Judging Your Performance

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
I've heard that your placement during the match results shows your individual performance and how well you've done, but I'm not really sure if that's really the case. I mean, they only show how much turf you painted. That doesn't necessarily reflect your overall skills, does it?

I just came from playing 3 Turf War matches with a lobby full of high-level Japanese players (lvl 45-50), and I'm still at lvl 14. Our team won those 3 matches, and after each of those matches I was placed 2nd in my team, even though I've been splatted way more times than I've done the splatting.

So how do you judge your own performance when you play?

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
I think we still have no clear idea about how we get placed in Turf lobbies, even to this day.

As for my personal performance, if I have positive K/D, and ink a lot of turf in Turf War, I consider it a total positive. Even if I went negative, if I covered a lot of turf, I consider it a win, since inking turf is the true goal of turf war. There's something so satisfying about winning a turf match against a team that focused so much more on kills than covering turf.

For ranked battles, I honestly don't care how much I kill or die, if we win, it means I probably helped play the objective first and foremost. Getting 15 kills and 5 deaths is fine and good, but if you still lose, it's not much of a consolation. And I've had plenty of those kind of matches in ranked. :oops:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Turf inked is definetlee impurtent in any gaym mowduh, 'spehshully 'n turf-wahr/splat-zohwns.
Butt 'n hiyer tier Tee-Dubuyuh, ye gottuh keep yer deths low tooo, and, lyk ess-zee, deefense is eekwally immpurtent.
If'n yer buds wer doin' defensuh, euw shur did ern yer keep I tell yeu h'wat.

It really depends on what role in the team you set out to do:

Did you do that role well?

DId you perform some other role by accident/necessity?

Did you keep tabs on the objective at all times?(gamepad awareness dog I still forget this often)

Also don't trust the ranking it gives you a the end of RANKED matches, crap is bonkers and will give the top spot to a griefer who didn't do bo-diddly all game.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Also don't trust the ranking it gives you a the end of RANKED matches, crap is bonkers and will give the top spot to a griefer who didn't do bo-diddly all game.
I think the way the ranking works on ranked is your win/loss rate of the last 10 matches, which is extremely dumb. You can have 3 people do great and then one guy who did nothing but won most of the previous games get top score. Only 10% of your ranking for the match is based on the match you're getting scored for.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
Turf inked is definetlee impurtent in any gaym mowduh, 'spehshully 'n turf-wahr/splat-zohwns.
Butt 'n hiyer tier Tee-Dubuyuh, ye gottuh keep yer deths low tooo, and, lyk ess-zee, deefense is eekwally immpurtent.
If'n yer buds wer doin' defensuh, euw shur did ern yer keep I tell yeu h'wat.

It really depends on what role in the team you set out to do:

Did you do that role well?

DId you perform some other role by accident/necessity?

Did you keep tabs on the objective at all times?(gamepad awareness dog I still forget this often)

XDDD

So if you were still 'fresh' into the game (sorry for that pun) would you say that learning how to use your weapons effectively, and what strategies to use in each stage, is more important than winning/losing Tee-Dubuyuh matches?

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
XDDD

So if you were still 'fresh' into the game (sorry for that pun) would you say that learning how to use your weapons effectively, and what strategies to use in each stage, is more important than winning/losing Tee-Dubuyuh matches?
Course not, winning is the best and easiest way to see if you're doing well, but when I am trying to tune up my squid tactics, I always try to dissect what I did that game. thought that only applies when you aren't up to snuff so...

Aw dangit yer right, if you just want to know if you did great, just check if you won xD

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Isn't it still based on who inked the most points in TW, or did it eventually adapt the same system as Ranked(Where you get ranked based on your winning streak).

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Isn't it still based on who inked the most points in TW, or did it eventually adapt the same system as Ranked(Where you get ranked based on your winning streak).
No, TW is still ordered as it always was. What I'd like to know is how it works if two players on the same team tie in turf inked - probably by K/D, with highest K being the second measure and lowest D, the third? And what if those are tied, too? Does it just resort to a random order eventually?

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
No, TW is still ordered as it always was. What I'd like to know is how it works if two players on the same team tie in turf inked - probably by K/D, with highest K being the second measure and lowest D, the third? And what if those are tied, too? Does it just resort to a random order eventually?
This match is complete tie (skip to 0:44 for results screen) where nobody inked, killed, or died, so it's probably just random after all that. And the player levels aren't ordered, so those can't affect anything. And when both teams tie Judd just randomly adds .1% to a team. The first .3% is from the spawn areas. I think if the entire map was completely covered by the ink colors and the teams tie, the score would show 50% and 50.1%, but there might be something preventing that from happening and bringing the 50 down to 49.9. And it would be very difficult to do that in just 3 minutes. If there was a map creator/editor for Splatoon, someone could probably make a map that's just 2 spawn areas to test this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom