Livestreaming Splatoon?

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
I was wondering: those of you who live stream Splatoon, how do you do this? I want to stream Splatoon, but I don't really have much spare cash to swing around, so the lower the price tag, the better.

Setu

I suggest researching capture cards and looking into which one you're looking for. Also most streamers use OBS(Open Broadcaster Software, look up for details). I got an elgato hd60 a couple months ago and have been streaming occasionally. However, I don't really know the best way to stream to fit with my equipment and I haven't quite started using OBS, but I'm probably going to switch sometime soon.
Here are the steps:
1. Get a capture card that fits the quality/price/convenience that suits you.
2. Get OBS
3. Figure out the best setup for how/where to stream and the equipment to use.
4. Add/Improve features on the stream with NightDev(music, chat, etc)

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
I suggest researching capture cards and looking into which one you're looking for. Also most streamers use OBS(Open Broadcaster Software, look up for details). I got an elgato hd60 a couple months ago and have been streaming occasionally. However, I don't really know the best way to stream to fit with my equipment and I haven't quite started using OBS, but I'm probably going to switch sometime soon.
Here are the steps:
1. Get a capture card that fits the quality/price/convenience that suits you.
2. Get OBS
3. Figure out the best setup for how/where to stream and the equipment to use.
4. Add/Improve features on the stream with NightDev(music, chat, etc)
For OBS, would I want to use Multiplatform OBS or just regular OBS?

Otherwise, I'll try it.

Also, looking up capture cards, would Capture CORDS also work? I'm thinking along these veins, since they seem much cheaper than Capture Cards all in all.

Setu

I would think either OBS would work, the only difference is this:

Also, if the capture device will hook up to the wiiu and everything, I don't see why not. I just suggest doing a bit of research about which one to buy.

BTW, there are probably better people you could approach with this, I just know the basics.

GuyPerfect

Inkling
NNID
GuyPerfect
I use one of these. The bundled software has support for live streaming to Twitch, Ustream, rtmp or, as I like to use, YouTube.

The device itself is very reliable and has great performance. It captures up to 1080p HDMI at 60fps, and works for one-off screenshots.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
I use an Elgato HD. It is capable of 720p 60 FPS or 1080p 30 FPS at max. The software it comes with can also fit all of your recording/streaming needs and is perfect if you are just starting out. If your PC can handle it, then the Elgato HD60 is probably a better option, since it can go up to 1080p 60 FPS, unlike the HD. However, make sure your PC meets the system requirements for the HD60. I have seen too many people get it, only to realize their PC can't handle it.

GuyPerfect

Inkling
NNID
GuyPerfect
For the record, Splatoon runs at 720p natively, so that's the size I run my captures and streams at. Even with the Elgato Game Capture HD, you can do full-size Splatoon at 60fps.

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
For the record, Splatoon runs at 720p natively, so that's the size I run my captures and streams at. Even with the Elgato Game Capture HD, you can do full-size Splatoon at 60fps.
Pretty sure the elgato HD cannot stream in 60 FPS. It can definitely record in 60 FPS though.

Grimlai

Senior Squid
NNID
SVC_Grimlai
OK, I now have the Diamond VC500, but I'm having trouble getting it to display anything in OBS. Any tips? The Audio comes in fine, but it will not stream the visuals.

I can see the visuals on the screen, but I can't make OBS see them and display them.

RespawningJesus

NNID
RespawningJesus
OK, I now have the Diamond VC500, but I'm having trouble getting it to display anything in OBS. Any tips? The Audio comes in fine, but it will not stream the visuals.

I can see the visuals on the screen, but I can't make OBS see them and display them.
You may have to go into the settings for your video source and adjust them so that they can work. For example, I initially tried to run my stream at 60 FPS, but my elgato HD is not capable of 60 FPS streams, but I thought I could cheat it if I set it in OBS. But I simply got no footage, so I had to cap the FPS at 30, since that was what it could handle. So make sure your settings aren't set to something that your capture card cannot handle.

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
Is there a place for us to all stream like a channel?
If you're using twitch, add your twitch username in your profile information on here, and whenever you stream Splatoon, your stream will be able to appear on the right side of the main page if you are in the top 5 Squidboards user streams by number of viewers.

If you're not using twitch, go to the Original Content board and make a thread with a link to your stream and explain a little bit about what you do.

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
If you're using twitch, add your twitch username in your profile information on here, and whenever you stream Splatoon, your stream will be able to appear on the right side of the main page if you are in the top 5 Squidboards user streams by number of viewers.

If you're not using twitch, go to the Original Content board and make a thread with a link to your stream and explain a little bit about what you do.

Good to know! Is there a choice of overlays for us to pick from or are we on our own?

On a seperate note, is original content the location to post game suggestions for discussion?

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
Is there a choice of overlays for us to pick from or are we on our own?
I would just make my own overlay or find a free template to tweak.
On a seperate note, is original content the location to post game suggestions for discussion?
Not sure what is meant by "game suggestions" but if by game you mean Splatoon (and not a different game or entirely new game), then that sounds like something that would go in the general discussion board (or multiplayer/competitive depending on the specific idea). I'd be careful and do a search first to make sure there isn't already a thread on something before posting it.

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
Not sure what is meant by "game suggestions" but if by game you mean Splatoon (and not a different game or entirely new game), then that sounds like something that would go in the general discussion board (or multiplayer/competitive depending on the specific idea). I'd be careful and do a search first to make sure there isn't already a thread on something before posting it.
I meant splatoon suggestions like new weapons, stages and the like.

Thank you, you've been a huge help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom