• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Less is Moray?

SqidVishus

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0563-5067-5130
Anyone else tired of Moray Towers being in the rotation so often? Sometimes it feels like it is every other slot. I know it was a fan favorite. But there are some good new stages and I am not sick to death of them yet. I scrolled through the app and saw Moray was in 4 times. Humpback was only in twice in over a 24 hour period. I know I may be in the absolute minority here, but is anyone else tired of the Towers?

Danku

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-6239-2879-4288
Anyone else tired of Moray Towers being in the rotation so often? Sometimes it feels like it is every other slot. I know it was a fan favorite. But there are some good new stages and I am not sick to death of them yet. I scrolled through the app and saw Moray was in 4 times. Humpback was only in twice in over a 24 hour period. I know I may be in the absolute minority here, but is anyone else tired of the Towers?
I'll take towers over HBPT ANY day. However, the feeling of seeing the same map in every other slot is because nintendo stupidly releasing the game with a tiny handful of maps. :v
I refuse to see the words "fan favorite" referring to Moray as anything but trolling
I remember hearing the developers actually saying they were bringing back maps that had the most to be improved on, not necessarily "fan favorites." Which explains why Port Mackerel and Moray Towers were the first two maps to get remastered, because they were universally hated by pretty much everybody.

CavvieKat

Inkster Jr.
Moray Towers was most definitely a fan favorite in Japan. That's exactly the reason it was in the rotation for the final Splatfest in the first game, I believe.

Personally, I couldn't stand it in the first game. It's not quite as bad in Splatoon 2, but I have to wonder if this is because I haven't encountered any E-Liters there as of yet..?

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Moray Towers was most definitely a fan favorite in Japan. That's exactly the reason it was in the rotation for the final Splatfest in the first game, I believe.

Personally, I couldn't stand it in the first game. It's not quite as bad in Splatoon 2, but I have to wonder if this is because I haven't encountered any E-Liters there as of yet..?
It's my understanding that Moray Towers isn't quite as good for snipers any more, due to a combination of stage changes and also the removal of damage up.

Is there anyone who actually likes HBPT?

REYES

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4119-9070-0340
I see the stage a lot too. I hated it in the first game but in this one it's alright. I wish it didn't show up as often when I play though. Not sure if it actually shows up a lot in rotation or if I just bump into it when I play.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It's my understanding that Moray Towers isn't quite as good for snipers any more, due to a combination of stage changes and also the removal of damage up.

I dont mind the pump track.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Honestly, I always kinda liked Moray... when it wasn't Turf War. I actually feel like it was more designed with ranked modes in mind, and I feel like it really highlights the risk/reward balance of Rainmaker. Splat Zones on it is still kind of meh, but then again I don't like Zones in general, so I'm probably not the best judge of that.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I've went from liking Moray to hating it so quickly just based on how often it's in rotation. I will 100% take it over Port Mackerel any day, though. That map is never fun.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I doubt it is actually in rotation more than other stages. I will say that it is the worst stage currently in S2. Although it is better than in S1, where it wasn't the worst stage.

As much as they improved Moray Towers though, they really screwed up Port Mackerel. That's the second time they made my favorite S1 stage worse, first time being the redesign of Urchin Underpass.

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
As much as they improved Moray Towers though, they really screwed up Port Mackerel.
I completely agree! I love the way they improved Moray, but Port Mackerel doesn't feel like Port Mackerel anymore :(. Still love it though!

I personally love Moray Towers, so I don't mind seeing it so much! It's a great map once you get the hang of it, I love it as a sploosh main, so any weapon really has its place. I, personally, love to sneak into the opponents base with the new inkline thing(not sure what it's called?). By the time you get there, nobody really notices you most of the time!

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
I like Humpback Pump Track. I also really liked Port Mackerel from the first game. However, I think we can all agree that Blufin Depot was garbage.

Edit: Somehow, I missed the two posts above mine, so I thought I'd edit my message to reflect them.

@MINKUKEL I totally agree about Port Mackerel. The whole point of that map was that there were no flanking positions, making it solely about how well you could push the other team. Really, that's my problem with most all the maps in this game; there are so many places to approach/be approached from that it becomes impossible to cover them, making too many kills/deaths come down to lucky/unlucky position more than anything.

Unfortunately, I never had Splatoon 1 before the Urchin Underpass redesign, (I got it in the Wii U BestBuy bundle right after...) but from playing the single player, yeah, I have no idea why they felt they needed to give it a redesign.

Last edited:

sammich

Inkling Cadet
I like Humpback Pump Track. I also really liked Port Mackerel from the first game. However, I think we can all agree that Blufin Depot was garbage.

Edit: Somehow, I missed the two posts above mine, so I thought I'd edit my message to reflect them.

@MINKUKEL I totally agree about Port Mackerel. The whole point of that map was that there were no flanking positions, making it solely about how well you could push the other team. Really, that's my problem with most all the maps in this game; there are so many places to approach/be approached from that it becomes impossible to cover them, making too many kills/deaths come down to lucky/unlucky position more than anything.
exactly... almost every stage is like kelp dome on steroids, and on squiffer i have to be constantly patrolling back and forth across the map which is tiring and undependable. it's particularly bad on pumptrack, mainstage, and that terrible gym level.

we seriously need more stages. very, very badly. i can't believe in two months we've had one single stage -- with such a large selection of older stages to choose from i thought we'd be getting one every two weeks for the first couple months.

Xander Cookie

Inkling
NNID
rockwolf24k
Switch Friend Code
SW-2368-4461-2517
Honestly, I always kinda liked Moray... when it wasn't Turf War. I actually feel like it was more designed with ranked modes in mind, and I feel like it really highlights the risk/reward balance of Rainmaker. Splat Zones on it is still kind of meh, but then again I don't like Zones in general, so I'm probably not the best judge of that.
At least they moved the zones to be closer together and to the centre.

Drew Sebastino

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Espozo
Switch Friend Code
SW-3924-6316-9401
it's particularly bad on pumptrack, mainstage, and that terrible gym level.
So it's particularly bad on half of the maps. :p I also absolutely loathe Mussleforge Fitness; there are so many corners and differences in elevation that it ends up being just one big deathtrap. This wouldn't be so bad if you had a chance to react to a surprise attack, but with how little health you have, it's basically a guaranteed death. And yeah, bringing back all the old maps would be an easy way for Nintendo to add more content to the game, although with how much they've been modifying them, I'm not so sure.

CavvieKat

Inkster Jr.
Good golly, I didn't realize there was this much dislike for Splatoon 2 maps. I personally don't think there are any that I hate... Maybe the new maps just compliment certain playstyles better, and mine happens to involve sneaking up on the opposing team and constantly being on the move, so I haven't had any reason to hate the maps so far..? It could also help explain the lack of snipers (y'know, aside from not having any attack-up anymore), if the maps just aren't very kind to them. Moray Towers is still the exception to that, but whaddya know, I don't like that one very much because it makes playing the way I like much more difficult than normal. Even still I don't see a lot of Chargers playing when Moray Towers is in the rotation.

Really makes me miss places like Saltspray Rig and Museum D'Alfonsino. Most of the first game's maps were kinda meh in the beginning, but over time we got some great variety. I hope the same can be said for Splatoon 2 someday.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral

Unfortunately, I never had Splatoon 1 before the Urchin Underpass redesign, (I got it in the Wii U BestBuy bundle right after...) but from playing the single player, yeah, I have no idea why they felt they needed to give it a redesign.
It is too bad that there are no kinda 'linear' stages left. Walleye Warehouse, Arowana Mall and S1 Port Mackerel all were a nice change because they were more long-shaped, and really only Port Mackerel sorta remains.

I do like the general direction the S2 stages have taken though. They're approachable from a lot of ways, but not too open, actually. When you really think about it, even the ones that look more open, aren't really that open, save for Starfish perhaps. Once you know the layouts of each stage (and keep your eye on the map), it's actually pretty easy to predict where danger might come from. I certainly don't get nearly as many unexpected deaths as in S1, although I'm sure the nerfed Specials contribute to that too.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander

To be honest, I like HBPT. I typically use the Jet, and I use it defensively. My goal is to hard-stop anyone making a push towards our base, and considering they have one pathway in on that stage, it makes my job super easy.

I hate The Reef with a burning passion for obvious reasons.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Ever since I dropped the E-Liter I don't like the stage either. And for some ungodly reason it seems to follow me in every rotation, and whenever it is in the rotation, I get it most of the time. Based on my experiments with it, I get Moray Towers 13/15 times on average whenever it is in the rotation. My only guess is that they more often assign you to the stage where your performance is inferior. Quite ironic considering it used to be among my absolute favorite stages in Splatoon 1 and I never got it as often as I wanted to back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom