Looking to run Heavy Splatling; any tips/gear suggestions?

Kruphix

Inkling
NNID
mrbrightsidex11
I'll always be an Eliter scope main, but I've recently been wanting to pick up a second weapon, and the Splatling certainly interests me. Do any of you guys have tips for training for it, or any suggestions as to what I should run for my gear?

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
I really enjoyed the splatling when it released, and made it one of my four standard loadouts. I can give you some starting tips, but you gotta see how you wield it, and modify it to your play style.

although the splatling works like a charger, it serves to suppress and contain. you still need to hit about four times to splat someone. an opponent can still escape if they're fast enough. when at a distance, paint both in front of and behind your target to cover their escape points, then aim for a direct shot.

if it's close range and you're ambushed, charge your shot enough to shoot a little, and aim directly at them. (that's not to say a full charge won't do the job, but if they're too close, a tiny charge should do, and give you mobility.) if it's one against two+, focus on keeping them where they are, or make them retreat until your team comes. if you're fast enough, you should be able to handle two.

use your sub effectively. the splash wall has cut off entry ways and blocked incoming fire countless times for me. the splatlng offers just enough ink to throw a wall and shoot a full charge without refilling. just make sure you can retreat, otherwise you'll be standing there with no ink.

take your time, and evaluate maps and pathways. I guess you'd already know this since you mained the Eliter, but since the splatling has less range and damage per shot, you'll often be on the edge, or in the middle, of a scuffle, and squids like to sneak up on splatlings. like I said earlier, always have an exit (but that's with any strategy, so you should be good).

for gear, it's nice to equip an ink saver main, and at least one damage up buff (whether it be three subs, or a main), so you can continuously shoot if in a bind, and keep your damage output from afar. I also use a defense up, just in case I can't escape, and need to squirt a tiny charge to splat someone while they're hitting me.

hope this helps! If anyone else has other strategies, chime in! I'm curious to see other techniques too.

Last edited:

Kruphix

Inkling
NNID
mrbrightsidex11
Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to use it well. I have a feeling I'll play with a very defensive style, as that's how I typically play Eliter. Some gear and experiences definitely carry over from that weapon to the splatling as well.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Little Gear Tip: While charging the Splatling (barrel is spinning), you ignore the snare debuff procced by enemy ink. As a result, Ink Resistance isn't necessary on the Splatling, freeing you up to run Ink Savers or Ink Recoveries or whatever else you want to run on your shoes.

Kruphix

Inkling
NNID
mrbrightsidex11
Thanks! I'll be sure to keep that in mind while building my gear.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
For gear, I'd say Ink Recovery Up might be a bit more useful than Ink Saver (main) on this one (and that's coming from someone who usually can't play with at least 2 main Ink Saver (main) on their outfit). In case you want to make sure you're always going to splat in 4 shots, I'd suggest at least 2 sub or 1 main Damage Up; aside of that it's up to you.

For tips, I'll say what I've been saying a lot around here; make the enemy play your game, not the other way around. You have a long range and good ink coverage, so you can make enemies just avoid you completely by shooting in their general direction if you can't take them on reliably. However, always keep in mind how much ink you have/will have left (ink is life in this game; quite literally)

Rayze

Inkling
NNID
Volade
In my opinion run speed up is very valuable for the Splatling. It's important to be as mobile as possible. Run speed can help you win duels. Ink saver main and ink recovery up are also great abilities. Ink resistance up is also still somewhat helpful, even on the Splatling. It's a tough weapon to learn; your positioning needs to be good and you need to prevent getting stuck in a location (as in, the opposing team locks you down). Good luck.

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
Personally I run an ink saver sub so that I can get a splash wall out in a tight spot and still have enough ink left for duels, since a full charge isnt always needed to win them. I also prefer to have ink resistance shoes (one set i have has a perfect roll of run speed up) so that I don't suffer too much in duels or when i need to back up and move around. Sometimes I switch between having ink saver main, or quick respawn depending on if it's turf war or ranked.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
What I use is ink savor main for conserving ink (though ink recovery is good too)
ink savor sub help save ink when you use splash wall and have some ink to shoot at folks with
run speed up also helps because being nimble with this weapon is actually good

What I use is ink savor main for conserving ink (though ink recovery is good too)
ink savor sub help save ink when you use splash wall and have some ink to shoot at folks with
run speed up also helps because being nimble with this weapon is actually good
Exactly. Run speed up is a good ability to have with the Splatling.

Kruphix

Inkling
NNID
mrbrightsidex11
Thank you all so much for the advice! Did not expect to get this much input. I'll have a fun time assembling gear for this, that's for sure :P

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
Just like a charger, you don't want to just rush in and start turfing and splating. Make your way carefully to the center while covering turf eficciently. Charge it and slowly pan the camera from left to right or vice versa while shooting up to ink turf well. ALWAYS make your way to high ground if you have the chance. If you get stuck in enemy ink. Just splat one shot at your feet and move out. For close encounters and get aways, throw out your splash wall and always try to get behind it.

Just like a charger, you don't want to just rush in and start turfing and splating. Make your way carefully to the center while covering turf eficciently. Charge it and slowly pan the camera from left to right or vice versa while shooting up to ink turf well. ALWAYS make your way to high ground if you have the chance. If you get stuck in enemy ink. Just splat one shot at your feet and move out. For close encounters and get aways, throw out your splash wall and always try to get behind it.
Thats way better advice than I could ever give.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
As a primarily Brush/Roller user who has dabbled in the Splatling, I must stress that awareness of your laterals/flank is important. Someone with a Carbon, Krak-On, or any Brush might take advantage of the window of time where you are attacking someone else to manuver for a blindside attack. I speak from experience, having done this myself to enemy Splatling users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom