Map Size / "BP" Thread

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
It's not based on player score, if you look at the results screen that shows how much of the map each team has covered at the end there are BP values corresponding to the percentages. You can look at different videos and see that those values result in a consistent BP total for each map

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
@Bottlecapn
This is legitimately interesting, but I gotta say I'm a bit confused here. Is the "total" BP value you have basically a sum of the scores from matches from E3/whatever, and then based on how high that number is you're drawing the size of the map from it (since points are basically a point-based measure of surface area)?

If so then one way this could be severely flawed is that, as you mentioned, spraying over enemy ink adds to the point count. Because of this you could theorycraft that in a smaller stage/stage with more hotly contested chokepoints you may be getting a high amount of points based solely on the fact that there's a lot more back-and-forth gameplay. Like say, you might be covering the same area 10 times over in such a stage as opposed to 5 times over in a larger map (these are just pretend values but I hope you understand).

Let's figure this out, because I like this and want to do something involving maps when the game releases!

Larger maps typically but maps with good "lanes" are also great. keep in mind a sniper is not always in a crows nest looking for people to pick off. anything that gives you a clear shot while still distancing you from the person is great for a sniper-like weapon.
Yes. I've figured out the ratio of how much BP : 1% on the results screen and multiplied the result by 100. Just for added safety, I did them on several gameplay videos and averaged the numbers together. The number of BP does relate directly to the surface area of the map.

I understand what you've said there, and I see what you mean. That is true, and thus there is no *exact* way to calculate how much points you could be getting, because spraying over enemy ink also counts. So it really depends on a bunch of other things, like your weapon, teammates weapons, enemy weapons, your skill level, how much ink your teammates are inking before you can... That's why I said in parentheses at the end of the original post at the top:

"(although finding the calculations for this would prove to be extremely difficult due to re-inking enemy territory also counting towards BP, so it's up to you to estimate how much that may be)."

Unfortunately, there's not much further I can do unless I could average the amount of BP a normal player gains when playing on a specific map, but again that number is also flawed due to the aforementioned reasons above.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
It's not based on player score, if you look at the results screen that shows how much of the map each team has covered at the end there are BP values corresponding to the percentages. You can look at different videos and see that those values result in a consistent BP total for each map
Oooof I never even saw it there, thanks.

edit: Actually that isn't even accurate. You can go to any of the E3 videos for example and watch three matches on Urchin Underpass and get 3 different totals. I got 1868p as a total one time, and the very next match is 1612p. I mean 200p is the difference from an entire size ranking on this pre-game ranking, so that's pretty significant...

it's probably because they are not covering the entirety of the stage in ink, so it'll always be different points until we can do something like Bottlecapn says and measure for ourselves. The best way to do this is work together obv and split the stage using non-inkable surfaces. would still be a complete pain though.

Last edited:

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
edit: Actually that isn't even accurate. You can go to any of the E3 videos for example and watch three matches on Urchin Underpass and get 3 different totals. I got 1868p as a total one time, and the very next match is 1612p. I mean 200p is the difference from an entire size ranking on this pre-game ranking, so that's pretty significant...

it's probably because they are not covering the entirety of the stage in ink, so it'll always be different points until we can do something like Bottlecapn says and measure for ourselves. The best way to do this is work together obv and split the stage using non-inkable surfaces. would still be a complete pain though.
I believe you're mistaken. I've already calculated the total BP by finding the missing percentage. You don't look at the values at the bottom and take them face value, you set up a proportion to find what value correlates to 100% of the map inked, as such:

(these are fractions)
v
52.5% 100%
--------- = ---------
808 x

52.5% is the percentage of the map that is equivalent to 808 BP. By cross multiplying you can find the missing value, x.

52.5x = 80800

Divide by 80800 by 52.5 and you get the about the amount of BP on Blackbelly Skatepark. However i think I messed up my calculations in the OP, because the calculator closed itself and I lost track of numbers for Blackbelly.

Last edited:

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I believe you're mistaken. I've already calculated the total BP by finding the missing percentage. You don't look at the values at the bottom and take them face value, you set up a proportion to find what value correlates to 100% of the map inked, as such:

(these are fractions)
v
52.5% 100%
--------- = ---------
808 x

52.5% is the percentage of the map that is equivalent to 808 BP. By cross multiplying you can find the missing value, x.

52.5x = 80800

Divide by 80800 by 52.5 and you get the about the amount of BP on Blackbelly Skatepark. However i think I messed up my calculations in the OP, because the calculator closed itself and I lost track of numbers for Blackbelly.
Thanks! I guess I just needed the process of getting the numbers explained.

Setu

Sorry but urchin underpass surely isn't the biggest, and Blackbelly Skatepark isn't the smallest. Idk where this data was collected lol

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Sorry but urchin underpass surely isn't the biggest, and Blackbelly Skatepark isn't the smallest. Idk where this data was collected lol
....yes, they are. Read the entire original top post again, before drawing such an irrational conclusion.

If you're going by minimap size, you can CLEARLY TELL Blackbelly Skatepark is the biggest. Urchin Underpass SEEMS small because of it's central area's walls, but it is a very long map and the bases are very open areas.

Please refrain from making posts like this. It's rather rude.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
edit: disregard I'm dumb
The proportion shiz is right though so that's good, gg everyone go home nothing to see HERE
I'll leave this in case anyone wants to see it though.

yeahh on second look even those proportions are RIGHT I'M AN IDTIO EDITEDASDSADAS

Let's use this video here. Same map many times so it's easy to test over and over:
THIS is how it should be getting set up, right?
Code:
Known BP              Percentage BP covers
----------------   =  -------------------------
Unknown Total BP      Total Map Percentage (100)
We're solving for the Unknown Total BP, as you've said.

At 4:28 total BP = 2103
@ 8:12 = 2104
@ 14:18 = 2101
@ 18:00 = 2105
@ 24:46 = 2105
@ 28:29 = 2105

so basically everything is gooderino and neato. Super swell. Fabulous. Suuuuuper

Last edited:

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
edit: disregard I'm dumb
The proportion shiz is right though so that's good, gg everyone go home nothing to see HERE

THIS is how it should be getting set up, right?
Code:
Known BP              Percentage BP covers
----------------   =  -------------------------
Unknown Total BP      Total Map Percentage (100)
We're solving for the Unknown Total BP, as you've said.

so basically everything is gooderino and neato. Super swell. Fabulous. Suuuuuper
Either method of setting up the proportion is fine, they're both correct. Even though technically speaking math teachers tell you to do it the way you've done it, I think it makes more methodical sense to me the way I did it. But yeah, that's right.

I am gooderino! Do I get a cookie?

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Cool, thanks for looking into that :D I thought maybe it would give more BP/special meter to motivate people to reclaim turf from the enemy team
Late reply, but surely the motivation to reclaim turf lies in the fact it raises your BP and simultaneously lowers the enemy's?

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Late reply, but surely the motivation to reclaim turf lies in the fact it raises your BP and simultaneously lowers the enemy's?
Indeed, so I thought maybe it would reward you double toward your personal score since reclaiming is twice as valuable towards winning compared to unclaimed turf, at least on paper

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I took down a bunch of results screens from the Testfire (and averaged them, obviously) and I really think the true value of total points for the maps are 1600 (Walleye) and 1900 (Rig), respectively. The game just rounds numbers with the points and percentages so we won't ever get the correct number consistently.

Last edited:

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Either method of setting up the proportion is fine, they're both correct. Even though technically speaking math teachers tell you to do it the way you've done it, I think it makes more methodical sense to me the way I did it. But yeah, that's right.

I am gooderino! Do I get a cookie?
*gives cookie*

Excellent post, although could you explain the equation in lamist terms for us "not so good at math inklings".

..I'm decent at math but I am having trouble following the equations =\

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
At the end of the match Judd gives you the results. This includes a percentage for each side as well as the point conversion. However if you add together the percents you'll notice it doesn't reach 100% since the ground is hardly ever fully inked. To find the remaining percent and total points, Bottlecapn set up a proportion that would allow him to find the missing value, like this:

Code:
Known points             Known Percentage
--------------------  =  -------------------------
Unknown total points     Total Map Percentage (100)
So then Bottlecapn just took the values from the Judd screen, plugged them in and solved for the unknown (proportions you just cross multiply and then solve the equation).

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Blackbelly Skatepark: 1530
Walleye Warehouse: 1600
Saltspray Rig: 1900
Arowana Mall: 2020
Urchin Underpass: 2100

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom