• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Maintaining my ranks is hard!

NNID
ALazarte
I need some advice in maintaining my rank in those ranked battles. There was one time I was A+ rank until the constant crap I had to deal with. Connect errors, lack of teammate help, and sometimes failure of focusing on the objectives screwed me over all the way to B rank. I'm now A - Rank and since the update I want to at least get to S rank. Any advice to give to me?

(BTW I play with no motion controls. Yeah I'm part of the 20% of the players that don't use motion aiming)

JazzCaht

Inkling
NNID
Pearl-Knight
My best advice is that you find a squad to play with, so that way you know you won't end up with poopy teammates. The biggest issue with that is if someone is an S rank in you squad, you can end up playing a tryhard S+ squad and get rekt by the metagame. If that does happens, I reccomend you play support to your best ability, and equip gear like haunt, special saver, quicker respawn, etc. But hey, I'm gonna guess it can't be too hard to find an A rank squad, right?

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
How does playing the game make them a tryhard?
Anyways, for most of my leveling I just did a squad battle with someone and since we're both not retarded we leveled up pretty quickly.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'm the opposite, it's very hard for me to shift ranks and when it does i'll usually get back to regular ol' A rank in the next few matches. Not that i really mind it though, i feel A is at my skill level. Still a little bit frustrating when i end up in a team with 3-4 chargers against a team who has none.

If i have any advice i'd say stop caring about rank, it can be a very salt-inducing affair sometimes but that's easier said than done. If you'll get better you'll get there.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
I feel you I'm a B and I've never ranked down.... but I was a B 73 and now I'm a B 12 ;m;
My brother though omg he was an A+ 98 a week ago and now he's a B+ 30! OTL Poor Trever!

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Don't 'maintain' your rank, go for a higher goal. If you want to maintain it then don't ever play ranked again and you'll preserve it.

Obviously this is not the answer your looking for though. But without knowing your playstyle I can only give general tips: 1) Don't experiment with new weapons in Ranked(for obvious reasons), 2) Play your favourite mode. If you like Splat Zones the most for example, wait until that is in rotation and play it. 3) Last but not definitely not least, help your team as much as possible. A team-based game requires teamwork. Don't play with a cavalier attitude and expect to win all by yourself. This by no means means that you can't single-handedly turn the tides, but I should caution that it is not very often you could accomplish that.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Maintaining rank is easy, just don't play :)

But seriously, I'd recommend taking rank less seriously - it goes up, it goes down. The more you play, and the more experience you have of what works and what doesn't, and so the better informed your in-game strategic choices are, the better you'll tend to do. But developing that kind of understanding takes time, especially given the multitude of maps and gamemodes, so just keep playing, and be relaxed about the fact that, since you're probably better on some maps/modes than others, your rank may oscillate wildly in the process. If you do the opposite and - for fear of deranking - play less frequently, and only on those maps/gamemodes that you're good at, then there will be big gaps in your understanding of the game, which you won't be able to patch without sacrificing some rank points.

NNID
ALazarte
I figured you guys would say to stop playing if I were to "maintain" rank. lol
Maybe I should clarify myself and say that I would like to stabilize my rank as well as find steady ways to increase my rank. (Update: I'm now at low A rank!)

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
I've been bouncing between C and C+.
Can't seem to get past C+.
*shrugs* I'm okay with that though haha. I play Ranked not for the rank but because I think Tower Control and Splat Zones is really fun. It's a nice change from Turf Wars every now and again. x)

The ΩS

Retired
NNID
Renwin
I would say play ranked once every rotation or day since it'll keep your streak. Another guy mentioned do two out of three. If you're failing twice, don't try again until next rotation/day. If you're winning twice, same thing. You'll climb slower, but you won't get too stressful nor prideful enough to go on a losing streak. I lost twice yesterday after getting to B+ (A's and A+'s; dat matchmaking) and oh boy did I rage. However, if I kept going, I was surely going to lose rank for sure. And coming from some one with analog controls, don't do rotations with charger-heavy areas (SSR, Port, Moray Towers, etc.). Unless you group them as a team, it's just free rank for the other team regardless of mode being selected. Others may argue that chargers isn't too problematic, but every charger I face on their team wasn't exactly missing their mark too much.

_clementine

Inkster Jr.
I would say play ranked once every rotation or day since it'll keep your streak. Another guy mentioned do two out of three. If you're failing twice, don't try again until next rotation/day. If you're winning twice, same thing. You'll climb slower, but you won't get too stressful nor prideful enough to go on a losing streak.
This is really good advice. It kind of relates to what I was going to say: if you've lost several matches in a row and you start to feel the salt building up inside of you, stop playing Ranked for a while (Whether that's until the maps switch up or until you feel better.) Maybe let out your anger in Turf Wars, although if you lose a lot there, that can also make you even more salty. The worst thing to do is keep playing during a bad losing streak, because it just compounds and gets worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom