Map Rotation Lopsided?

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
Anyone else get stuck on one map for like the entirety of a map rotation?

I realize in 50% odds that I’m probably going to end up on one more than the other but I swear most of the time it’s not even close.

I don’t necessarily mind this because there aren’t any maps besides the skatepark that I don’t like, it’s just something I seem to notice. Like if I hated a bunch of stages my complaint would probably be born of the fact that I feel like it’s lopsided because they “always” put me on the maps I don’t like, but that isn’t it.

Two I’ve noticed are Mussleforge or Pumptrack. If either are in the rotation, forget about there even being another map, cuz I get stuck to those two seemingly every time.

If both were in the same rotation idk what would happen, my game would probably crash or I’d open a wormhole or something.

Nairu

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Nairukawa
Switch Friend Code
SW-5422-7654-7317
Uh, I think mussleforge and pumptrack were together on the turf rotation yesterday. This problem seems to happen to me too, but is sometimes weapon specific. (I.e. I never got to use my new dualies on Manta Maria yesterday)

※Zachary

Semi-Pro Squid
The way the maps work, I believe, are slightly based on your skill level. As you know, the game pairs you with teams that are typically a lower skill level than you. Therefore the team that your being paired with may have a higher chance to be placed on one map because higher or lower based skill levels are placed on the other map. The game also contains no way to determine a "fair" playing on a map. As it is half random and half based on the majority that your team has received.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The way the maps work, I believe, are slightly based on your skill level. As you know, the game pairs you with teams that are typically a lower skill level than you. Therefore the team that your being paired with may have a higher chance to be placed on one map because higher or lower based skill levels are placed on the other map. The game also contains no way to determine a "fair" playing on a map. As it is half random and half based on the majority that your team has received.
... I think you're giving Nintendo's programmers too much credit. That's a lot of extra coding when a simple and arbitrary 50/50 chance will suffice.

※Zachary

Semi-Pro Squid
... I think you're giving Nintendo's programmers too much credit. That's a lot of extra coding when a simple and arbitrary 50/50 chance will suffice.
That makes sense, however I take into account that the game has odd matchmaking. When I play Turf Wars with my competitive team they are always matched on the opposite team because their skill levels are too high to paired with me. (1/10 games they might be paired with me due to the fluctuation of higher and lower skill levels entering and leaving the lobby.) Also when we play Turf War, we typically play on the same map with a 1/10 exception. This is what leads me to believe that Nintendo has incorporated the previously mentioned "features."

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
That makes sense, however I take into account that the game has odd matchmaking. When I play Turf Wars with my competitive team they are always matched on the opposite team because their skill levels are too high to paired with me. (1/10 games they might be paired with me due to the fluctuation of higher and lower skill levels entering and leaving the lobby.) Also when we play Turf War, we typically play on the same map with a 1/10 exception. This is what leads me to believe that Nintendo has incorporated the previously mentioned "features."
And when I play with my competitive friends we're as likely to be put on the same team for match after match as we are to fight each other. And you're only talking about turf war at that. Correlation does not imply causation and not everyone has your experience, without some hard data there's nothing to be gained from claiming that stage selection is anything but random.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
The thing about 50/50 odds. It isn't that hard for it to give the illusion of it being lopsided within a small case study. If you're just doing 7 matches, that might just be some odd luck. Unless you've recorded like an entire 2 hours worth of data on multiple people and see how it compares. Getting a map repeated could simply be a matter of you just getting rotten luck with a coin flip. Totally possible, and possibly a total coincidence.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Probability is something that can be very difficult to understand at times. It is very likely that the stages are split 50/50 with no additional parameters.

Try this at home; flip a coin 50-100 times and record the results, or use a randomizer. I used a calculator to simulate this and ended with 29 tails and 21 heads. There were two different streaks of 6 tails in a row. You are just as likely to get the same result 4 times in a row as you are to get one then the other then the first then the other.

Jayy

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-2045-0142-7156
Waaaaait the game pairs me with teammates lower in skill than me? So when I go on a winning streak I either carry the team or get lucky with the teammates? And when I lose constantly it’s my fault and/or my teammates are THAT MUCH worse? God that’s depressing.

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
Waaaaait the game pairs me with teammates lower in skill than me? So when I go on a winning streak I either carry the team or get lucky with the teammates? And when I lose constantly it’s my fault and/or my teammates are THAT MUCH worse? God that’s depressing.
I think the game tries to pair players of equal skill, as there are many lobbies where I consistently play against one player that is better than everyone else.
However, there would be no way for the game to pair you with players of lower skill, as they would be paired with players of higher skill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom