LMAO @ Online's quality

RAOUL

Inkling
NNID
Shaaack
:]
So am I the only one that feels that the online quality is garbage tier (like in every nintendo game, mostly ...) ?

We're matched with Japanese or poor connexion people so the game rewards both side during duels, so every freaking duel finishes with two "deads" (both players). That is so retarded like wtf they want the game to be competitive etc with ranked system and they put that online system that rewards everyone stupidly instead of putting you in a lobby where you'll have less than 80 ms ping for exemple ? Why do I have to play with players that live at the other side of the globe ? Why is that called COMPETITIVE ?
I'm shocked and bored, I hate when Nintendo put that "you don't feel the lag" effect in their multiplayer, but you can't put that on a shooter for god's sake, that's against logic !

Otherwise, the game is pretty much godlike (maybe not the best balance ever but w/e). They should add regional matchmaking (it's in MK for like almost 10 years) ... otherwise the game can't really be seen as something competitive, excuse me but that would be bullsh*t lol.

:]

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Sometimes I wonder if Nintendo even knows what ping is.

Beariie

Full Squid
Its better then a ton of games ive played over the years, especially at launch. Was smooth on the first night i got into some multiplayer, only recently have I been running into a lot of foreign laggers but thats to be expected. Its not lag thatl make the game unplayable, sure, a few wtf moments here and there but its decent enough.

Chocoling

Pro Squid
NNID
Mystical-Tabby
the only issue i have are occasional ink lag but the game runs perfectly other than that - japanese players have no effect.
your post just sounds like an angry rant.

Tophermonn

Inkling
NNID
Tophermonn
The online is going pretty well for me so far. My only complaint is that players with latency issues seem to cause confrontations to end in trades a lot of the time. There can be times where I clearly splat an opponent and go on my way, then just explode about 3 seconds latter and the kill cam zooms back to their dead ink puddle. It's kind of sad that players with sub par connections can just trade with other players with solid connections. I don't know what the developer's mindset is on this issue is at all.

I can say that I know there is a great deal of people that own this game that do not have the internet speed to play it, yet the game isn't completely unplayable because of that fact. I believe the game runs really well.

How are people's experience with the game who are aware that they have sub par internet speeds?

Last edited:

Theawesome67

Inkling
NNID
Theawesome67
The game's pretty smooth for me, I have occasional lag, but its not too often.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I can say that I know there is a great deal of people that own this game that do not have the internet speed to play it, yet the game isn't completely unplayable because of that fact. I believe the game runs really well.

How are people's experience with the game who are aware that they have sub par internet speeds?
It's not bandwidth that's the issue, it's ping. And the main bottleneck on ping is distance. The laws of physics dictate a hard minimum of how fast a packet can travel all the way across the globe.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
The only is fine for me most of the time. I don't get any more lag in this game than I do anything else, so I'm not sure what you mean. Smash on the other hand... :scared:

empieflower

Senior Squid
NNID
empieflower
Switch Friend Code
SW-4855-9837-7775
There'll be some matches I have where there's some ink lag and I sometimes die a few seconds after I get hit by a player (mainly if they wield a roller), but other than that, I mostly have super smooth matches, even with players from Japan.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've been generally lag free even with Japanese players. I do experience some lag here and then, but the only truly annoying thing is with rollers being more unpredictable.

I guess for online in general, how they handle the lobby and not being to exit annoy me.

GamemasterTom

Full Squid
NNID
GM-Tom
The only problems i got recently were because my wi-fi connection was modified to be better, so for a few days i got disconnected sometimes, but besides that, the on,ine for this game runs pefectly for me.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Do none of you really trade kills every single time you try to kill a Japanese dude? Because it literally happens every time to me. Tired of their lag tbh, specially when it's obvious I'm the one shooting first and they kill me 3 seconds later.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I am yet to see a current gen Nintendo game with actual bad online. Do you even know what a bad online is? No? Try playing any NetherRealm Studios-developed fighting game. Like, Mortal Kombat X on PC. It's terrrrrrrrrrrrrrible. Like I uninstalled the game because of how bad it is. Or just trying playing any fighting game that isn't Skullgirls, Killer Instinct (Xbox One), Smash 4 and old school arcade fights on fightcade (PC software).

Splatoon's online is not perfect, because it isn't able to break the rules of science. What I mean is that if you are playing against someone on the other side of the world, it will lag, there will be double splats and depending of your/their connections, you or they will see the opponent teleporting around. That is because of the distance the information has to travel. You can't have great matches when your opponents have 300ms of latency (and you too, from their point of view). But the good thing? The online is only "bad" if you are playing against people on Asia or other faaar away locations. I live in South America and when playing with people from SplattGAF (the Splatoon community on NeoGAF), the majority of them who live in North America, there is no lag, double splats only happen in natural circumstances (given the game's mechanics, double splats can happen regardless of lag), etc. Because even though SA is a bit distant from NA, the distance isn't enough to completely ruin the experience (and Nintendo probably knows that, considering the regional matchmaking in Mario Kart groups all three Americas).

On the online of other Nintendo titles, what is so bad about them again? Mario Kart 8's online is terrific. I have ~60 hours clocked in the game (not that many hours, I need to step up my game) and the times lag affected me were rare (and blame the issues on the wonky modem I used here pre-Splatoon release). Smash Bros have a great online, although I have to admit the online functions in the game are extremely restrictive. But the online itself works fine. How can I complain about the netcode which allows me to play For Fun matches, with four people in completely different locations, with almost no lag? And For Glory matches, 1vs1, with virtually no lag? Both versions of Smash 4 have thoroughly enjoyable online experiences IMO.

So... If you have trouble with all online multiplayer games coming from Nintendo, perhaps the issue is on your end?

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Ink lag is the worst. If you spray and the floor doesn't change color, it's just a matter of seconds until you get killed by someone. I experienced it a lot and especially in rooms with japanese players (on the other hand, when it there a room WITHOUT a japanese player XD). While it didn't bother me too much in Turf Wars, it's really frustrating in Ranked Mode :/
So yeah, continental matches should be an option.

Pink

Inkster Jr.
NNID
KirbyCanvasCurse
Most of the time the matches run perfectly smooth for me, but I occasionally get ink lag or something like a laggy roller. It's frustrating, but I've learned not to be bothered by it too much as it's out of my control.
A regional matchmaking option would be very nice.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Splatoon's online is not perfect, because it isn't able to break the rules of science. What I mean is that if you are playing against someone on the other side of the world, it will lag, there will be double splats and depending of your/their connections, you or they will see the opponent teleporting around. That is because of the distance the information has to travel. You can't have great matches when your opponents have 300ms of latency (and you too, from their point of view). But the good thing? The online is only "bad" if you are playing against people on Asia or other faaar away locations. I live in South America and when playing with people from SplattGAF (the Splatoon community on NeoGAF), the majority of them who live in North America, there is no lag, double splats only happen in natural circumstances (given the game's mechanics, double splats can happen regardless of lag), etc. Because even though SA is a bit distant from NA, the distance isn't enough to completely ruin the experience (and Nintendo probably knows that, considering the regional matchmaking in Mario Kart groups all three Americas).
But there is a fix for this. Just add regional matchmaking. That's what I'm complaining about here. And even if they do lump North and South America together, it'll still be smoother than playing against Japan or Europe. Literally anything would be a step up from how it currently works, please just stop making me fight Japanese players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom