Map striking in competitive play

NNID
Danatom1c
I was thinking about all the maps in Splatoon, and I thought.....
Wouldn't it be really interesting to have Starter stages and Counterpicks like in Smash Bros?
It would give the competitive scene a lot more depth, as squads could practice strategies on stages and bring them to a competitive match. So I now propose the starters and counter picks as:

Starters : Arowana Mall, Blackbelly Skatepark, Saltspray Rig, Urchin Underpass, Walleye Warehouse, Port Mackerel, Kelp Dome, Bluefin Depot

Counter-Picks: Moray Towers, Camp Triggerfish, Flounder Heights, Hammerhead Bridge, Museum d'Alfonsino, Mahi-Mahi Resort, Piranha Pit, Ancho-V Games

The process would work the same as Smash Bros.

Silver

Speedrunning Inkling
NNID
MHFsilver
It's an interesting idea and the Inkstorm tournaments had something similar to this. Teams were given a list of maps and modes and a set amount of bans and they were allowed to ban X amount of map and mode combos. However the way most tournaments are run right now, map and mode lists are provided by the people running the tournaments as it's easier to do and takes less time. Inkstorm had around 15-25 minutes between rounds that were purely the ban phase.

dubious

Inkster Jr.
NNID
hyomin
Something like Splatoon would benefit more just from having the TOs pick the stages beforehand, if only because the majority don't face the issue that most Smash stages do (having hazards that directly interfere and possibly kill players).

GoldWatson

Full Squid
NNID
floandgold
I agree with @dubious here. I do think that it would be a good idea to try and make another way to choose maps that are used for tournament matches.

seakingtheonixpected

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kathrynmc92
It's an interesting idea, but I feel like any tournament that wants to be taken seriously needs to outright ban Saltspray Rig, considering the massive advantage being on the west side has for E-Liters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom