Lack of region filter?

Manyula

Inkling
NNID
Manyula
This was something that surprised me when I first played the game. An online shooter which is primarily focused around online multiplayer which lacks a function to filter out regions from matchmaking. This made almost no sense to me. I understand that, being a target for children, the game would benefit from simple design and unnecessary information that younger audiences may not understand being cut from the game is fair enough. But this is something that should be standard in every shooter. If the matchmaking itself makes no attempt to put you in a lobby with people in your region or, at the very least it seems, a lobby where everyone shares a good connection, then a filter should be implemented. Being unable to check your connection quality with the host is also something that irked me, though it's not a dealbreaker for me.

It's getting pretty tiring getting a kill, swimming away, then dying two seconds later because the server only just caught up with the trade. Before anyone asks, it's not my connection. Every other game has a decent if not excellent connection quality.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
I think it's just how Nintendo online games are. Somehow they think Mario Kart deserves regional modes, but a fighter game and a online shooter game doesn't.

spiffy

Full Squid
NNID
pinkylilacs
i agree, this is the ONE thing about splatoon's multiplayer that worries me. (i haven't gotten the game yet but i've seen tons of online gameplay.)

however strangely enough while playing mario kart 8 online at a "regional" setting i'd randomly get paired up with people on the other side of the globe. i don't know if this was a bug or if certain countries would get routed to the wrong servers for whatever reason but perhaps nintendo wants to patch the game later once they figure out how to fix up this error?

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
I hope they add continental matchmaking in a future update. Disconnects are really annoying at this point. And they always seem to happen in rooms with >4 japanese players. Geez, at least don't penalize my ranked score when I obviously didn't turn off the console.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
From my experience it feels more like connection problems are based on the individual rather than region. I don't have too much trouble with most players from other regions.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
From my experience it feels more like connection problems are based on the individual rather than region. I don't have too much trouble with most players from other regions.
It's a mix of both, I believe. I think that the ink coverage is server based, and the fighting and splatting is client based. So when the ink doesn't appear, the server is having lag, but if you get killed two seconds after the person who killed you did, either you or they have a bad connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom