• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Less is Moray?

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
I never really mind playing on Moray, but I have just a couple of concerns with the map:

First of all playing turf on Moray is a nightmare. It's literally the reason why turf should never go competitive. All it takes is one cheeky little flank, and before you know it, there's a level 19 aerospray main who painted all of your ramps to the spawn. And guess what, you lose because of it, even though you never died or the fact that you and your team covered mid.

Second, I hated playing this map as an E-Liter main. "Wot", I hear some of you saying, "You were basically the god of the level, you could smite mortals from across the map, how could you not enjoy that?" Well, Moray was really boring as an E-Liter when you have to face . . . another E-Liter. Entire matches were literally 1v1s about who could snipe who more consistently. Playing E-Liter was extremely stressful as you let down your team if your opponent gets the snipe on you. Also, the opponent E-Liter doesn't take risky angles if they respect you, they will peek from the safest corners, so most of the time both of you peeked from the same angles most of the time. And this is assuming you could deal with all the flankers who wanted you dead, as well as the random inkzooka shots automatically aimed on to you. But if you could deal with all of those factors, moray was a pretty fun map for an E-Liter

sammich

Inkling Cadet
I never really mind playing on Moray, but I have just a couple of concerns with the map:

First of all playing turf on Moray is a nightmare. It's literally the reason why turf should never go competitive. All it takes is one cheeky little flank, and before you know it, there's a level 19 aerospray main who painted all of your ramps to the spawn. And guess what, you lose because of it, even though you never died or the fact that you and your team covered mid.

Second, I hated playing this map as an E-Liter main. "Wot", I hear some of you saying, "You were basically the god of the level, you could smite mortals from across the map, how could you not enjoy that?" Well, Moray was really boring as an E-Liter when you have to face . . . another E-Liter. Entire matches were literally 1v1s about who could snipe who more consistently. Playing E-Liter was extremely stressful as you let down your team if your opponent gets the snipe on you. Also, the opponent E-Liter doesn't take risky angles if they respect you, they will peek from the safest corners, so most of the time both of you peeked from the same angles most of the time. And this is assuming you could deal with all the flankers who wanted you dead, as well as the random inkzooka shots automatically aimed on to you. But if you could deal with all of those factors, moray was a pretty fun map for an E-Liter
exactly, lol. moray was only fun back when people thought chargers sucked and we finally had a leg up on everyone. then after a week it just got boring. when scoped eliter became the default, it got even more dull.

now it's boring *AND* we suck on it.
tbh it's probably in general a "better" stage than before, but i don't think i will ever get over how unnecessary this stage is. well, i might IF THEY RELEASED MORE STAGES so we don't have to keep playing the same 3 or so there are now.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't get why people thought Moray Towers was good for chargers in the first place. They got literally one spot they always stand, and as long as you know where a charger is, it's way easy to not get sniped. If you see a charger in the opposite team you just keep an eye on that spot and that's that.
I hate The Reef with a burning passion for obvious reasons.
Which are? Because I think it's fine.

My only guess is that they more often assign you to the stage where your performance is inferior.
That's not possible because there's 7 others in the lobby as well. It always seems to me I get my least preferred map of the two more often, but a look at Splatnet 2 immediately proves that wrong.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I don't play if Moray's in the rotation. I could get into the reasons for the umpteenth time, but really, it just isn't fun for me. And if I'm not having fun on a video game, there's no point.

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
I don't get why people thought Moray Towers was good for chargers in the first place. They got literally one spot they always stand, and as long as you know where a charger is, it's way easy to not get sniped. If you see a charger in the opposite team you just keep an eye on that spot and that's that.

I'm a charger main and I've always hated Moray with a burning passion, regardless of weapon choice. But especially as a charger I feel like I'm subject to flanking more than on most other maps and people can play around me too easily. There's more to Moray which makes me really dislike it, but that's one of the core reasons. Also, if you think that being super campy for 90% of the match is fun for me, think again.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
That's not possible because there's 7 others in the lobby as well. It always seems to me I get my least preferred map of the two more often, but a look at Splatnet 2 immediately proves that wrong.
Seven others that may have also already been pre-assigned. Despite the catastrophtic matchmaking nothing suggests it is truly 100% random. In my case it also isn't based on feeling I'm assigned to one far more often than the other. I'm keeping track while also searching for new lobbies each time. Statistically speaking it's almost near impossible that there are equal odds of getting either of the two stages in the rotation.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
That's something that would only create more matchmaking issues for Nintendo while giving them absolutely nothing positive in return. So I highly doubt it, unless I see some concrete evidence.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
That's something that would only create more matchmaking issues for Nintendo while giving them absolutely nothing positive in return. So I highly doubt it, unless I see some concrete evidence.
It's pure speculation, that's why I said it would be my guess. But statistically speaking there would have to be some factor that favors one stage over the other. Be it win rate or anything else. It's just with a nearly 100% certainty not 50/50.

uhhhhhhhh

Inkster Jr.
I love this level, loved it in splat 1 as well

I mained the slosher and the splashomatic in splat 1 too. You just gotta be able to rock the Dynamics of those curves - I LOVED climbing up the little ramps and jumping behind people. SO much room to sneak around on this board!

Still getting my holdings of my new fav weapons in splat 2 but I'll say the level is even better now.

For the record I never ever use a sniper (well I do try every now and then and get destroyed haha)

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet

With E-Litres out of the picture for the moment, Moray towers actually is imo still really charger-friendly, because the inklines offer quick escape routes if you get flanked while playing more aggressively. I usually get 10+ kills with the splatterscope I'm turf war on that map, and my kills tend to vary in ranked.
It's pure speculation, that's why I said it would be my guess. But statistically speaking there would have to be some factor that favors one stage over the other. Be it win rate or anything else. It's just with a nearly 100% certainty not 50/50.
My guess would be that if a map has just been freshly introduced into the rotation (like it hasn't just rotated from turf into ranked) the chances of getting it are higher. That's what I find, anyway.

Reactions: Ulk

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
My guess would be that if a map has just been freshly introduced into the rotation (like it hasn't just rotated from turf into ranked) the chances of getting it are higher. That's what I find, anyway.
That's a very good theory. I've never considered that. I should really test that out.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
In the previous sentence I explain that defending your base in HBPT is pretty easy with the Jet; defending The Reef is far harder because every entrance is very wide and two of the three have ramps can't really be shot over that well. The third entrance on the left has a wall and sandbag for cover. Defending on that map is a disaster for me.

I wasn't implying that the stage had an overall design flaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom