Love the game, but I'm just about done with it.

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
Being the deciding factor it's possible, but sometimes also depends on the enemies.

If I have 3 bad players on my team, and I'm against 2 good players and 2 bads, it's possible to win, but really hard. If three of them are good-decent players, and I'm with 3 bad players, then the probabilities are really really low, but of course, I'm not a pro, I know you have made really nice scores, so you might be one of the few exceptiones that can play against three skill players or even four by him/herself, but in most of the occasions, when there are decent players involved, the team with more decent players will win.
Oh yeah, but I mean, losing on rank battles could led to not advancing your rank. I feel confident and I consider I do my part. I'm not a pro, but I consider myself a decent-good player, but there's nothing I can do with two people of my same level while the other members of my team aren't decent players.

I mean, sometimes I even lose 3 matches in a row, until one of the decent players rotates to my team, or until the teams are skill balanced, something like 2 decent players vs 2 decent players, actually, those are the most fun games, because it's intense.

PlateProp

Inkling
Carrying the team is kind of annoying actually, knowing that I'm able to bust in and splat all 4 of the opposing team yet my other 3 teammates cant irks me so much.

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Oh yeah, but I mean, losing on rank battles could led to not advancing your rank. I feel confident and I consider I do my part. I'm not a pro, but I consider myself a decent-good player, but there's nothing I can do with two people of my same level while the other members of my team aren't decent players.

I mean, sometimes I even lose 3 matches in a row, until one of the decent players rotates to my team, or until the teams are skill balanced, something like 2 decent players vs 2 decent players, actually, those are the most fun games, because it's intense.
If you really are a good enough player, you will eventually rank up. If you're stuck on the same rank because your victory depends on the luck of the draw, then you are probably at the rank you are supposed to be. If you are really sure you should be doing better than that, quit the lobby and find a new one, and see if anything changes. If so, enjoy your new rank. If not, focus on getting better instead.

ThatsSo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ThatsSo
Being the deciding factor it's possible, but sometimes also depends on the enemies.

If I have 3 bad players on my team, and I'm against 2 good players and 2 bads, it's possible to win, but really hard. If three of them are good-decent players, and I'm with 3 bad players, then the probabilities are really really low, but of course, I'm not a pro, I know you have made really nice scores, so you might be one of the few exceptiones that can play against three skill players or even four by him/herself, but in most of the occasions, when there are decent players involved, the team with more decent players will win.
Well it's worth keeping in mind ranked should even out until the point where you are going up against people who are on your skill level, there won't really be "Goods" and "Bads", there will be players of a certain rank who are on the same skill level as other people of the rank. That's not really true now, as people who deserve to be of a high rank just haven't gotten there yet, but things should level out pretty nicely. I actually really like Splatoon's ranking system, because you genuinely do have to earn your rank, you wont encounter a "Bad" B rank player. A lot of game with ranking systems make it so you can climb your way through the ranks even if you only win half of the matches, but in Splatoon you genuinely have to be notably better than a C- player to leave the C- rank. It's not a ranking system where slow and steady will help you reach the top, you 'll cap out at the rank you deserve to cap out at.

I'm not denying the fact that the game can place things in the other teams favor, it certainly happens and I'm not expecting people to consistently pull their entire team, but you do have to keep in mind the actual probability of that happening. Assuming you aren't much of a factor in your team winning or losing, there's a 50% chance you'll wind up with the team who wins. It's actually in your favor that there isn't a party system. When I hear things like "I'm losing 4/5", I think people have to keep in mind statistically they should only be losing half, and that's if they're average for the players they're playing with.
Some very simple probability math will hopefully better emphasize why numbers like that can't really just be chalked up to luck. As I said before, team placement being random gives you a 50% chance you'll wind up on the winning team, assuming you yourself aren't the deciding factor.
Your chance to wind up on the bad team once is 1-0.5=50%
Your chance to wind up on the bad team twice in a row is 1-(0.5)^2=25%
Your chance to wind up on the bad team three times in a row is 1-(0.5)^3=12.5%
Your chance to wind up on the bad team four times in a row is 1-(0.5)^4=6.25%
I'm hoping you can now understand why I think anyone who says they're consistently losing 4 out of every 5 has to be the deciding factor in their team losing.

Again, I hate to be rude but I have to be brutally honest. If you can't make it out of C- rank, it's because you're on par with the average C- rank player. If you do stand out from them, you'll be winning more than 50% of them and rise in the ranks

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
Again, I hate to be rude but I have to be brutally honest. If you can't make it out of C- rank, it's because you're on par with the average C- rank player. If you do stand out from them, you'll be winning more than 50% of them and rise in the ranks
Actually, you'd have to be below average not to be able to make it out of C-, since at that level, the reward for winning is so much greater than the punishment for losing. I agree with your general point, however.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Maybe it's because I just keep losing, but I'm really not having a lot of fun with the Splat Zones mode. It doesn't really feel very competitive to me, it just seems like "Hey, whoever gets here first wins!" and that's the end of it. Again, maybe i'm just being a sore loser, but I don't know.
I only feel that way about urchin underpass. The warehouse and the mall imho are fun. Skate park I am indifferent.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Splatoon is like the only game where i dont care about win or loss, even in ranked.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't let it get to me. I play the online modes for fun. I think of this as practice until the ability to play with friends on a team against enemy teams comes out.

Until then, I'll just be fine.

Sigakure

Inkster Jr.
NNID
martinengo
If you really are a good enough player, you will eventually rank up. If you're stuck on the same rank because your victory depends on the luck of the draw, then you are probably at the rank you are supposed to be. If you are really sure you should be doing better than that, quit the lobby and find a new one, and see if anything changes. If so, enjoy your new rank. If not, focus on getting better instead.
Ohh, I'm not C-, I'm B+ since I commented here, but still, I notice that if there's no equal decent players on both teams, the team with most decent players has the bigger chances to win, unless as I said, you are a pro (I'm not).

Anyways, it's not that bad, I know it'll be way better when we can play with friends.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
A lot of times I lose and then win. It's just a lot of people just got the game and don't know how to play. Once everyone knows how to play, there will be more strategy involved than just rushing in, ink, get killed.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I win a lot, but I'm a pretty good player. I get a nice amount of splats and I still get upwards of 1000p each match. Sometimes the other team is just too good for me to carry a bad team, though. I also have lots of issues with ranked mode at the moment. Splatzones annoys me. Maybe it's just because I often have gotten a bad team. I also need to get a better strategy for it. Personally, I'm not tired at all. I've been playing daily for 3+ hours and I'm not tired of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom