Making Damage-Up Actually Viable?

Blobface

Inkster Jr.
NNID
everyone1
Also, wouldn't any weapon that can hit someone and cover the ground at their feet also get it's shots to kill decreased? Damage up can make a weapon do 99.9 damage in one less shot than it's given number, and even with ink resistance I'm pretty sure you'd take 0.1 damage from enemy ink.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Also, wouldn't any weapon that can hit someone and cover the ground at their feet also get it's shots to kill decreased? Damage up can make a weapon do 99.9 damage in one less shot than it's given number, and even with ink resistance I'm pretty sure you'd take 0.1 damage from enemy ink.
I think someone said that the "standing on ink" damage has a cap, but I can't remember what it is

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
This is purely anecdotal, so take it with a grain of salt. I always run one damage up primary when I use a jet squelcher on Moray. The JS covers the entire middle and both ramps from the main sniping area and I use it to cut off approaching enemies or to add cover fire for my team. When I'm constantly covering the area the opponents are always standing in my ink and taking some damage. This has allowed me to get 3 hit kills rather consistently on that map. Of course, this is pretty niche, but it makes me think that getting any weapon up to 99.9 damage with their penultimate shot could be very useful.

Willba

Inkling
NNID
will.i.am
Can it increase a rollers range? Anyway I use the Dynamo roller so how many damage ups on my gear would be recommended?

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
Can it increase a rollers range? Anyway I use the Dynamo roller so how many damage ups on my gear would be recommended?
When Rollers use the ink fling, the farther away the opponent is, the less damage the ink fling does. There is RNG factored into the damage formula. You could hit an opponent twice from the exact same position and they will take slightly different damage each time, sometimes just short of a 1HKO if they're outside the killing range. Damage Up basically increases the 1HKO range of a roller's ink flick and turns those 84%s into over 100%s. Its most useful on the Dynamo and Carbon Rollers.
As with the dynamo, I run one damage up and a lot of ink saver main/ink recovery up. You can choose whether to sacrifice power or ink efficency, buy Damage Up is a great ability for the dynamo.

D

Deleted Member

As with the dynamo, I run one damage up and a lot of ink saver main/ink recovery up. You can choose whether to sacrifice power or ink efficency, buy Damage Up is a great ability for the dynamo.
Why not run both?

x3/x4 Damage Up, x2/x1 Ink Saver Main and Ink Resistance Up

D

Deleted Member

That's what I usually run, but with more Ink Saver than Damage Up simply to cover turf better.
Well, the Echolocator serves as an instant ink refill for the Dynamo Roller, and inks like crazy. I could see Ink Saver Main taking priority on the Gold Dynamo due to not having an instant ink refill (Inkstrike leaves you vulnerable), and Splat Bombs.

Noise Tank

Full Squid
Where is the testing the proves you can't reduce TTK with damage up?

In my personal testing I was able to get a good variety of weapons to kill in 1 less shot/swipe.
only weapons that you could make the case for are chargers making uncharged shots 2hkos vs 3hkos. Brushes still require the same amount of hits, but make 2 swipe kills with the octobrush, for example, more frequent.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Damage Up also works for Grenadier-type players who abuse their Splat Bombs, Suctions, and Burst Bombs, since it makes their splash more painful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom