• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Master Blaster. Which Blaster Do You Use And Why?

Which Blaster Do You Use?

• Total voters

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
Whether it fits my style or not is still to be determined, obviously. It's stats just stick out with me and I love Seekers but every weapon that has them is one I don't like.
what about the stats appeal to you? its got less firerate than the rapid, and a longer range which will only add to the problems of the rapid. It'd be OK if it had splat bombs. But seekers are too unreliable as close range weapons. or if it had kraken instead of inzooka, that'd help it in the close range department. But considering this weapon has NO means of close range combat, aside from direct hits (where accuracy is incredibly crucial because of the firerate debuff and the fact you need two shots.) I highly doubt it will be good at all. especially with the firerate debuff and no damage or aoe buff.

I also heard it will have terrible ink consumption 7 seconds of firing iirc

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I don't believe that the rapid blaster has a "deceptively good kill potential". I believe it is the opposite way around, since it takes 2 direct hits to kill and 3+ non direct hits, and the shots can easily be confused with other blasters. As I've said before, when I play as blaster or a medium range weapon in general, I can just go right through the laughable damage. It has such aa high ttk and such a slow fire rate for it that I don't see it going anywhere. Weapons of the same range can splat them before, the splash damage is laughable, and they can even hit close range weapons up close.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
The problem with the Rapid Blaster is not just that it can't one-shot foes; it's that the damage isn't good enough to properly discourage foes from approaching. If you get tagged by an explosion from a regular, Range, or Luna Blaster, you're only one more blast away from being splatted; you might have enough time to rush forward past their explosion's minimum range, but a lot of the time, you don't (especially in the case of the Luna Blaster). With the Rapid Blaster, though, it's significantly easier to survive as you rush forward past their minimum range (which is also significantly longer than that of other blasters). And if you manage to close in on a Rapid Blaster user without getting tagged, you'll have an even better time of it than against other Blasters because you won't even have to worry about getting one-shotted by a lucky direct hit.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I don't believe that the rapid blaster has a "deceptively good kill potential". I believe it is the opposite way around, since it takes 2 direct hits to kill and 3+ non direct hits, and the shots can easily be confused with other blasters. As I've said before, when I play as blaster or a medium range weapon in general, I can just go right through the laughable damage. It has such aa high ttk and such a slow fire rate for it that I don't see it going anywhere. Weapons of the same range can splat them before, the splash damage is laughable, and they can even hit close range weapons up close.
The problem with the Rapid Blaster is not just that it can't one-shot foes; it's that the damage isn't good enough to properly discourage foes from approaching. If you get tagged by an explosion from a regular, Range, or Luna Blaster, you're only one more blast away from being splatted; you might have enough time to rush forward past their explosion's minimum range, but a lot of the time, you don't (especially in the case of the Luna Blaster). With the Rapid Blaster, though, it's significantly easier to survive as you rush forward past their minimum range (which is also significantly longer than that of other blasters). And if you manage to close in on a Rapid Blaster user without getting tagged, you'll have an even better time of it than against other Blasters because you won't even have to worry about getting one-shotted by a lucky direct hit.
That's why the Deco exists. Keep them at bay with Suction Bombs. Where the regular is concerned I'd say bait the approacher out by placing an Inkmine, but that's far less reliable.

Magix

Inkster Jr.
The Rapid Blaster is definitely not as bad as many people think. I've been playing all blasters a lot lately, and I figured that tonight was the time to try some Rapid Blaster Deco; because while I've played a little bit of the regular Rapid Blaster, the Deco had been left at probably <2000 points. And wow, it was an interesting and rewarding experience.

The Rapid Blaster (Deco) has weaknesses, yes, but come on, any weapon has weaknesses. More importantly, any weapon has strengths, and to make a weapon work, you focus your play around utilizing your strengths and protecting your weaknesses. The Rapid Blaster Deco is vulnerably in close combat, yes, but that just means you adjust your play style to make up for it. The suction bombs are great for zoning and should be used a lot, and a very simple way to keep your close quarters safe is to just keep an area of your own turf between yourself and your blasts, because that means enemies have to colour it before they can approach you. Sometimes they don't, and try to attack you anyway. Guess what? That means they took damage from the ink on the ground, and can now be killed by a single blast, provided you have damage up gear(and they don't stack def). And if you're not confident that you can stop an approaching enemy, you can easily take cover and jump away, which you should do in order to protect your special meter. Doing this can be very satisfying, seriously, one time a kraken was chasing me, so I juked him, and as he was turning around to get me, I super jumped away.

I've been playing a lot of Range Blaster lately, and I've felt like it's been great practice for playing at your max range and being defensive. I played Rapid Blaster Deco tonight because I thought it would be even better practice at that, but it was so much more. Basically, the weapon makes you better at zoning with bombs, using your range, playing defensively, being patient and being aware of what's going on. I knew the Rapid Blasters could work, but I did not expect to pick up a weapon I more or less haven't used before, play 3+ hours of solo ranked(at S) and manage a 10,0 vibe and have positive stats every single game(I think 7-1 and 10-2 were the best). It really isn't a bad weapon.

That being said, there are certainly game mode and map combinations I probably wouldn't use a Rapid Blaster for. Just like with other weapons. Although I will try, in time.

As for the topic, I can't cast a vote, because I really do enjoy all the blasters too much to call one a favourite. :)
Which one I play is determined by a lot of factors for every individual situation. Which mode it is, which map it is, what role and range does the team need if I'm squadding, what mood am I in? I simply love variation, so I'm very glad that I've practiced all the blasters, because they can offer such a big array of play styles(especially if you have multiple gear setups for different goals).
I will say though, that I'll pick Custom Blaster over Blaster for most situations. And I'm not so sure about the regular Rapid Blaster, because Luna Blaster is a better blaster with Ink Mine, Custom Blaster is a better blaster with Bubbler and Rapid Blaster Deco is a better rapid blaster. But if you really like the weapon+sub+special combination, good for you!

I know this post is already ridiculously long, but side note: Considering that the recent updates have been new weapons instead of Custom/Deco variations, and that we've seen a new Splatling and Slosher relatively recently, I'd say we might get Rapid Blaster Pro very soon. I'm hoping to see it this Friday night. :)

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
The Rapid Blaster is fine, you have to play it as a flanking weapon. Your team is taking the objective, the enemy team comes in to try and head them off and you clean up the damaged opponents. The Ink Mines and Bubbler support this playstyle very well. Block off an exit with a Mine, Bubbler in and give your teammates the push. The Rapid Blaster Deco is the more direct approach, it's great for narrow areas or maps with limited movement because you can hold down a small area so effectively with it. Suction Bombs, a threatening range on a two shot kill and a Bomb Rush to help push out, it's a dangerous weapon on the right map.

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
what about the stats appeal to you? its got less firerate than the rapid, and a longer range which will only add to the problems of the rapid. It'd be OK if it had splat bombs. But seekers are too unreliable as close range weapons. or if it had kraken instead of inzooka, that'd help it in the close range department. But considering this weapon has NO means of close range combat, aside from direct hits (where accuracy is incredibly crucial because of the firerate debuff and the fact you need two shots.) I highly doubt it will be good at all. especially with the firerate debuff and no damage or aoe buff.

I also heard it will have terrible ink consumption 7 seconds of firing iirc
I'm a defensive support player an I love more range plus the fire rate isn't a big deal since I'm really accurate from using the normal one. I like having the ability to wall people out and the sub do compliment this style and can do a lot more on particular maps the the Deco. I probably will end up switching between the two depending on the map. Linear maps, use Deco, broad maps use Pro. I just think it will allow me to use the Rapid Blaster more freely tbh.

The Rapid Blaster is fine, you have to play it as a flanking weapon. Your team is taking the objective, the enemy team comes in to try and head them off and you clean up the damaged opponents. The Ink Mines and Bubbler support this playstyle very well. Block off an exit with a Mine, Bubbler in and give your teammates the push. The Rapid Blaster Deco is the more direct approach, it's great for narrow areas or maps with limited movement because you can hold down a small area so effectively with it. Suction Bombs, a threatening range on a two shot kill and a Bomb Rush to help push out, it's a dangerous weapon on the right map.
That's very interesting as the Deco promotes more of a wall style rather then a flank one. It's really neat that the same weapon can be played in different ways to appeal to certain people.

Relados

Senior Squid
The Luna Blaster accents all the strengths of the blaster (hitting around terrain, killing stuff ridiculously quickly) while downplaying its flaws (fires more quickly than other blasters, range isn't too much of an issue when you can be incredibly mobile with it and have the Inkzooka for a special).

I'm excited for when they release the Luna Blaster Neo, I've got great equipment to bolster grenade throws and it will all but eliminate any problems with ranged opponents. It's going to be a shame to lose the Inkzooka though...

Smoothshake317

Pro Squid
the rapid blaster has more range than the range blaster ( yes ) and fires faster than the luna. Although it can't one shot opponents, you can stack damage to increase likelyhood of two shot kills. and even a three shot kill will kill faster than a range blaster's two shot kill AND at more range. not to mention stacking damage will take the direct hit damage from 80 to 99.9 which will result in a splat if your enemy has touched even a spec of your turf on the way to rush you down.

the vanilla rb is for training imo. the bubbler saves you from certain death and the mines teach you about some defensive maneuvers. Recently I've taken a second look at the deco and realized how incredibly useful the suction bombs are. They can be used for defense as well as offense. throwing a succ bomb near your feet you are able to help mitigate some of your "danger zone" problems. The deco variant is able to capitalize off of this and extends to a more aggressive playstyle similar to those of the other blasters, while still retaining superior range and firerate.

As I see it the blasters increase in skill cap as they increase in viability

the luna and range blaster are like the juniors, easy to use but not very rewarding. your choice is whether you want range or firerate.

The nilla blaster is like the tentatek. It's overall well rounded but doesn't excell anywhere.

the rapid blasters are like the forge. they benefit greatly from range and have deceptively good kill potential, while they are outshined by the other blasters in early skill levels the rb is able to rise to a level not possible of the other blasters.

I estimate the rbpro will require immense technical skill and map awareness. As seekers are hardly a way to control your danger zone, which will be ridiculously huge.
As a professional blaster user, I can say for a fact that you are over hyping the Rapid Blaster. The suction bomb does not mitigate close range problems nearly enough. The kill radius for the suction bomb is 1 line worth of range. Not bad, but it could be better to save this weapon in critical heat of combat. What really weakens suction bombs as a defensive tool is the long prime time for the explosion. While it only takes 2 seconds for the bomb to explode, IT TAKES A WHOLE 2 SECONDS TO EXPLODE! A lot can happen in two seconds combat wise. In 2 seconds, splash-o-matic has killed you 6 times over, literally. Not only that, by the time it has exploded, they would have moved out of the way and would still be moving towards you. Suctions only work as defense if your opponents are forced to move down a narrow passage to reach you.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
As a professional blaster user, I can say for a fact that you are over hyping the Rapid Blaster. The suction bomb does not mitigate close range problems nearly enough. The kill radius for the suction bomb is 1 line worth of range. Not bad, but it could be better to save this weapon in critical heat of combat. What really weakens suction bombs as a defensive tool is the long prime time for the explosion. While it only takes 2 seconds for the bomb to explode, IT TAKES A WHOLE 2 SECONDS TO EXPLODE! A lot can happen in two seconds combat wise. In 2 seconds, splash-o-matic has killed you 6 times over, literally. Not only that, by the time it has exploded, they would have moved out of the way and would still be moving towards you. Suctions only work as defense if your opponents are forced to move down a narrow passage to reach you.
Maybe I'm overhyping them
But theyre a good tool. And a lot of people will overestimate two seconds. Even if the splash kills me twice over it will take a good second or so for them to get to me. you either have to wait for the bomb to go off, or rush me down. If they wait then you have enough time to kill them with the rb.You can't just mark your grave with them. Yes the rb is susceptible to ambushes, and there's not much you can do to avoid them. But it has the tools to control an area and avoid ambushes. and usually wins out most situations aside from the real mvps, The .96's and sometimes forges. Snipers are 50-50 w/ this weapon imo. maybe 60-40 sniper advantage for the longer range ones.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
That's why the Deco exists. Keep them at bay with Suction Bombs. Where the regular is concerned I'd say bait the approacher out by placing an Inkmine, but that's far less reliable.
Splat bombs are better at keeping enemies at bay while suction bombs are better for pressuring, considering the blast times and radius. It doesn't help the rapid blaster much close range, which is just as big of a problem.
The Luna Blaster accents all the strengths of the blaster (hitting around terrain, killing stuff ridiculously quickly) while downplaying its flaws (fires more quickly than other blasters, range isn't too much of an issue when you can be incredibly mobile with it and have the Inkzooka for a special).
Range is always an issue no matter your mobility (unless you're moving 5x the speed of a squid of course), especially when everyone else has the same mobility and you have the range of an splooshomatic.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I find I have two general playstiles: Balls out with a hard hitting, longer range shooter like the .96; or quick, smooth, and sneaky with the Tentatek or other fast-firing close range weapons. Depending on the map I tend to use either the custom range blaster for its Kraken with overcharged swim speed, or sacrifice a little range and go with a disruptor in the original blaster. Whenever I have a disruptor as a sub, I abuse it so hard. The only time I generally use this weapon category though is in tower control - for almost every other mode I'd prefer standard shooters.

polysaw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
laffysapphy
Range is always an issue no matter your mobility (unless you're moving 5x the speed of a squid of course), especially when everyone else has the same mobility and you have the range of an splooshomatic.
The thing about the luna blaster is that, unless you're sure you can secure a OHKO, it forces you to use cover and hit around corners. You cannot play this weapon effectively while out in the open because you will almost always be outranged, and the delay after each shot hinders your mobility for just enough time for enemies to get a clean shot on you. However, this blaster is probably the best at hitting around corners, due to the fast fire rate, high damage output, and large blast radius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom