• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Matchmaking (or Lack Thereof)

Skyblade12

Inkling
The lack of any sort of matchmaking in this game is seriously ruining the entire experience for me. I'm a Level 7, and everyone else is level 20. That's great, I suck, I don't have as much time to play as you guys. But how the HELL am I supposed to improve when I'm facing people who know the weapons, terrain, and metagame so much better than I do? How is this game supposed to build a long-term player base if it is so hostile to the influx of new blood?

Then, of course, there's the problems with RNG. There's no balance for weapon types, not even something to stop one team from getting all rollers. Or to stop players with only a base ability unlocked from going up against players with all three bonus ability slots unlocked.

The utter mess that is matchmaking has rendered this game basically unplayable to me. And I don't see how it will ever get new players without some sort of overhaul, it is just way too hostile of an experience.

16bit

Inkling
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
I had this problem, too. But I found 2 solutions that worked for me:
1. Play at 6-9 EST. This is when most people are playing.
2. Beat at least the first two bosses of story mode. That gives you an idea how the game works.

Ictoan

Full Squid
NNID
Krrrrg
As for weapons: I made it to 20 in a couple of days of hard playing, so it doesn't take too long to get all the weapons. Even then, it takes an even shorter time to get to some of the best weapons like the Tentatek Splattershot and the .52 Gal. Even the very first weapon you're given is pretty good.

As for gear: you get two free sets of 2-star gear for beating the story mode. I'd recommend doing that. You'll also get 2-star sets for beating Amiibo challenges, if you have those. In my experience, gear is useful, but it doesn't make a massive difference.

As for your first point, matchmaking: if you want to, Ranked battles do have matchmaking, and you will be put in games with people of your rank or very near it almost every time. I realize that's not a great solution, as it precludes playing Turf War, which I feel is the best place for practicing and getting used to stuff.

As for team balance, I do feel Nintendo should fix this, as the game knows your loadout before you go in, but I am also hesitant to want something that will increase time waiting for teammates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom