• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Master Blaster. Which Blaster Do You Use And Why?

Which Blaster Do You Use?

• Total voters

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
I'm wondering which blaster people are using and why?

I've been bouncing between all of them. Right now, I'm on a custom blaster kick as I try to find that balance between range and fire rate, but really I feel like an argument could be made for any of them.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I use custom blaster
The bubbler is okay for it, not the best for it but I like those point sensors. For default blaster, killer wail is very good for it since it helps make up for the blaster's lack of range. I don't like the disruptors for it, since I feel like that even if I do hit someone with it, I can't do much else. Rapid Blaster and Rapid Blaster deco lol, deco has a good special/sub combination, but the regular is pretty much the worst primary/sub/special combination in the game. Luna blaster has even worse range than the default, which was already horrible, but the Inkzooka helps out some, although it can take a long time to charge since the Luna takes forever to cover turf. Ink mines are pretty bad, though. Range blaster has the wall, which is considered one of the best subs, but the range is still horrible, so it's alright for the weapon, but better for things like the Heavy Splatling.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I use the Rapid Blaster Deco but only in Turf War and only to practice aiming/positioning/movement because it is so unforgiving. I run 3 dmg up mains to sometimes get a OHKO, but you have to give up a lot to do this. The sub is really nice and the special is great, so even if it isn't the best weapon (by far) it can still contribute to the team. I've seen people play ranked solo queue with the weapon all the way up to S, but it seems like a lot of work.

I also sometimes use the luna blaster if I'm feeling sneaky. It has great damage and burst radius as long as you are pretty close. And the inkzooka is obviously so good.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
I use custom blaster
The bubbler is okay for it, not the best for it but I like those point sensors. For default blaster, killer wail is very good for it since it helps make up for the blaster's lack of range. I don't like the disruptors for it, since I feel like that even if I do hit someone with it, I can't do much else. Rapid Blaster and Rapid Blaster deco lol, deco has a good special/sub combination, but the regular is pretty much the worst primary/sub/special combination in the game. Luna blaster has even worse range than the default, which was already horrible, but the Inkzooka helps out some, although it can take a long time to charge since the Luna takes forever to cover turf. Ink mines are pretty bad, though. Range blaster has the wall, which is considered one of the best subs, but the range is still horrible, so it's alright for the weapon, but better for things like the Heavy Splatling.
Disruptor is quite alright on the stock Blaster. It's basically a free kill if you're in optimal range, since people usually freak out when they get snared. They either try to run away or try to gun you down, both of which are stacked in your favor when they're snared and have debuffed ink usage/recovery. It also lets you harass your bad matchups like chargers if you're within a safe range to harass them. Even just tossing a Disruptor on them and running away is enough to support your team in most situations. Just don't get too greedy and try to approach a charger head-on with jukes.

If you're playing Rainmaker, stock Blaster basically lets you assassinate the carrier as long as you can get near them. Disruptors + Wail is a solid combo on RM, and the Blaster can approach from optimal ranges on most maps (I struggle with Skatepark Rainmaker, but then again most people don't seem to like that map/mode combo anyway).

Luna is the easiest to use by far since the AoE radius is very forgiving. It's a crutch weapon on Towers and is lacking otherwise on a lot of other maps unless you have good map control and flanks, but I enjoy using it anyway. The Inkzooka nerf hurt it since it's already pretty weak at building meter, and Ink Mine is just plain bad. Neo Luna's splat bombs should let it challenge (or at least drive back) its bad matchups like gals and Dynamos, at the very least, and should be able to create mixup opportunities when fighting around corners.

On a similar note, does anyone know of any Nico streamers who use the Blasters? I'd like to improve my Blaster game but no skilled Western streamers uses them consistently, and Nico has a wealth of good players to watch.

Last edited:

Rael

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rael303
Mostly Custom and Range. Custom just 'cause I don't really like Killer Wail and I think Bubbler is really helpful for this weapons, it gives you time to direct hit people that jump in your face or just super jump away.
I really like the idea behind Range Blaster even tho it's considered the weakest one (not counting Rapid :p ), and I actually enjoy playing it because it can safely challenge some things like Dynamos unlike Luna and regular Blaster thanks to the "range" and Splash Walls. Inkstrike also makes it the best point scorer of the trio in Turf Wars. Can't wait for Custom Range Blaster with Splat Bombs (good long range option) and Kraken (amazing close range option)!

Dingbat

Inkling
NNID
DicsGoods
Regular rapid blaster has been a solid weapon for me. It's more ink consumption friendly than the other blasters since ink mine only consumes about half of my ink tank if I need to lay one and the rapid blaster itself doesn't consume too much ink in the first place per shot. The rapid blaster is a weapon where going in with the mindset that you're not one-shotting an enemy and playing like a weaker rapid fire charger is probably the best idea for it.

It is a little forgiving if you miss a shot since you can still follow up with more shots afterward pretty quickly. It can't one shot like most of the other blasters can, but the higher rate of fire makes up for it enough that if your aim is solid enough you can still splat someone from a good distance before they get away, and if they try to challenge you head on assuming you're not at close range you'll likely pelt them with a direct hit which will finish them if you already hit them once with even an indirect shot. At most it'll take four shots to splat someone if they're all indirect shots, but these cases mostly happen to me when someone is too far from me to blast properly anyway.

The ink mine isn't the worst thing for the rapid blaster. Pair it after activating a bubbler when someone tries to ambush at close range either forces them to retreat to a distance where you can blast them with the main weapon or they stick around long enough to get splatted. Though usually if the situation requires an ink mine in the first place you're probably not at the ideal range or situation or you're just laying it as a trap.

The bubbler has saved me countless times or at the very least let me soak up would be splat shots, and with the rapid blaster's range the bubbler is a nasty surprise when one tries to approach to go in at close range. If I do get splatted after using the bubbler it's usually because I was trying to push forward into enemy turf or I was sorely outnumbered. The thing about the rapid blaster for me has been charge the bubbler asap before pushing into enemy turf otherwise an ambush could be fatal, so the gear I use prioritizes the constant charging and usage of bubblers.

The rapid blaster has a linear style and has long range comparable to a range blaster's range with a higher rate of fire, just weaker and has a smaller blast radius.I originally went into the rapid blaster with the intention of harassing chargers (Not including e-liters with their monstrous range), since the rapid blaster covered enough range to do so without the charge time compared to when I originally mained a charger myself. I tried to use the custom blaster since it too had a bubbler and even point sensors but the ink consumption of the main weapon after throwing a point sensor left me with not many shots to put into them, and usually the slow rate of fire got me killed before I ran out of ink anyway. It also couldn't reach chargers like I did with the rapid blaster.

Not sure what all the hate over the rapid blaster is since I usually place top two players in randomized teams most of the time. Ranked is easier to place high than turf wars since I don't have to cover a map and just have to go for objective points which splatting the enemy can be tremendously helpful. Turf wars is solid if I have a decent team that can cover turf for me while I harass the enemy team, though sneaking in turf coverage still isn't too hard to do, but then again I'm not used to being the main turf covering teammate in the first place...

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Not sure what all the hate over the rapid blaster is since I usually place top two players in randomized teams most of the time. Ranked is easier to place high than turf wars since I don't have to cover a map and just have to go for objective points which splatting the enemy can be tremendously helpful. Turf wars is solid if I have a decent team that can cover turf for me while I harass the enemy team, though sneaking in turf coverage still isn't too hard to do, but then again I'm not used to being the main turf covering teammate in the first place...
My opinion of the Rapid Blaster has changed a bit in the past couple weeks. You definitely can't play it like any of the other Blasters. I believe its AoE is quite small and thus prevents it from corner and ledge fighting to the same degree that the others can (correct me if I'm wrong). But it can lock down hallways with a constant stream of explody balls. So in that sense, it performs the role of suppressing fire that the other Blasters do, but with a different approach and in different situations.

It does shine on specific maps and gamemodes. It excels at defending the death hallway on Urchin Tower Control, for one. Its inaccuracy actually works in its favor since opponents on the tower only have two places from which to jump off: back or to the left.

I don't use it very often because I find landing a meatshot and hearing the direct hit squeak, only to not actually kill the opponent, rather bizarre. But I might sink some time into it in the future.

Last edited:

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
I'm a custom blaster user, it feels the most comfortable, but I will be testing the neo luna once that arrives. Bomb range and a blaster is awesome,

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
luna blaster. even on turf wars i can rack up 15 kills easy.

now in ranked thats a party. 25+ kills

with 15+ deaths xD

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I only use one Blaster, and that is my secondary, the Rapid Blaster Deco. This is just the perfect Blaster for me in every way and it's the only Shooter I use (my two mains being CR and EL3K). My history with this weapon goes something like this. Before I got the game was released I was watching a stream and I saw that Suction Bomb Rush existed for the first time, and I was all excited and I wanted to try out this weapon right away. Even when the Splash-o-Matic got released with the same sub/special weapon combination, I was still very interested in this weapon and why is was so underrated. When I got the game, I tried out the normal Blaster but I felt it didn't have enough range and was far too slow (even though it was mighty powerful). Once I unlocked the Rapid Blaster, I fell in love with the main weapon. It was faster, had more range, and even though it kills in two shots, I still found ways to get kills by making perfect shots both times. The problem was that I'm not very good with the sub and special weapon combination, at least not with this main weapon (I prefer it on the Inkbrush Nouveau). I'm alright with Inkmines but they just don't fit my grenadey playstyle and I've always had trouble with the Bubbler, whether it being other people's knockback not allowing me to hit them or not pulling it out in time. So, I put the normal aside and played up to Level 19 to unlock the Rapid Blaster Deco. And my initial excitement was all the worth it. Not only did it have the main weapon that I adore but the sub and special fit it perfectly. Suction Bombs galore + this weapon can be a monster when used in the right hands, and I'm trying to be those right hands. Also, it's a huge killer on grated stages like Kelp Dome and Hammerhead Bridge.

Last edited:

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
I use custom blaster
BOY! The bubbler is an amazing special for blasters. It is what saves your bum from people who get inside your danger zone. The danger zone for blasters is the space between the explosion and the blaster user. This is the space in which blaster users are the most vulnerable to death. This is because a blaster's range is not a line like a shooter, but a sphere. This means that heavy amounts of spacial mastery is required to use the blaster correctly. When the opposition closes into the danger zone, you best run away, that is if you are not cornered. If you did not have bubble, you would be dead. In essence, Bubbler is anything but bad for a blaster.

P.S. The blaster does not really have a lack of range, its effective distance is slightly above that of splattershot.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
I tend to use Both Rapid Blasters now a days. Trying to decide which one feels better. When i picked it up i treated it as a joke and see how far i'd get into Ranked with just the Rapid Blaster. And i made it to B+ and have been stuck in there ever since xD

Azza

Pro Squid
NNID
Barricade31
BOY! The bubbler is an amazing special for blasters. It is what saves your bum from people who get inside your danger zone. The danger zone for blasters is the space between the explosion and the blaster user. This is the space in which blaster users are the most vulnerable to death. This is because a blaster's range is not a line like a shooter, but a sphere. This means that heavy amounts of spacial mastery is required to use the blaster correctly. When the opposition closes into the danger zone, you best run away, that is if you are not cornered. If you did not have bubble, you would be dead. In essence, Bubbler is anything but bad for a blaster.

P.S. The blaster does not really have a lack of range, its effective distance is slightly above that of splattershot.
Which is why I'm waiting for the neo luna, I hate players up in my face and I guess those chargers / ranged weapons further away. Need to burst bomb them.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
Which is why I'm waiting for the neo luna, I hate players up in my face and I guess those chargers / ranged weapons further away. Need to burst bomb them.
Neo Luna has Splat Bombs, which will be great for herding people around corners and driving away threats you can't take outside your optimal range. But if there were a Blaster with Burst Bombs and Rush, I would be a very happy man.

That loadout covers a little too much of everything, I think. Then again, it's not like the .96 deco doesn't exist...

WesFX

Inkling
NNID
wesfx7
To me, the Blaster and Custom Blaster have the right balance of range and blast radius for random matches. A Bubbler is always good, but I love Disruptors; landing one on the Rainmaker carrier is too much fun.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I don't use blasters much, but I like the Range Blaster the best. The range allows you to stay safely out of the way of most opponents, allowing you to play defensively and splat foes easily. Ink Walls are a great tool to help you stay safe, and can be great for supporting the team. Ink Strikes are unremarkable, but the can help control the point in Ranked, even from afar. The fire rate may be bad, but is good enough to splat with solid aim, and (for some reason) rapidly tapping ZR to squid right after shooting skips some of the weapon's cooldown. My only complaints are it's mediocre ink efficiency and turf coverage (Ranked helps with the latter)

vtroid5

Full Squid
NNID
vtroid5
I can't help but think the neo luna is going to be a game changer here. I do really like the luna and pairing it with a splat bomb will hopefully help some of its shortcomings.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
the rapid blaster has more range than the range blaster ( yes ) and fires faster than the luna. Although it can't one shot opponents, you can stack damage to increase likelyhood of two shot kills. and even a three shot kill will kill faster than a range blaster's two shot kill AND at more range. not to mention stacking damage will take the direct hit damage from 80 to 99.9 which will result in a splat if your enemy has touched even a spec of your turf on the way to rush you down.

the vanilla rb is for training imo. the bubbler saves you from certain death and the mines teach you about some defensive maneuvers. Recently I've taken a second look at the deco and realized how incredibly useful the suction bombs are. They can be used for defense as well as offense. throwing a succ bomb near your feet you are able to help mitigate some of your "danger zone" problems. The deco variant is able to capitalize off of this and extends to a more aggressive playstyle similar to those of the other blasters, while still retaining superior range and firerate.

As I see it the blasters increase in skill cap as they increase in viability

the luna and range blaster are like the juniors, easy to use but not very rewarding. your choice is whether you want range or firerate.

The nilla blaster is like the tentatek. It's overall well rounded but doesn't excell anywhere.

the rapid blasters are like the forge. they benefit greatly from range and have deceptively good kill potential, while they are outshined by the other blasters in early skill levels the rb is able to rise to a level not possible of the other blasters.

I estimate the rbpro will require immense technical skill and map awareness. As seekers are hardly a way to control your danger zone, which will be ridiculously huge.

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
the rapid blaster has more range than the range blaster ( yes ) and fires faster than the luna. Although it can't one shot opponents, you can stack damage to increase likelyhood of two shot kills. and even a three shot kill will kill faster than a range blaster's two shot kill AND at more range. not to mention stacking damage will take the direct hit damage from 80 to 99.9 which will result in a splat if your enemy has touched even a spec of your turf on the way to rush you down.

the vanilla rb is for training imo. the bubbler saves you from certain death and the mines teach you about some defensive maneuvers. Recently I've taken a second look at the deco and realized how incredibly useful the suction bombs are. They can be used for defense as well as offense. throwing a succ bomb near your feet you are able to help mitigate some of your "danger zone" problems. The deco variant is able to capitalize off of this and extends to a more aggressive playstyle similar to those of the other blasters, while still retaining superior range and firerate.

As I see it the blasters increase in skill cap as they increase in viability

the luna and range blaster are like the juniors, easy to use but not very rewarding. your choice is whether you want range or firerate.

The nilla blaster is like the tentatek. It's overall well rounded but doesn't excell anywhere.

the rapid blasters are like the forge. they benefit greatly from range and have deceptively good kill potential, while they are outshined by the other blasters in early skill levels the rb is able to rise to a level not possible of the other blasters.

I estimate the rbpro will require immense technical skill and map awareness. As seekers are hardly a way to control your danger zone, which will be ridiculously huge.
Whether it fits my style or not is still to be determined, obviously. It's stats just stick out with me and I love Seekers but every weapon that has them is one I don't like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom