Luna Blaster: Analysis and Thoughts

Milo

Inkling
NNID
ValkyrieRT
The weapon itself isn't bad, I'm not sure if I like it having inkzooka and mines, though

Ametrine

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ferrethugger98
I'm not very good with Blasters, but this baby right here makes me want to master them really badly. The fact that it uses my favorite sub helps a lot, too.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Ok just tried it in a ranked battle. Was getting destroyed until I realized the secret is jumping and shooting. Was able to then rack up 9 kills in the last half of the game and help win it for the team.

Ink mine is kinda useless for me, a bomb would be better.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
When using this, I always get the most kills on my team, but I get 3rd or 4th in terms of ink coverage. Can't tell if that's good or not...

Milo

Inkling
NNID
ValkyrieRT
When using this, I always get the most kills on my team, but I get 3rd or 4th in terms of ink coverage. Can't tell if that's good or not...
Killing does help your team in a way, so I'd say so

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
In splatzones, this weapon is stupidly overpowered. Two or three shots will take the zone and it one shots any opponent who is dumb enough to stand in the zone waiting to be blasted.

In Turf Wars it's pretty useless though, yeah.

McSquid

Inkling
I love this weapon, its Great. The increased blast Zone and Improved rate of Fire is wonderfull. Its viable in Turf wars as well as in Zones. You just take mid and defend it. it shouldnt be a Problem, behause the ink meines and the blast range is Perfect for zoning and block alternate paths to mid.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
It's almost like a "true" shotgun. Move over, rollers.

But yeah... in the aerospray and roller infested turf wars I get monster kill numbers with this, in particular blowing away aerosprays
with its power is satisfying. Inkzooka works wonders when you need extra range. Mines help in defending objectives which this blaster
struggles with due to short range but they would be better if they were actually good mines.

McSquid

Inkling
I agree, the mines dont work sometimes and you get trapped badly. I feel like the activation time could be a little shorter, so its harder to avoid the explosion. Then the bomb sniffer perk would also be more desireable. When it comes to inking, i think the luna blaster is better than the regular blaster because of the higher fire rate and explosion. I main Blaster and with the Luna Blaster i get far more points.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I agree, the mines dont work sometimes and you get trapped badly. I feel like the activation time could be a little shorter, so its harder to avoid the explosion. Then the bomb sniffer perk would also be more desireable. When it comes to inking, i think the luna blaster is better than the regular blaster because of the higher fire rate and explosion. I main Blaster and with the Luna Blaster i get far more points.
As it is mines only really kill people with slow reflexes or are preoccupied with something else. This coupled with the fact that you can't place
another mine until the first has detonated kind of encourages you to babysit the mine in order to maximize it's effectiveness, which clearly
isn't their intended use when paired with this weapon or the aerospray rg. The only places mines are relatively good at guarding without too much
supervision on your part are high vantage points that must be climbed to like the tower in blackbelly skatepark.

In splatzones, this weapon is stupidly overpowered. Two or three shots will take the zone and it one shots any opponent who is dumb enough to stand in the zone waiting to be blasted.

In Turf Wars it's pretty useless though, yeah.
The short range of the projectile means you pretty much have to be standing in or very close to the zone yourself for that to happen, during
which time you're exposed to the defenders who most likely severely outrange you.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
The short range of the projectile means you pretty much have to be standing in or very close to the zone yourself for that to happen, during
which time you're exposed to the defenders who most likely severely outrange you.
All the Luna blasters I've seen come into the zone and dominate. Everyone has to retreat to higher ground or out of the zone so that they can combat this threat. Most of the time he storms the zone splatting a couple people, takes the zone and whatever happens after that is dependent on if he has backup.

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
The thing about the short range though is that generally its actually perfect distance to splat someone who is sniping/camping barely out of the splatzone in most of the maps. It can (sometimes barely) reach every part of saltspray rigs spots but like the corner. Its actually really good distance and I get most of my splats from that. It's now my weapon of choice and i usually get 10 splats atleast. I've always been a shortrange type of person anyways.

This is my first blaster weapon Ive enjoyed so I dont know if its in all of them but i generally have problems with trying to move after shooting and being stuck there so the enemy easily gets me, especially if they transform into a kraken because i missed the one hit kill.

Inkmines are pretty useless for me tho, but they can be helpful atleast. Sometimes i get a random kill and it also delays the opponent a tiny bit lol.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Ok. So after playing it a whole bunch, I've come to a basic understanding.

This weapon is good. Amazing in splatzone an good in turf war to be more accurate. It's ability to kill and being able to fire a tiny bit quicker than the blaster really helps. It also is a very good, "jump and gun" weapon. In fact, it is important that you do. Being mobile is a must with this weapon.

The sub weapon...yeah...It's decently good for when you want to put the opponent right where you want them...but because it goes off after a short period of time, you have to re set it, putting yourself out in the open in the progress. Not to mention, you lack any sort of way to deal with range opponents unless you have your special.

But speaking of the special, it has an amazing one. The inkzooka is fantastic! Able to spread a lot of ink, while easily killing opponents. And killing opponents is key for splat zones, because even with a special that could spread a lot of ink, it doesn't matter as much if the opponents are still there to clean it up. Not to mention splatting an opponent cause a nice big mess of your own ink.

So overall, I love this weapon. Going to be using it a lot, along with my chargers.

I want to quickly compare it to the Rebrand version of it coming out sometime later. The rebrand gets splat bombs and splat bomb bomb rush. So it gets a better sub, and a good special. I prefer the inkzooka, but I think it is a pretty fair rebrand. People are going to like having splat bombs in favor of ink mine, and some are going to want inkzooka in favor of bomb rush.

SpotterX4

Inkling
NNID
SpotterX4
This is my personal favorite blaster. I always never liked the blaster cuz I was like, "come on! can't you be more like shotgun?? you should be one-shotting!!" the Luna Blaster was the answer, and I'm so happy now. It's my favorite weapon for splat zones, and its great to have another shotgun option outside of rollers since I prefer guns.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The Luna Blaster continues my support of how awesome the Inkzooka is. I think having the inkzooka is an outstanding reason to go with the Luna Blaster instead of the Blaster I feel to some.

I think I know how these blasters were designed.

The regular blaster was made to be all around. You got decent range, decent coverage, and an amazing killing power.
You got a choice between more offense, or a slightly more support role with the Blaster.

The rapid blaster...I have no idea really. I don't think I heard anything good about this weapon even with it's rapid fire.

The Long Blaster coming out someday, I'm going to take a guess will have the same damage as a regular blaster, but will have more range and even less rate of fire. So this weapon will be more sniping type deal with the impact being helpful.

The Luna blaster I feel on the other hand, was made for pure offense. It has short range but slightly more higher rate of fire. It has ink mine to put people right where you want them as well as inkzooka, one of the most offensive weapons in the game.

And thats why I love it. It's such a good killing weapon and killing is a satisfying thing to do. That sound effect when you get a direct hit too. :D

It's also amazing on Blackberry skatepark. It's very easy to hide and get the jump on them. As well as the tight quarters makes the short range not as big of a deal. One thing I love doing on this map is kill a couple guys first with special at full. Then take it out and hit a couple guys coming out of spawn due to how small this map is. Seriously, this weapon is great at pushing back other opponents for your team to help cap zones.

Honestly, this is an amazing weapon. The Neo Luna Blaster is probably going to be good as well...but the inkzooka is just too good and I love having it! The Neo Luna Blaster is probably going to have a better time laying down ink thanks to the splat bombs. So it is a nice tradeoff sacrificing more direct offense for more ink coverage and pressure.

Almost forgot, it also has an incredibly cute design. <3

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
The Luna blaster I feel on the other hand, was made for pure offense. It has short range but slightly more higher rate of fire. It has ink mine to put people right where you want them as well as inkzooka, one of the most offensive weapons in the game.

And thats why I love it. It's such a good killing weapon and killing is a satisfying thing to do. That sound effect when you get a direct hit too. :D
I have to agree. I've played with every weapon available for hours at at time to get a feel for what its strength and weakness are. The Luna Blaster is at best, similar to explosion weapons in other games (rocket launchers). You can damage opponents around corners and the splash damage affects multiple targets even when one is standing in front of the other shielding. I don't know if that is a bug or not, but I take full advantage of it in Ranked Battle modes. The disadvantage is hitting ground loses the "splash" explosion. Hitting a wall near the opponent has the same issue. So this weapon works best being aimed to always explode in the air.

For splat zones, you can use it to choke narrow paths because the ink usage for continuous firing is quite efficient. For the new Tower Defense mode, this weapon has not taken much notice yet but it's one of the best I've used so far. The ability to aim the explosion right above the moving tower and take out any/all enemies on it is great. The ability to walk ahead of the moving tower and defend teammates is unmatched. Pair it up with my items, I have head gear, shirts, and shoes that all focus strength and nothing else. Makes every shot an instant kill whether it hits or not. :)

cuberandgamer

Inkling
NNID
cuberandgamer
I believe Splatoon is a balanced game overall, but I feel as if the blaster line is a little OP. They can OHKO you from full health and they tend to really annoy me. That being said the Luna Blaster looks really cool.

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
Blasters have to hit you dead on to OHKO you and generally they are downright awful for both close and distant fights. They can be great mid-ish range weapons with hella nice blast radius to go around corners and are strong but they have intense weaknesses that can cripple them in my experience. Atleast the Luna Blaster

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I have to agree. I've played with every weapon available for hours at at time to get a feel for what its strength and weakness are. The Luna Blaster is at best, similar to explosion weapons in other games (rocket launchers). You can damage opponents around corners and the splash damage affects multiple targets even when one is standing in front of the other shielding. I don't know if that is a bug or not, but I take full advantage of it in Ranked Battle modes. The disadvantage is hitting ground loses the "splash" explosion. Hitting a wall near the opponent has the same issue. So this weapon works best being aimed to always explode in the air.
It isn't a bug. It's the "impact" stat all blasters have. And it has been demonstrated quite a bit by the Splatoon team that that is an advantage of blasters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom