Map Balancing: Inflatable Barriers

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
As I'm sure you have all seen, there are certain types of walls that are un-inkable. Glass, grates, and inflatble barriers. Though there is something odd about the barriers... The same ones are used in almost every map, and cycle through various colors. Instead of being parts of the map, they seem to be placed with careful thought.

Adjusting maps is not easy, as devs would have to go back to the map in a computer and alter the actual geometry of said map. These barriers, however, look very useful for quickly plopping onto a map and changing how the flow of battle is determined. For example, on Saltspray Rig, you have a large barrier in the dead center of the map, next to the elevators, to prevent teams going up the ramps to see each other immediately.

My thoughts are these barriers are that they will be used to easily change map flow and test changes without the long process of changing the map entirely. Since we have to connect to Splatoon's servers to play online, this means tweaks to maps can stay server-side without forcing an update to all consoles, similar to how Epic handled map tweaking in Gears of War. Server side updates are quite easy as only the servers need to change, and does not require players to all have a certain firmware to play. However the downside to having server side updates is playing offline, as maps that are not connected through the servers will stay the same until another patch is pushed onto everyone's systems.

Thoughts?

Edit: Link to said barriers since mobile is dumb and won't let me paste pics.

http://www.leviathyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/1431175473-splatoon-demo-rig-fly-711x400.jpg

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
If you watch the little we have from Tower Control footage on Blackbelly Skatepark it's possible to notice some of these barriers are removed so the tower can pass through certain sections of the map, I believe they are indeed placed to be easily removed from (or added to) the map if there is a mode that requires it, without changing the basic layout.

It could be used to change the maps easily after release too, if this is or not the plan we can only see after release.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
If you watch the little we have from Tower Control footage on Blackbelly Skatepark it's possible to notice some of these barriers are removed so the tower can pass through certain sections of the map, I believe they are indeed placed to be easily removed from (or added to) the map if there is a mode that requires it, without changing the basic layout.

It could be used to change the maps easily after release too, if this is or not the plan we can only see after release.
Nice attention to detail!

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
Huh, this also gave me the thought of an Ink Barrier sub weapon. That would be pretty cool if handled right.

Infinity343018

Senior Squid
Another thing to realize about the barriers is that they are used in Octo Valley as a way to make the multiplayer stages more linear and level like instead of arena like. (Urchin Underpass, Kelp Dome, Blackbelly Skatepark are a few maps I've seen with different placement of those barriers)

Last edited:

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Very interesting, I think the amount of effort they put into these maps is really nice. :)

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
Kinda makes you wonder if variations of these maps will be put into the selection. Think about how much Salt Spray Rig would change if the lower area was blocked off by something like these barriers. The results would be interesting.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I believe these grey boxes with the SquidForce/TurfWar symbol are also removable and change depending on the mode, there are some extras placed on the Walleye Warehouse map when playing Battle Dojo, and they are not there on Turf Wars.

The difference is that they can also be inked, unlike the inflatable obstacles.

61 - quHLdqd.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom