• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ledge Snapping and Grate Snapping

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
I thought that I would probably include this first in my splatling guide, but I've been practicing E-Liter, and school got in the way, so I am going to post it here first. This tech is not super applicable in many situations, but can help to get surprise splats for almost any weapon, and can help reduce time charging. While I am sure people grate snap all the time since it is easier, let me go through them both piece by piece.

Grate Snapping: Going up a wall in squid form through a grate, and then releasing ZL when your lower body would still be inside the grate, this pushes you up, and snaps you to standing position. This is quite common, since it is done so easily, so I am not sure to call it a tech, but it is important to realize how the mechanic works.
Example

Ledge Snapping: Now this is the real deal, I am starting to see Japanese players doing this, or maybe it's just the lag. Either way, everyone should learn how to do this, since it allows all weapons who charge, to charge immediately, and then allows all others to splat faster and sneakier than usual.

I think it is easiest to hold ZL, mash X, then as you get close to the top of the wall (practice this distance), hit ZR if you are able/wanting to shoot. Otherwise release ZL, and repress it quickly if you want to swim directly afterward. It is easiest to see what happens if you slow down the gif, but what fundamentally happens is that your foot hits the ledge top with the upward momentum, and then you can move immediately.
Example
Optimal Distance

I first noticed this during speedruns, and I think that it is important to know in certain areas, since you lose that float, and can shoot and swim ASAP, which is important for front range weapons, and splatlings. It is definitely not that influential, but it is just something I wanted to share, thanks for reading!

Edit: Added gif of optimal distance, so it's easier to understand exactly when to perform this. This is another benefit I failed to mention, you don't need the wall to be completely inked to the top, so you can get up even with a gap like this.

Last edited:

Dylan26

Full Squid
Content Team
NNID
Dylan26
good post :) happy that this info is on paper somewhere instead of just floating around in a lot of players' minds. this was definitely needed!

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
good post :) happy that this info is on paper somewhere instead of just floating around in a lot of players' minds. this was definitely needed!
I know that it is generally kind of known, but not that well acknowledged, so I thought I would post it. It is more well known in the speed running community, but not so much in the competitive scene. I started to prepare this before, but never finished, so I am glad to finally get it recorded.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
ledge snapping seems like a great tool, especially for charging weapons to not be so vulnerable after climbing a ledge (though we'll still need to be careful).

i already do the grate one which helps me get a charge out quickly while avoiding enemy fire.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
It's worth noting that the grate snap also works mid-air, not just on walls. There are some cool jumps on Bluefin you can do with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom