Looking for advice from high rank rapid blaster players.

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
I've been using the rapid blaster in ranked for a little bit now and I absolutely love it.. problem is I could still be much beter at it. I use the deco variant and this is my gear:
:ability_swimspeed: :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_quicksuperjump:
:ability_swimspeed: :ability_runspeed::ability_bombrange::ability_bombrange:
:ability_damage: :ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
What is just genrally a good playstyle for the rapid blaster and how could I improve my gear (within reason, I don't save scum) or just anything really. All help is appreciated. Thanks

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
If you're looking for advice on the normal RB, I'm not your gal (seriously can't use Bubbler to save my life).

I'll let you in on some tips as an RBD user though. You're okay with the customized variant?

SplatoonisBagels

Inkster Jr.
NNID
joje02
I'm a level 37 A, and I've been using the Rapid Blaster with the Inkmine and Bubbler set as a main. I don't save scum either but if you can get this gear, the best is surely:
:ability_damage:+:ability_damage:+:ability_damage:/:ability_coldblooded:/:ability_swimspeed: mains with lots of :ability_swimspeed::ability_damage: subs as you're gonna be dodging a lot of shots and be playing as a support from a couple spaces away. Damage up perks helps kill faster, with a almost guaranteed 2HKO or a if not 3HKO. The swim speed helps for traveling fast to avoid or space and the cold blooded helps stay hidden and is a awesome ranked ability nevertheless.

I find that the Rapid Blaster is a heavy hitting ranged weapon and if you move around a lot, and always be aware, then the Rapid Blaster can be a beast. The best modes to play are Tower Control as you can hit the whole tower, and Rainmaker, again as support. If you play Tower Control, make sure to always be aware and jump off the tower as the Rapid Blaster has lots of trouble with close range. Rapid Blaster becomes a big threat, killing earlier than a 2 indirect shot Range Blaster or Luna Blaster because of the speed and 2HKO damage output. Added with even a range that is medium, better than most high damage shooters and splash damage, it is an amazing weapon to work with. Even though with the good damage output and defensive methods to playing, I usually jump right in an opponents face and direct hit them to kill and it works ;).

Strategically planting the Inkmines in choke spots or other travel areas such as the opponent's drop to mid in Bluefin Depot helps get rid of them. Ink mines are also great when in a bad position and knowing you're about to die. Placing them right before death could result in a kill for you, the cheap shots ;).

The Bubbler special is not the best for the Rapid Blaster as again, it has trouble killing close range, but as long as you practice your shots like snipers, the kills and the "Clink" sounds always satisfies. Bubbler saves your life and could always turn the tides of the game around.

Overall even though the Rapid Blaster is underrated, it can be quick to kill and become quite a support to let your team win. If you want to know about the Rapid Blaster Deco though, HappyBears probably got you covered.

We could probably play sometime if you want to see how I play it

Last edited:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Overall even though the Rapid Blaster is underrated, it can be quick to kill and become quite a support to let your team win. If you want to know about the Rapid Blaster Deco though, HappyBears probably got you covered.
Why thank you; I'd be happy to do so! So, the Rapid Blaster Deco has a much more aggressive playstyle from the normal variant, as indicated by its loadout. When using the main weapon, you should focus on a balance of turf covering and killing in a balanced mixture, and Suction Bombs can be thrown for extra ranged input (Bomb Range Up seriously helps here). Killing with the main weapon should also be done at a considerable distance for the full impact of the blast, but when done right, one should be able to get both hits in fairly easily. Practice aiming as much as you can, but again, Suction Bombs help here as well. Also placing one down can get some good close-ranged bait if people try to rush you down, just don't forget to stack some Ink Savers (either Main or Sub work fine; I personally use Main). Run Speed Up can also work here if the adversary that you face OUTranges you, so this is really a weapon for killing at midrange. The special, well, what can I say about it that I haven't done already. It has its disadvantages, being that the bombs do come out slowly and they take a while to explode, and the special doesn't last as long and some of the other Bomb Rushes, but the advantages outweigh it in every manner in my opinion. Great turfing power, great killing power, good in close range, good at long range (again, Bomb Range Up helps here a ton), and effective at either low or high elevation. For Suction Bomb Rush, stack as much Special Duration Up as you can. It's seriously helpful and so wonderfully satisfying. My personal loadout for this weapon goes as follows:

:head_eye002:: :ability_bombrange: with :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_swimspeed:
:clothes_tes018:: :ability_specialduration: with :ability_inksavermain::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_lts001:: :ability_stealthjump: with :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_defenseup:

This weapon is severely underrated. It may be hard, but learning it is all worth the payoff.

Last edited:

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
Well i probably can't be as detailed as the two above me but as a former Rapid main who reached S with the blaster (It's now my secondary...thank the Sloshing machine for that.) But i'll give some of my opinions. The more the merrier right?

If your looking for an answer on specific playstyle, with the Standard, you should focus on ranged defence, of areas that your team has pushed into and support your team in pushing further, (or defending the zone). With the Deco, it's a balace of support and attack where you should gain some turf/push for your team, but also help your team push as well. You'll gain experience in time and will learn when and where to apply yourself in situations if you commit to the weapon. I see high ranks like S and S+ where you've got some of the best knowledge about the game and how to deal with almost any situation. From a solo perspective anyway, I don't do squads.

Now for the general stuff.

The Rapid blaster as you have heard from HappyBear and Bagels, cannot deal with close range issues, at best, the standard Rapid blaster can get a trade with the inkmine, but really, as a support weapon, that's your last resort and should always be avoided into getting into those situations where possible. You've probably heard it enough but your aim is important, so always have good aim so you can make direct hits whenever possible, or get good splash damage.

If you find yourself in those situations where you need a last resort too often. Then that means you're not playing the Rapid blaster to it's full extent. The Rapid blaster (Both variants) pride themselves in fast(for a blaster), ranged combat that can generally shut down any mid range shooter from afar. I"m sure you'll hear this a lot but the Rapid blaster has some insane range for a blaster and a decent fire rate to boot. Abuse it.

A trick you can do (well, not really a trick but hey) is with ink mines, you don't necessarily have to wait until the explosion finishes to plant a new inkmine. You can plant a new one as soon as the explosion starts. Its usefulness is questionable. In a fire fight, the best that trick can do is give you more ink to stand on, which i guess is good because the rapid can't ink too well by itself, but it would be a waste of ink. You could use it as a distraction i guess while you're super jumping away.

If you want to know the gear i used, this was the set i used for a long time until i switched to the Sloshing machine, where i use :ability_haunt: instead of :ability_damage:

:head_hdp001:::ability_inksaversub: | :ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_bombrange:
Squid Girl Tunic::ability_damage: | :ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_quicksuperjump:
Squid Girl Boots: :ability_swimspeed: |:ability_swimspeed: :ability_swimspeed: :ability_defenseup:

:ability_damage:: Pretty darn useful if you find yourself relying on Splash damage for attack. Also effective when opponents run :ability_defenseup:

:ability_inksaversub:: I used it because it's on my current favourite headgear. It isn't too effective, but it's enough to help me out when using bombs.
:ability_swimspeed::Always something good to have. Get around my own ink quickly, and if i'm unsure about super jumping, i'll swim instead.
:ability_quicksuperjump::For those times i need to get out of a situation, or get to the middle of a stage quickly.
:ability_specialduration:: Extended Invincibility and Bomb rush are always a plus....but lol spyke.
:ability_bombrange:and :ability_defenseup: were compliments from Spyke. how nice. I don't save scum or anything like that so i don't want to risk re rolling what i've got unless if i'm bored and don't want the current abilities.

All in all, those abilities were what suited me best and what suited my playstyle too. I don't know what you work well with so my gear set my not have great synergy with your playstyle.

Sorry if that ended up being too long to read Dx

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
Thank you for all your help! (Definatley not just bumping this thread up. nope... *runs away*)

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I run 3 dmg up mains and 1 sub to get to 99.9 damage with one direct hit. It guarantees a two hit kill (even with two indirect hits iirc) and can sometimes steal a OHKO if the enemy has taken any damage.

I've found swim speed and some ink efficiency helpful on just about everything, so I run some of those as well. Special duration up helps on both the vanilla and the deco, so I use that a little as well. (I was lucky to get a snorkel mask with 1 dmg up sun and 2 special duration subs)

Definitely know your range and keep your spacing. This is more important on the RB than on most other weapons as your fire rate, while faster than other blasters, isn't great, and you aren't winning the close combat situations. So always err on the side of survival and swim away to regain your range, dropping a suction bomb to cover your escape when you can. Good map awareness is good for everyone, but especially for the RB because of its limitations. Recon every map and figure out where your range is, and also pay attention to common routes people take to put pressure on them.

My ideal set would probably be:
:head_eye005: :ability_damage:|:ability_specialduration::ability_specialduration::ability_damage:
:clothes_tel003: :ability_damage:|:ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
:shoes_cfs001: :ability_damage:|:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
But it doesn't quite look like that yet.

Wiebenjijzeg

Full Squid
NNID
Syrnis
Rapid blaster (pro) and luna blaster are among my most favorite weapons to use.
I am a level 46, rank S 68 player, though I only play TC + RM matches in ranked.
Personally I prefer having damage up for the rapid blasters, as their damage already is relatively low and you can easily miss, so a nice wave damage is personally prefered. Furthermore I like some ink savers to not run out of ink too fast in the heat of battle.
Depending on the map, bomb range up could prove useful for the RBD as well.

The get-up I use most often is (head, shirt, shoes in order):

Rapid Blaster Pro: having strength up I am guaranteed a 3-hit kills if I miss (same goes for normal RB), the ink savers this way, allowes me to shoot 3 more shots after releasing the seeker. This gear setup could work well with the RBD as well, as suction bombs take quite some ink.
:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_quicksuperjump:
:ability_damage::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksaversub::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_inksaversub::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksaversub::ability_inksavermain:

Rapid Blaster: As with the pro, the damage allows me for a 3-hit kill if I miss. The Special saver and special up allows me to more often use the bubbler to deal with pesky situations. Ink mines don't use a lot of ink, so no need for sub savers. I don't play with the deco variation though, as I like having some close protection with the mines and bubbler.
:ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_damage::ability_quicksuperjump:
:ability_specialsaver::ability_inksavermain::ability_damage::ability_inksavermain:
:ability_damage::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_damage:

Luna Blaster: As the Luna Blaster is more of a sneaky assasination type of weapon, I am experimenting with ninja abilities, whilst countering their negatives (and boosting those at the same time). Working out quite well for small maps like blackbelly, mahi-mahi and urchin. So far I found it to work very well during tower control. Not using the neo luna, as I dislike the sub/spec (not too good with splat bombs)
(Currently experimenting with the following gear)
:ability_quicksuperjump::ability_runspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed:
:ability_ninjasquid::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
:ability_stealthjump::ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_damage:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom