Maps with Gimmicks (concept ramble)

NormalBear

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NormalB3ar
So being on an obvious Splatoon kick and have obsessed over it, I took a bit too much time thinking about possibilities on maps having a less static type of deal, this being "gimmicks". To better illustrate I have thought up prototype things for this thought experiment so I am not just saying "what if a map like...moved?"

"High Tide Harbor" aka the water hazard map: Let's imagine a harbor/dock area that's always overcast and a rough waters type of setting. Another metal and raised platform type of area but here's the kicker, every so often water with the tide rises and lowers. But when it comes up, it doesn't flood the map that would be too ridiculous for any splatoon game. what I picture is certain walkways, being indicated as red grates get sunk under barely a foot of water. Being that when tide is low, you have different shortcuts to take around the map, when it rises, those shortcuts are like walking in an enemy's ink where the water is ankle-deep and you chug along. So it would be more straight forward and not so intrusive. The other part of this water flow deal is what to hide behind. Buoys and boats bob in the water, so when the tide is up more things to hide behind, when low, get ready to be sniped.

"FlatFish Factory" aka the interactable map: Simply it's a factory level but this one is a hectic one full of boxes on cranes and conveyor belts. (the belts would not be ink-able) the gimmick here is, there's a canister in the middle that you can shoot ink into. once the meter is full, lights and an alarm will sound and it will reverse the moving parts. the cranes will swing counter clockwise or visa versa and the belts will go the opposite direction. So you control how it goes. And to keep it from being something severely abused, once it changes the machine locks out into some sort of cool down phase.

I personally like to see maps do more, maybe if it's just during certain modes perhaps. Nothing major that would derail any gameplay moot or a boss hazard (I'm looking at you Sakurai) but I feel there's something that could work in the game and just add a bit more, even if that map will end up being picked less.

Sorry if this went on for too much, just wanted to get a point across. Yay or nay? Seems rational?

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
Nothing major that would derail any gameplay moot or a boss hazard (I'm looking at you Sakurai)
So you don't want Yellow Devil or Ridley to appear in the middle of the map and have to fight them?

I like your ideas. It makes me think of how levels in Tony Hawk change a bit and have some interactive parts. I'd like if they added some things like this in Splatoon multiplayer.

NormalBear

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NormalB3ar
Yeah. well hm makes me think, with how Splatoon has time limits, maybe a map that once it hits the midpoint, something crazy changes the map layout, like a couple bridges get destroyed by an orca or whatever? :O

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I think it also could be possible to add some interactive things in multiplayer that have initially only been shown to exist in singleplayer, like the ink rails and inflatable sponges, or similar items.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Obviously certain maps will be picked more, but I really hope people don't try to 'ban' maps because of gimmicks. That would be so stupid.

Nukichuu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Nukikero
Obviously certain maps will be picked more, but I really hope people don't try to 'ban' maps because of gimmicks. That would be so stupid.
People would do that. Look at Smash: So many Stages and Items but 90% of the People only play 1v1 ,no Items and only Omega Stages. It's like most stuff in the Game exists for nothing and if Maps will have "Gimmicks" that change the Gameplay, People won't play on those Maps

Bonzi77

Huge Memer
NNID
Bonzi77
It depends on the gimmicks. Certain maps that have more subtle gimmicks such as Yoshi's Island or Fountain of Dreams are typically accepted despite having moving parts because the gimmicks don't unbalance the maps or make them luck based. Bear's first idea would be good because it would introduce new hazards to maps without really changing a whole lot, and in a predictable manner. Something splatoon pros would be less keen on would be gimmicks that did stuff like, say, shot random meteors out of the sky or caused more random, potentially unbalanced map changes or caused games to revolve around a mechanic that makes matches uninteresting.

Another type of gimmicks that would be bad would be a gimmick that forced a certain play style. People don't like poke floats, not because of any hazards or because of any weird gimmicks, but just because it constantly forces you to jump between different platforms and focus on platforming as much as fighting. Something like that would be a map where you had to be in squid form every thirty seconds or you got killed by a hazard, because it would force squid transformations potentially during major fights, which would be lame as hell.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I agree with @itisrag, the single player elements could possibly be great if used on multiplayer maps, like rails linking the spawn point to different areas of the map.

And actually thinking about it, we already have one gimmick on Saltspray Rig, the crane on the high area moves a platform that you can jump on, really small, but already something that moves/changes in the map.

NormalBear

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NormalB3ar
Another gimmick type of thing I've thought of, in a a similar vein of the looks of Electrodome from MK8 and Beep Block Skyway have a map that's like a dance club, as the music transitions walls slide. Not like every 10 seconds, just fittingly with the song. Or maybe the walls alternate from being there then disappearing.

michael

Inkling
I think that it would be cool if there was a level that took place on a boat and the ink moved around. The boat may be tilted a little more on the side and therefore the ink moves away from the higher ground. Which I think would be interesting.

hinata2000100

Inkster Jr.
I really want a stage with some kind of single-player element to it.

Like a sponge that can be used to get to higher ground. Or ink rails. SOMETHING, MAN. SOMETHING.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I really want a stage with some kind of single-player element to it.

Like a sponge that can be used to get to higher ground. Or ink rails. SOMETHING, MAN. SOMETHING.
I think it was confirmed a while back with interviews with developers that they wanted those mechanics to stand out as single player mechanics. As much as I would love them as well.

But with that said, yeah, I do want maps that stand out. Nothing that is way too annoying or disruptive to deal with it, but something to look out for.

Aegis

Senior Squid
NNID
ritzumii
I don't believe players choose the maps unless it's a private room. The maps alternate every few hours. I may be wrong but this is what I remember from the direct.

baronfel

Inkster Jr.
NNID
baronfel
I also want to see single player devices show up in some maps. No balloon fish though. (However the cleaners would be neat on a spot or 2.)

EDIT: Thanks Aegis, darn lingo gotta remember the new lingo X-X

Last edited:

Aegis

Senior Squid
NNID
ritzumii
I also want to see single player devices show up in some maps. No burst balloons though. (However the cleaners would be neat on a spot or 2.)
I believe what you referred to as Burst Balloons are called Balloon Fish.

Sharkpuncher

Inkling
Personally, I think it would be really interesting to have a map where certain areas only became accessible during the last minute. Like, a big hole in the middle of the map that has a paintable platform fall into it at the last minute, or something like that. Other cool things might include a map over the ocean where the water level slowly rises throughout the entirety of the game, which would alter or get rid of pathways as well as provide new ones, and maybe a map with permanent beacons that the teams could use to superjump to otherwise inaccessible locations.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
"High Tide Harbor" ... what I picture is certain walkways, being indicated as red grates get sunk under barely a foot of water. Being that when tide is low, you have different shortcuts to take around the map, when it rises, those shortcuts are like walking in an enemy's ink where the water is ankle-deep and you chug along.
Not only that, but the water would wash away all the previous ink set down in the area, so that whole area would be unclaimed again. It's a neat idea imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom