to learn the support role.

One thing I love about the .96 Deco is the Splash Wall. I had a look at what weapons also have it as a sub and came across the Jet Squelcher. I'm in love with this weapon. The one word I'd use to describe the Jet Squelcher is "pressure". I find Splash Walls great for blocking the opponent and defending myself but I think the most awesome thing I do with that subweapon is throw them out in front of my teammates and defend them from getting splatted (this is really cool in Rainmaker). The Inkstrike special is wonderful for pushing, causing a retreat on the opponent's end or contesting Splatzones. This coupled with the Jet Squelcher's amazing range (also letting you counter Chargers somewhat) lets you really pressure the opponent. I love the ethos of the support role, where you're not getting splats but you're facilitating them for your teammates and you're helping with the objective, and the Jet Squelcher is definitely that for me. The funny thing is I'm getting more splats with my Jet Squelcher than I ever did with my .96 Deco!

Long story short I think I've found my calling as an Inkling. I would like to get some tips from some more experienced Jet Squelchers to help take my game up to the next level as I slowly barrel towards A rank.

What sort of loadout should I be going for on my Inkling? Would something like Defense-Up, Inksaver (Sub) and Swim Speed Up be something to look for?

Also, any tips in terms of positioning for Jet Squelchers on certain maps? Or just any general tips you may think of that could possibly help, that would be really great.

Thanks so much in advance!

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
I've only used the Custom version because I don't know how to use walls effectively. For the Custom one I just run: Damage up main, special charge up main and defence up/ swim speed up. The squelcher is great on TC so i tend to use it when that's in rotation. And sniper perches are your best friend

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I usually use :ability_inkrecovery: and :ability_inksavermain: to keep pressuring opponents and efficiently use walls, and maybe:ability_runspeed: , :ability_swimspeed:, and:ability_inkresistance: to keep out of range of approaching foes. :ability_specialcharge: and :ability_tenacity: are also usefull if you are in Splat Zones or Turf War, while :ability_defenseup: might be good to help against chargers and shooters(I never really used defence up).

For the weapon itself, I think you got the right idea. Apply pressure and score a few splats on approaching foes, use Ink Walls to protect you and your team, use Inkstrike to clear the area, and abuse your range. Map wise, it is best on maps with wide chokepoints like Walleye Warehouse, Arowana Mall, Moray Towers, Saltspray Rig, and Camp Triggerfish, while it struggles in maps with lots of obstacles and space to be flanked, like Museum D'alphonzo and Hammerhead Bridge.

As with positioning, try to find a high area that looks over a significant part of the map (similar to Chargers). If possible, find one large enough to throw ink walls. Also, just a random tip, but if you have and Inkstrike ready, go into a corner and throw a wall at it. It should bounce back and give you a place in the corner where the wall totally protects you, and it leaves you much safer from enemy fire. You can also do this without an Inkstrike to try to fight an approaching foe.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
Thanks for the help. How viable is Stealth Jump for a Jet Squelcher user?

I played a bit of Splat Zones on Walleye Warehouse today and I found it very useful to hold right mid with the Jet Squelcher. Its range means I don't have to extend very far at all in order to get tons of splats. It also allows me to be the one to secure the turf on the enemy's side of the U-tower while the rest of the team is busy securing our side of the Zone and pushing forward.

Last edited:

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
I would highly recommend using the Custom Jet Squelcher over the normal one. Simply because the Custom one gives you more options with how you can play. I started using the Jet Squelcher when I was level 10, but ended up switching to the custom variant after having much more success with it. With the original Jet Squelcher, I always had a problem whenever enemies got too close to me and more often than not the splash walls and inkstrike never assisted me in close quarter situations. I find that the burst bomb and kraken are more effective as a defense, similar to how E liters use their burst bombs. Also, the Custom Jet Squelcher (I believe) has a better shot at handling chargers and other Jet Squelcher users.

Here's a quick Custom JS gameplay video, just so you can get an idea of a useful playstyle for both TW and Ranked Battles.

For gear (with both versions) I would recommend having some :ability_inksavermain: or :ability_inkrecovery:
Unless you can get use to managing your ink efficiency, I HIGHLY recommend using those abilities 'cause you'll be running out of ink a lot.
And I rarely super jump with this weapon, so Stealth Jump isn't really helpful. (for me)

{EDIT} Jet Squelchers are also a great way to get accuracy practice if you ever plan on switching to a charger!

NNID: DiamondCentral
Incase you ever want to practice using either of the the Jet Squelchers 1v1

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ink saver and/or ink recovery is a must. Upgrading and rerolling the Mawcasins or White Shirt is a good way to acquire both. I don't think damage up is worth it, as by default it's a four-hit splat and not swift about it in any scenario. Stealth jump depends on how aggressive you are, because if you're hanging back and pressuring with ink you don't need to be sneaky. Tenacity is always worth it, assuming you die less than your allies.

As for which Squelcher is better, depends on the mode. For splat zones the vanilla is clearly superior, and custom is best for tower control. Can't say anything about rainmaker since I always use different weapons for that :P

The squelchers are definitely fantastic weapons at all levels of play. Be sure to give the dual squelchers a look too.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
I would highly recommend using the Custom Jet Squelcher over the normal one. Simply because the Custom one gives you more options with how you can play. I started using the Jet Squelcher when I was level 10, but ended up switching to the custom variant after having much more success with it. With the original Jet Squelcher, I always had a problem whenever enemies got too close to me and more often than not the splash walls and inkstrike never assisted me in close quarter situations. I find that the burst bomb and kraken are more effective as a defense, similar to how E liters use their burst bombs. Also, the Custom Jet Squelcher (I believe) has a better shot at handling chargers and other Jet Squelcher users.
As for which Squelcher is better, depends on the mode. For splat zones the vanilla is clearly superior, and custom is best for tower control. Can't say anything about rainmaker since I always use different weapons for that :p
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely give the Custom a go as well. At the end of the day variety is the spice of life. I would like to become an expert on this weapon archetype. It gets boring using the same gun constantly so being able to switch between the vanilla Jet Squelcher and the Custom Jet Squelcher just gives me another thing in my toolbox.

p.s. I personally think the vanilla Jet Squelcher would be better for Rainmaker. Having Splash Walls to defend against the Rainmaker is really useful. I'll give both versions a try in Rainmaker and report back.

The squelchers are definitely fantastic weapons at all levels of play. Be sure to give the dual squelchers a look too.
I definitely will. My previous comment still stands :D.

NNID: DiamondCentral

Incase you ever want to practice using either of the the Jet Squelchers 1v1
I'll add you :).

electraheart

Senior Squid
NNID
howalive
You've probably figured this out already, but the jet squelcher's main weakness is the slow firing rate/weak damage from the ink. A lot of jet squelchers make the mistake of playing this weapon like a regular shooter, which it really isn't. Honestly, the positioning should be more like a charger. It has the same range as the Splatterscope. So, keep your distance and remember that it outranges every other shooter. That's the strength of it and that's what you need to play on.

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
You've probably figured this out already, but the jet squelcher's main weakness is the slow firing rate/weak damage from the ink. A lot of jet squelchers make the mistake of playing this weapon like a regular shooter, which it really isn't. Honestly, the positioning should be more like a charger. It has the same range as the Splatterscope. So, keep your distance and remember that it outranges every other shooter. That's the strength of it and that's what you need to play on.
You're right about its weak ink damage. You're able to outrange a lot of things but I've often found it where instead of splatting an opponent I've got a few hits on them and it has pushed them back and they've survived when I'm about to land the last hit on them. Now that issue might be an issue with my accuracy. I think I have to practice my aim more.

With positioning on most maps I have started using Charger spots, but then I position myself life a regular shooter when I feel it's safe. Where I position myself depends entirely on what's going on in the match at that particular moment. I have a problem in that I played Splat Zones on Urchin Underpass yesterday and I'm really confused where I should position myself on that map, particularly for Splat Zones.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That little railing (by little I mean as tall as an inkling) a bit to the left of the zone in Urchin is your friend in Zones. You can fire over it and cover about half the zone without fear of reprisal from chargers unless they waste time getting in a weird position. That whole ledge is usually where I attack from in Zones unless we're getting pushed back hard.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
People seem to forget that another great (and practically mandatory) ability for the custom jet is the damage up. Damage up not only makes the jet a consistent 4 shot (since the damage output can lower at longer range) but it can pottentially three shot if the opponent sustained some damage. Damage up also greatly benefits burst bombs. With enough damage up (i think a main and a sub) a direct burst bomb hit and a single jet shot can splat an opponent (provided he has no defense up) and a close indirect hit and two shots can splat. This is really helpful for dealing with someone at close range, but at longer range you're better off just shooting. Other useful abilities are of course ink recovery, ink saver main, swim speed and surprisingly enough abilities that boost specials like special charge up and tenacity. The jet is pretty bad at building up specials so those can really help, especially tenacity since you're not always on the front lines and swim speed to escape sticky situations and create more distance between you and your opponent. run speed i wouldn't recommend on the jet since your strafing is really slow and it barely increases it.
A great thing about the jet is that you can pick off chargers right on their perch, compared to other weapons that need to get really close. One tip i should give is to not comit to trying to kill them. They can sometimes charge faster than you can get the the four shots in. If you think all four shots will connect, than go all out, but if you notice a few missed than limit it to three shots, move to the side and continue to shoot. Also stages i would avoid with this weapon are moray towers and ancho-v games. I don't know if i just suck on these stages but i could never make it work here.
The gear i use are:
Soccer Headband: :ability_tenacity:|:ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain:
:clothes_tly007:: :ability_damage:|:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_shi004::ability_inkrecovery:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
It basically has everything i need and also looks good.
I've gotten 17-18 splats in some matches simply because they couldn't reach me. take full advantage of your range and wreak some havoc, also i'd recommend a negative sensitivity to keep your aim steady.

Last edited:

Cake or Death

Full Squid
NNID
McProle
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. There's a lot to take onboard but it's great that people aren't apathetic about the subject of the Jet Squelcher and are willing to help this squid improve his game.

electraheart

Senior Squid
NNID
howalive
You're right about its weak ink damage. You're able to outrange a lot of things but I've often found it where instead of splatting an opponent I've got a few hits on them and it has pushed them back and they've survived when I'm about to land the last hit on them. Now that issue might be an issue with my accuracy. I think I have to practice my aim more.

With positioning on most maps I have started using Charger spots, but then I position myself life a regular shooter when I feel it's safe. Where I position myself depends entirely on what's going on in the match at that particular moment. I have a problem in that I played Splat Zones on Urchin Underpass yesterday and I'm really confused where I should position myself on that map, particularly for Splat Zones.
try on the hill or on the smaller sides of the zone in urchin. youre going to want to play support. and hopefully you have a good offensive team with you. you could try for snipe, but usually that's targeted pretty well and also idk if the jet squelcher actually has a long enough range for that depending on enemy positions

gl

SonicFanRob

Inkling
NNID
SonicFanRob
Switch Friend Code
SW-1975-2839-4481
Obviously I'm late to this thread but I've used the Jet Squelcher a lot and for quite some time now too... What I used to run was

Fake Contacts ( :ability_specialcharge::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:)
Orange Cardigan ( :ability_specialcharge::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:)
Mawcasins ( :ability_inkrecovery::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:)

Which will be more ink main than you will ever need xD (recovery is nice though), that was mostly a joke set pretty much only good for getting Ink Strikes really quickly (particularly on Piranha Pit)... I'd recommend using some :ability_inksavermain:, :ability_inkrecovery: ( :ability_specialcharge: isn't really needed honestly), :ability_inksaversub: is nice to allow you a little more time after using a Splash Wall. With the update out now I'm experimenting with a main of :ability_runspeed: and eventually with a little rerolling three subs too along with :ability_swimspeed: which I am finding a lot to my liking honestly.
I suppose you could give :ability_defenseup: a shot... maybe a bulky Jet Squelcher works but I wouldn't know, :ability_damage: is nice in a sense because an Inkling will often times be carrying a little damage on them but keep in mind the Jet Squelcher's splat range will not go below 4 hits on someone who has taken no damage, capping at 99.9% damage after 3 hits but for me personally I haven't bothered that being said it also will not go above 4 hits as far as I'm aware UNLESS you are just out of range and not properly over the opposing person with the reticle. I also use the regular Jet Squelcher as I can't really use a Kraken for the life of me though it goes without saying that :ability_damage: for Burst Bombs is good and with the Burst Bombs taking 40% of your Ink I think running Recovery would be nice too if using the Custom Jet Squelcher though I have hardly used it so maybe I'm not the best person to talk about that exactly...

I don't feel the Jet needs any :ability_inksavermain: but it's nice to have, as it stands right now I know I have a main ability of it on my shirt with hopes of getting either triple :ability_runspeed: or :ability_swimspeed: on them. With the April update increasing the Jet's movement while firing by 50% :ability_runspeed: is a lot more advantageous I think. Also... :ability_runspeed: is an ability I never thought I'd run but now I am doing so :p

What I am likely to end up running is probably something like this:

:head_cap010: ( :ability_specialsaver::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:) OR :head_cap007: ( :ability_comeback::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver::ability_specialsaver:) Second one will probably be for Tower Control/Rainmaker as it can be a pretty consistent death spree :p

:clothes_shirt000: ( :ability_inksavermain::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:) OR :clothes_tes008: ( :ability_inksavermain::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:) Probably will depend largely on my headgear and shoes

:shoes_sdl000: ( :ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:) / Squid Girl Shoes ( :ability_swimspeed::ability_unknown::ability_unknown::ability_unknown:) / :shoes_cfs000: ( :ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:)

The Jet Squelcher is an interesting weapon, I feel there is a lot of things that can work for it and it's totally up to the player's discretion as to what to run. An ability like :ability_comeback: will also give you benefits as well such as :ability_specialcharge:, :ability_runspeed:, :ability_swimspeed:, :ability_inksavermain: and :ability_inksaversub: so if you're going to be splatted a lot because you're jumping in to the tower or something during a Tower Control match it's probably worth your while and if you're running a little of those abilities the effects feel even better sometimes I find :p Also with the Jet Squelcher & Custom being under the light ranked weapons for Special reduction upon death you can run a little :ability_specialsaver: and it can work really well with Comeback as it gives :ability_specialcharge: now.

:ability_lastditcheffort: is nice too but obviously it's a very situational ability... Though I think as far as Ranked goes it can work for any mode (also, Quick Respawn is always nice which it give when active).

I guess I've dragged on long enough but I couldn't help myself, the Jet Squelcher went from a weapon I tried and didn't really like to a weapon I ended up almost exclusively using (this was in the early game too so the updates hadn't even given it any buffs yet) I know my stuff probably didn't help too much as it's so wide-spread but I love the weapon to death and hey, I'm still open to listening and reading what others have to say too.

Good luck with finding something that works for you!

Last edited:

Genuine

Inkling
I suggest you use some useful abilities with the Jet Squelcher, such as "ink saver sub/ink saver main" because throwing Splash Walls can really help you get someone out of your tentacles for a little bit.
Try keeping your distance with this weapon, but not too far because the range is not like an E-Liter's. It's the shooter with the longest range, not a charger. Many people try using the Squelchers as "chargers", but it doesn't exactly work.
Just keep your distance, use your sub and keep your eye out for lurking Inklings.
Sorry if this made no sense, but I'm just trying to help.​

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
If you are going custom jet squelcher, then one damage main and one damage sub is really helpful. It allows you to splat someone with one burst bomb and one ink-bullet. So if someone is rapidly approaching and you can only get one or two hits in, chuck a burst bomb and finish the job just as they come into their effective range.

Damage also helps on the vanilla jet squelcher insofar as it makes a three shot splat for any inkling who is barely damaged. It also keeps your damage up at your extreme range. Both can be helpful if you are standing somewhere high and just shooting down for pressure (like moray, for instance). So I run one damage up main for the vanilla as well.

Like @Dessgeega said, the white shirt is really good for this gun as it gives you all the efficiency you need. I usually use my snorkel mask (which has 1 dmg sub) and red hi-tops for the CJS. I'm still tweaking my vanilla JS build as I don't use it as much as I used to, but I think it was the studio headphones, navy striped LS, and red hi-tops.

Just to reiterate what others have said: Positioning is really important for the squelchers. You almost always have to stay back. Don't think you can be sneaky and ambush people (at least not very often). You're job is to pressure people and zone people. Practice knowing your effective range and don't be afraid to retreat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom