• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Jumping up and down in combat, and to spread ink further.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Jumping up and down in combat, and to spread ink further.

I see a lot jumping in combat. Obviously the idea is to make oneself harder to hit; I'm not sure if it always has that effect, since it's a predictable pattern, which limits your movement a little, and slows you down with airtime. But it seems it can be quite effective at very close range - I've upped my gyro sensitivity to more effectively deal with it. But does anyone think this is something that's worth doing? I sort of can't bring myself to do it because it looks so silly, but maybe it has more potential than I've assumed it has.

Relatedly, does jumping while firing give you more range? Again, it's something I see people doing a lot, so I tested it at Sheldon's, and while it seemed add a little more range, it wasn't obviously enough to warrant the airtime. Thoughts?

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
It´s a nice way to extend your range when covering turf. I always use it to extend my lines with chargers when I´m just covering turf.

Jumping for combat is a must for short range weapons (aerosprays, Splattershot Jr...): hug the opponent and dance around him while hitting him. Don´t forget to dive into ink between jumps to make yourself even harder to hit. For slow, powerful weapons (Blaster, Roller...) you can use it to fight at mid range or to approach a stationary enemy (specially chargers). A good player will have no problem and see it as merely an annoyance, but a lot of people will miss their shots. So there´s really no reason not to do it. Anyway, you should always jump from squid form, shoot and turn back to squid to land, because jumping from kid form when engaging an enemy will make you an easy target due to reduced momentum (you won´t be able to move sideways as much).

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Thanks - useful info! I hadn't noted the difference between jumping from kid vs from squid form - the latter feels much less clunky.

Last edited:

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Is there anyway to counter people who jump alot?
As a person who jumps around a lot the easiest counter is to ambush me
The other option is a seeker, if the person is jumping the seeker is likely to hit him when he lands - this has happened to me multiple times and I'm no scrub.
Since the seeker does have limited homing and it's impossible to re-position mid jump - the seeker will end up going towards the zone you are landing. Other projectile bomb weapons are also a decent option if you are good at aiming them in the feet of the person jumping.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
As a person who jumps around a lot the easiest counter is to ambush me
The other option is a seeker, if the person is jumping the seeker is likely to hit him when he lands - this has happened to me multiple times and I'm no scrub.
Since the seeker does have limited homing and it's impossible to re-position mid jump - the seeker will end up going towards the zone you are landing. Other projectile bomb weapons are also a decent option if you are good at aiming them in the feet of the person jumping.
Thanks for the tips i need to try out the seeker more.

Ictoan

Full Squid
NNID
Krrrrg
Is jumping very effective against longer-ranged weapons like the .96 Gal and Splattershot Pro? It seems that the most effective way to use jumping is to mess up your opponent's aim at close range, but is there much of a benefit if you're fighting at a distance?

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Try to aim where they are going to land instead of hitting them in mid air, it´s much easier to get them that way. Also, don´t stand still, that makes you an easy target, move around so they have to adjust their aiming too.

Is jumping very effective against longer-ranged weapons like the .96 Gal and Splattershot Pro? It seems that the most effective way to use jumping is to mess up your opponent's aim at close range, but is there much of a benefit if you're fighting at a distance?
Think about it this way: you´re a much harder target if you´re jumping around than if your are standing still or advancing in a straight line, so as I said before there´s really no reason not to use it. If you can approach the enemy unseen it´s always preferable to swim as your shots won´t give away your position, but in any other situation it´s better to squid-jumpshoot-squid, even in medium-long range fights. As a charger I´ve been killed a lot of time by Aerospray users who just made their way to me by jumping and moving side to side, it´s really frustrating. If you and your enemy are both fighting from a distance it´s also better as, again, you´ll be harder to hit. However in this case it will be harder for you to aim too, so you´ll need practice.

Anyway, always prioritize stealth, it´s much easier and safer to kill someone who doesn´t know you are there. If stealth´s not an option then opt for jumping (or retreat).

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
Really depends who you're up against. Jumpers for close ranged weapons I can see perhaps being a harder targets for people not used to tracking and predicting movement pasterns. Jumpers are easier targets for me with what I use primarily (Blasters, chargers, dual squelcher, .96 gal, &.52 gal). I will always focus on the people who jump a lot just to prove how stupid the tactic is in general and it's funny because this game has dolphin diving technically with going into ink being way worse than prone alone, lulz. Years of FPSs has taught me that jumping makes you an easier target. In this game, the people who ambush and use their ink on the ground to hide and traverse well, will typically get me WAY more than jumpers.

Then again, there are always the japanese jumpers who seemingly don't die in the same amount of hits than their domestic countersquids yet die then 5-15 seconds later I magically explode after they've been long dead on my screen (I love lag, NOT!)

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
When it comes to Turf Wars the Ink Brush is incredible when getting up and just splat ink everywhere, it's very fast. I've also found that having a primary swim speed and sub swim speed jumping in and out - side to side with the Ink Brush catches a lot of players off guard and confuses them. I don't have much experience with this in Ranked as I've been only using the Roller.

Friendly Face-Off

Full Squid
NNID
taikolover-desu
When covering turf, yes it's a very helpful technique, just make sure you aren't around the enemies ;)

I personally recommend a shooter of course, not entirely sure about rollers and brushes like what has been said earlier though.

SHUTupNrocK8

Pro Squid
NNID
SHUTupNrocK8
When covering turf, yes it's a very helpful technique, just make sure you aren't around the enemies ;)

I personally recommend a shooter of course, not entirely sure about rollers and brushes like what has been said earlier though.
When using the roller I like to jump in and out my ink and just spread ink farther, and I'm harder to locate and hit. With the Ink Brush, it's pretty much the same thing, but spreading ink is less effective due to its range. The Ink Brush is useful in Ranked once you get used to it, but it's hard to carry teams with the Ink Brush alone, whereas, you can with the Roller. Jumping in and out of squid form allows you to travel faster with the Roller also.

Ber

Full Squid
NNID
Bernee
I have an easier time hitting jumping enemies with the squiffer since they can't suddenly change directions mid air, you just have to time your shot right
With automatic weapons that need several hits to splat I guess it is harder to follow jumping oponents but I rarely use those so I can't really tell

ThEvilHasLanded

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ThEvilHasLanded
Jumping is useful in combat but as others have said fairly easy to predict to counter it you need a bit of range so the opponent isnt moving as far in terms of your targeting

EarlyCuyler

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-5208-7719-6394
People do this with rollers all the time to completely decimate other inkies, its very annoying and does massive damage. Its a little cheap because of how it extends the range of the rollers "swing" - however i have been using it extensively with the carbon roller in tower control, and its OP

ThEvilHasLanded

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ThEvilHasLanded
People do this with rollers all the time to completely decimate other inkies, its very annoying and does massive damage. Its a little cheap because of how it extends the range of the rollers "swing" - however i have been using it extensively with the carbon roller in tower control, and its OP
Def agree that with the rollers when you jump swing you can out range or at least match some of the guns. I'm not sure what weaknesses the Carbon roller has because it's so damn quick evading someone using it is more luck than good judgement

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
For people who jump a lot, they are stuck going at the same speed, a little bit of prediction on where they will land will help and them not being able to use squid form in those instances... Will help you out a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom