Luna Blaster Neo tho

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
hey squids! I'm new to posting here, and I wanted to make a ranked guide for the Luna blaster Neo on all modes. I'm an S+ 54 (74 is the highest I've been), and I want to share some tips and strats. I know a lot of people know about the viability of this gun on tower control, but I believe it is very strong on the other modes as well.
I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how about making a useful/reader friendly guide or if there is anything you would like me to go over specifically.
I have some Splatoon vids (before the latest patch) on my YouTube vid at "Trey15 Roronoa" or you can check out my boy's vids at Jehernandez1282. He is one of the main guys I squad with and picks a variety of weapons but mainly the tentatek and the zink mini splatling.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
Cool can't wait! I actually had a sort of hate towards Luna's because of Tower Control just like I hate the 96. Gal, but a informative guide for all modes would be very cool and appreciated!

I've started using it in B+ ranked (I was A+ but I ranked down, so I started to use weapons I've never used. Don't ask me how I ranked down that much... I don't know either) with 2 quick super jump mains 1 bomb range up main and 3 ink recovery up subs and 3 quick super jump subs ( My bomb range up gear was new and didn't have any subs) Although I knew I was using it wrong, I still liked it! So a guide on how to use it with gear set-ups would be great! And you seem to be very skilled too so you can learn peeps a thing or two about the Luna Blaster.

And welcome to Squidboards!

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Cool can't wait! I actually had a sort of hate towards Luna's because of Tower Control just like I hate the 96. Gal, but a informative guide for all modes would be very cool and appreciated!

I've started using it in B+ ranked (I was A+ but I ranked down, so I started to use weapons I've never used. Don't ask me how I ranked down that much... I don't know either) with 2 quick super jump mains 1 bomb range up main and 3 ink recovery up subs and 3 quick super jump subs ( My bomb range up gear was new and didn't have any subs) Although I knew I was using it wrong, I still liked it! So a guide on how to use it with gear set-ups would be great! And you seem to be very skilled too so you can learn peeps a thing or two about the Luna Blaster.

And welcome to Squidboards!
Greatly appreciated! I will probably hand write my guide out, and then type it up. Don't worry it is common to go down ranks whether it is due to not syncing with teammates properly, tough modes for ur play style, or other variables.
I seem to be the only Luna that goes for this set up, and it's one reason I post on here. Your 3 gear mains should be 1.ink saver main 2. Ink saver sub 3.one that fits ur play style.
I will get more into the "why" and strats later, but It is to counter snipers and blast walls. Again I'll explain more in detail later

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Part 1: the basics of the Luna
I want to first say that the Luna should be played in 3 or 4 ways depending on the ranked type you are playing. Those ways are
1.pawn/enforcer
2.last line of defense
3.brother's keeper
*4. Protector of the objective (mainly for rainmaker and tower control)

The strategies I will give will be based on these types of play styles. I will go deeper on these later.
First You want to have
1.ink saver main
2. Ink saver sub
3. Your choice (although not another sub because it does nothing, nor should u use any special related sub because u are gonna die a lot) this spot should go to either respawn, swim speed or strength.
The reason you want a ton of ink is so that you can extend your threat range. any time you throw a bomb, you are no longer a sitting duck. Every time you see a charger or a splat wall, you should immediately throw a splat bomb at its location. This forces the charger to
1.trade
2.retreat
3.turn on special when he didn't want to (which is crucial in tc and rainmaker.)​
You are now also able to force splatwall users to move because their wall will be destroyed (I do not recommend chasing them immediately).
This is just the beginning, and I will touch both of these match ups further as well.​

Last edited:

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
i'm not a fan of lunas, but maybe reading your guide will help out!

but if i could offer some criticism, it'd be good to format it nicely! perhaps like this;

PART 1: THE BASICS OF THE LUNA

I want to first say that the Luna should be played in 3 or 4 ways depending on the ranked type you are playing.
Those ways are;

1. pawn/enforcer
2. last line of defense
3. brother's keeper
4. protector of the objective (mainly for rainmaker and tower control)
The strategies I will give will be based on these types of play styles. I will go deeper on these later.

GEAR
You want to have
1. ink saver (main)
2. ink saver (sub)
3. your choice between respawn, swim speed or strength.

The reason you want a ton of ink is so that you can extend your threat range. any time you throw a bomb, you are no longer a sitting duck. Every time you see a charger or a splat wall, you should immediately throw a splat bomb at its location. This forces the charger to; trade, retreat, or turn on special when he didn't want to (which is crucial in tc and rainmaker.) You are now also able to force splatwall users to move because their wall will be destroyed (I do not recommend chasing them immediately).

This is just the beginning, and I will touch both of these match ups further as well.​
that makes it easier to follow and for people to quickly find the information they're looking for! good luck writing :>

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Part 2: Mongoose V's Cobra aka Luna V's charger
"He will crush your head, and you will bite his heel".
Yes, this is your tango partner, accept it and move on. If you don't get him, no one else will, and if you don't like it, pick another gun =p.

Who is the captain of a squad? What player influences a match the most? The answer is the E-Liter of course, and that is why it issue job to go get him!
Whether it be tc, rainmaker, or Splatzones, at the beginning of the match, u need to locate if the other team has a sniper.
Make sure you are of course keeping a mental count of krakens and bubblers as well.

Now as soon as the match begins... don't get killed. Wait, wait, hear me out! If there is a sniper on the other team, do not rush to the rm/tower. Always assume the charger on the other team is the most efficient speed runner and can shoot 10 out of ten moving targets. So it is your job to immediately locate him, and see where his first shot goes. Make sure that u are hidden and occasionaly throwing grenades towards the objective. You should also position yourself in such a way u can see the charger, at least one other enemy and one ally.

Make sure u are keeping track of the active amount of players at the top. If u see an x on ur team, u need to immediately pull back further in ur base and be prepared to punish anyone trying to charge in.
If there is a x on their side, it is now time to try and flank the charger, or punish anyone possibly protecting him. Your goal should be to make it 3-2 in your advantage or 4-2.

If the stand off at the begginning was long and u have a feeling the other team has krakens/bubblers, you need to grab the rainmaker and just go. You are going to die, but you want to go forward and place the rainmaker in a less than ideal position for the other team. It would also be nice if the other side wastes a special or two.

Also when u are in splat bomb range of the sniper u should always throw out ur splat bomb, if he stays to fight GO GET HIM!!!!! If he retreats, u make a half hearted chase. He is most likely luring u into a trap, so u act as if u are chasing, and u swim away in a way that doesn't show a ripple.
You should also take note of "sniper spots" and camp and wait near them, even if this means at times letting other enemy squids swim by you.
Make sure you are also never in the middle just shooting. When u kill someone, u should never be mindlessly shooting in the middle unless you have located that the charger is in another location

Last edited:

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
First of all @RoronoaTREY15 throw this is the guide section! This is good stuff!

I read all of it, but I realised, I learned all of it by playing :P. I learned I should really play defensive when the sniper is still around, and I should try to force the sniper out it's 'safe zone' as soon as possible. I'm actually maining this weapon atm. Trying to learn more and more about it.

But there's one thing that's totally different with how you play, and that's the gear set-up. I run: Squid Nordic (With horrible subs) Blue Sailor Suit (Same thing here) and :shoes_slo002: with 2 :ability_inksaversub:. I like to spam my Splat bombs wherever my opponents may be. Because of:ability_bombrange: combined :ability_inksaversub: I can just spam them over the map. If I still have :ability_comeback: It just becomes dumb.

About challenging chargers. It becomes really easy with :ability_bombrange: lol. I played SZ Moray with the Luna. And I got so many kill by just throwing a bomb on their perch and just see it explode when they're peeking in their scope.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15

but if i could offer some criticism, it'd be good to format it nicely! perhaps like this;

that makes it easier to follow and for people to quickly find the information they're looking for! good luck writing :>
Y

hey thanks a lot! I'll definately go back over and change it. Also if there is anything you think I didn't hit hard enough, or wasn't very clear about, feel free give input so I can improve upon it.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
First of all @RoronoaTREY15 throw this is the guide section! This is good stuff!

I read all of it, but I realised, I learned all of it by playing :p. I learned I should really play defensive when the sniper is still around, and I should try to force the sniper out it's 'safe zone' as soon as possible. I'm actually maining this weapon atm. Trying to learn more and more about it.

But there's one thing that's totally different with how you play, and that's the gear set-up. I run: Squid Nordic (With horrible subs) Blue Sailor Suit (Same thing here) and :shoes_slo002: with 2 :ability_inksaversub:. I like to spam my Splat bombs wherever my opponents may be. Because of:ability_bombrange: combined :ability_inksaversub: I can just spam them over the map. If I still have :ability_comeback: It just becomes dumb.

About challenging chargers. It becomes really easy with :ability_bombrange: lol. I played SZ Moray with the Luna. And I got so many kill by just throwing a bomb on their perch and just see it explode when they're peeking in their scope.
I want to ask how many shots can u get after a thrown sub? I can get 18 shots off. This will come in handy in a later part, because it allows you to fight short and mid range weapons by using traps and bait.

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
I do not actually know, but more then enough :P. Also the trap/bait is way easier to do with :ability_bombrange:

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
I do not actually know, but more then enough :p. Also the trap/bait is way easier to do with :ability_bombrange:
I do not actually know, but more then enough :p. Also the trap/bait is way easier to do with :ability_bombrange:
It would recommend going in the "test" mode and just testing how many shots you can get out after a :splatbomb: (without submerging in ink). I have found that I can get more shots out using :ability_inksavermain:instead of adding more :ability_inksaversub:. I would also ask you this, how does :ability_bombrange: help you fight against the natural rivals of the :wst_shot_expshort00:? these narutal rivals are the :wst_roller_compact00:, all :wst_roller_heavy00:, and the :wst_shot_normal01:. I didn't want to touch this part yet, but I belive that the weapons I mentioned can go 50 50 vs the Neo :wst_shot_expshort00: and everytime one is battled, you should be using every tool possible. This includes dropping a:splatbomb: slightly to his right, and immediately swimming up to shoot at his left. I believe that if you are throwing a :splatbomb: at its maximum using a :ability_bombrange:, then it will make you unable to get in on the :wst_shot_normal01: or :wst_roller_heavy00:'s because they will most likely swim backwards and zone you out. The :wst_roller_compact00: will most likely do the same or start pelting you with :bombrushburstbomb:.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
Part 3: Splatlings... thy Predator

Yeah.... this is your problem right here. It isn't that you can't kill them, and it isn't that they will always kill you.... but start trembling.
You know how I just got done telling you to throw a :splatbomb: at :wst_charge_longscp01:', :wst_charge_quick00:, abd every other charger? Why was that? that is because they are forced to stand idle as they fire their shot. This forced them to move towards you (what you want) or away from you (which you also want so long as they aren't retreating up a hill). Their only other option was trade with you.
Now tell me, why doesn't that work against splatlings? can you say moving shots + :ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:.
Let us just say you dodge the battlefield, bob and weave, and finally reach him without dying and you have ammo left!!! Say hello to :bubbler: or :kraken:.

The problem is that no one wants the job of killing the Splatling, and as a result he is usually sitting back with his special (ecspecially at the Bridge, the mall, or Triggerfish). So are you supposed to retreat? the answer is most definitly no, but you are going to have to force a special out, and then go after him relentleslly enough so that a teammate can kill him after you have pressured him (yep, you are the pawn).

I need to remind you that you are going to lose more often than you will win in this mathup ecspecially when your team is behind. If your team is in the lead then you will have the chance to flank him when he gets too close, or spam :bombrush: at him if he is trying to get in Throw them about three to four squids in front of him instead of actually at him (make sure that you account for how much run speed he has, because you do not want him to get close enough that he can shoot you , but you can't swim, jump and two shot him.)

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
I would also ask you this, how does :ability_bombrange: help you fight against the natural rivals of the :wst_shot_expshort00:
It doesn't. I just try to stay away from them. And when needed I just throw a Bomb to the left and shoot from the right. I just like it because I can harass people from great distances and :bombrush:becomes dumb.

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
It doesn't. I just try to stay away from them. And when needed I just throw a Bomb to the left and shoot from the right. I just like it because I can harass people from great distances and :bombrush:becomes dumb.
I believe that is defiantly a good strategy on stages like the bridge and mahi, but you definately want to make sure you can charge into the fray at any second.

Last edited:

Hikaru54

Pro Squid
NNID
Dillator
what is your exact gear you wear?

i play a similar style this is the gear i use

I don't know if you were talking to me but I'll still react because why not :p.

I like the :ability_comeback::ability_swimspeed::ability_quickrespawn: combo.

:ability_comeback:Gives you a nice boost for 20 seconds whenever you get splatted. Why this is so helpful is because when you pair it with a suicidal weapon (AKA getting a lot of trades and kamikaze attacks) you'll get the boosts super often.
:ability_swimspeed: Is universally good. And helps to get back faster into the fray. Which fits Luna really well because your job (most of the time) is to be there often and be a nuisance to the enemy team.
:ability_quickrespawn:Let's trades almost always be in your favor. Which is handy because this weapon will trade a lot. This also helps with being the nuisance of the enemy team.

Most players however just run as much :ability_quickrespawn: as they can with :ability_stealthjump:and sometimes :ability_haunt:. (I do not really like this but it works so you should give it a try)

:ability_quickrespawn: Already explained. Fast respawn, be a nuisance blah blah.
:ability_stealthjump:Does what :ability_comeback:+:ability_swimspeed:does, but better. The only downsides :ability_stealthjump: has over the :ability_comeback:+:ability_swimspeed: combo is not having any *huge* mobility boosts. So you will be pretty slow when you use this over :ability_comeback:+:ability_swimspeed: (I assume you stack 4/5 mains of :ability_quickrespawn: with :ability_stealthjump:and/or:ability_haunt: respectively) and you can't stealth jump after a wipe (your entire team is splatted at the same time) whilst :ability_comeback:+:ability_swimspeed: still gives you insane boosts to get back faster.
Why :ability_haunt: is good on super quick respawn Luna is because whenever you **NOT** trade everyone will be alerted about it. Which is super important because you should always be trading instead of getting splatted. (It also makes you a mini :echolocator: if you die a lot, although this isn't the best strategy it's certainly helpful)

And it's a really balanced you're running right now, it has a bit of everything so that's nice. I mostly go for 1 to 3 stat(s) but I would say it's a good build

Well that's about it... Hope you were talking to me lol :p

Last edited:

RoronoaTREY15

Full Squid
NNID
RoronoaTREY15
I

I really like your gear, and it's not surprising our styles are similar. I'll show u mine when I get home. My focus is more on ink saving, and I don't have any resistance. Do u have discord by any chance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom