Losing streaks

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I quit after about 2 losses in rank because its kinda easy to fall out of rank in B+ even though I have been hanging in there longer than before. Disconnects are also a monkey wrench since I wanna do one more match to make up for it only to get trampled in the following matchup. Sometimes I'll quit after a disconnect since its kinda risky to go at it again just for your rank to go down even lower, which is kinda like losing twice anyway.

This is why I wait until I get to a higher number to play some of the more riskier modes like Rainmaker, as well as, other maps I'm not as good at yet. I don't wanna carry myself to A- only to get crushed, but I have to play is smart if I'm ever gonna get there at all.

BananaAuxiliary

Inkling
NNID
KoopaDunk
Unfortunately, it's hard to escape bad players in any competitive game. I was stuck in A- for such a long time, partly due to this.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I know there's a lot of bad people playing in S rank, but can we keep the insult-slinging to a minimum please? It's not worth it.

There are games that i lost thanks to that one guy who packed an Aero RG to Rainmaker, there were also games that i lost because i failed to provide enough coverage as a sniper or didn't net enough splats as a Heavy. The chances are even that the same bad players appear on the other team, don't forget that.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
The chances are even that the same bad players appear on the other team, don't forget that.
Well, no - they're higher. You have 3 teammates and 4 opponents. If, in your room, other than yourself, there are six average players and one 'bad' player (having a bad day, not used to this mode, trying a new weapon, just got a new Rank, etc.), you've got a 57% chance of having an advantage and a 43% chance of having to bear with them as a teammate; the converse goes for if there's a clearly superior player (typically Carbon Rollers, in my experience, for whatever reason...), as, 4 times out of 7, they'll be your opponent. However, taking both into account, assuming there's a roughly even chance of the room containing either of these players (or both), yes, your 'luck' in matchmaking should even out over time.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Well, no - they're higher. You have 3 teammates and 4 opponents. If, in your room, other than yourself, there are six average players and one 'bad' player (having a bad day, not used to this mode, trying a new weapon, just got a new Rank, etc.), you've got a 57% chance of having an advantage and a 43% chance of having to bear with them as a teammate; the converse goes for if there's a clearly superior player (typically Carbon Rollers, in my experience, for whatever reason...), as, 4 times out of 7, they'll be your opponent. However, taking both into account, assuming there's a roughly even chance of the room containing either of these players (or both), yes, your 'luck' in matchmaking should even out over time.
There's also the chance the player is the bad teammate who accidentally got carried, or a good one who ended up ranking down for whatever reason. So i'd say the chances are even.

Brie_no.20

Senior Squid
NNID
belle-noire20
I had a streak of loses today, but what made it bad was that I was continuously being put in teams where half of the players weren't even playing. And this kept happening even after quitting lobbies and coming back again after a few minutes. I've had at least 4 games where this had happened, so I got salty real quick.

It didn't help that most of our loses were on the Mahi Mahi stage. X-(

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
The only time I get losing streaks is when:
1. i'm on a bad team
2. i haven't warmed up yet
3. the opposing team is full of complete jerks that camp spawn
4. i'm on a map i loathe

whenever it happens, it's genuinely unenjoyable but for the most part i just refresh my lobby so I don't get too salty about it. Helps make the Losing streak a bit less ... possible, but most times I'll sit out maps i don't like.

Mr. 9

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
interesting_deal
Well, that topic just shows up everywhere. Most of the players (I don't know how many but I would say an eeeeasy 60%) are feeling their teammates are bad. From my point of view, you can't expect much from them, as you have almost no way to communicate with them. Obviously they'll never play as you think they should, they don't even kno what you think or do most of the time.

But as I said in other topics, luck balances out with the amount of games. So even if your teammates are bad, your opponents are not better. You can't just say "I played 1000 games, and in 900 of them, the other team had better players". Even if you play several times with the same players, the teams are miwed everytime, so having a losing streak should be as much your fault than your mates' fault.

I'm pretty sure the other problem is that ratio is way too overrated. For instance you see a lot of players saying "I killed three, my teammates didn't do anything!". But well, most of the time, it means "actually, I killed 2 and exchanged, and I was able to do that because the ones I killed were killing my mates". Between someone playing 10-3 with a very defensive style and someone with the same 10-3 with the always-agressive-or-flanking plan, the game isn't the same at all.

My advice is: never consider what you did was good if you die. Obviously it's too much and quite wrong, but if you follow this for a while, this might change your playstyle in a way that makes you win more (and at least it's interesting to try). Because by not dying, you stop relying on others. When you're with your squad, you can tell "take the tower", but not in solo, so don't expect them to know they can. In S+ it's pretty much OK I feel, guys always are looking at the squids up there, but it will never be as you like. You'll still feel like they're bad, even though they were able to carry S teams to go S+.

So well, by not dying you can play the objective, or kill, or do whatever you want. When you die you're forced to rely on your teammates for a while, the same ones you're saying are bad. And that seems like a bad plan.

And well, they're probably thinking you're bad too, even putting it on squidboards possibly, like "I was defending the whole game alone, guys were either flanking the whole game while their timing was bad, only killed the useless ones or turfed some useless area". That's what the lack of communication does (like in some love couples! :p).

PS: About bad jumps, well, I say "come on" when my mates are spawning, and most of the time they like the spots I'm choosing for them, so I can forced them to jump safe. If they still try very bad jumps, well, I can either try to save them (not recommended in a lot of situations) or just use them as decoy (easier when you feel it's risky to try a save).

PPS: I never actually had real losing streaks (I'm not sure I ever lost 10 games in a row, even when trying new weapons), and I think it's mainly because I make decent decisions and know how to secure a win.

PPPS (yeah!): It's kinda weird to see people saying the ranks are messed up like S and C aren't much different, and yet are having alts accounts... As obviously, having an S/S+ player at B/C is messing up the ranks. And that seems quite common (while I can't really see the reasons why having alt accounts).
Perfectly said. Sometimes I wish it was possible to like a post more than once.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
for me once you get to a decent rank everyone in general knows how to play so for a long loseing streak to happen for me say over 4 games it's basically due to 1 thing only, bad gun composition.

ZainreFang

Pro Squid
NNID
ZainreFang
I know there's a lot of bad people playing in S rank, but can we keep the insult-slinging to a minimum please? It's not worth it.

There are games that i lost thanks to that one guy who packed an Aero RG to Rainmaker, there were also games that i lost because i failed to provide enough coverage as a sniper or didn't net enough splats as a Heavy. The chances are even that the same bad players appear on the other team, don't forget that.
Not really about the splats. You could go 22-3 and lose. Happens all the time.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I've said this before, but there's a huge skill gap in S because of the lack of S-, so a lot of S players absolutely suck because they where either carried there through squads with higher ranked friends, or got lucky. I cant even tell you the amount of times I lost my cool in S rank because so many of my mates played like B's. It's frustrating.
Not sure how much weight this carries but I see plenty of people in Turf (who are S rank) do the dumbest of things. Of course, they may be trying out new weapons, builds, or may be having a bad day but still, it gets annoying when you see this game after game.

Though, if I'm to be 100% fair here, I fall in the category of "bad S rank players"... I don't really play Ranked that much so maybe that's why...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom