• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

MegaTen x Fire Emblem

G

girigiriHERO

who's hyped about this? Sure they censored bikinis because we're too innocent for that, but excessive blood and gore is fine. It's a mix of MegaTen, Persona, and Fire Emblem with idol pop! 4 things I love! I haven't been watching too much as to keep it a surprise, but I finish work early today, so I'll pick it up right after and play it all Sunday.

SaltyCal

Full Squid
NNID
Jimbo21
Switch Friend Code
SW-2497-8552-1603
I am also hype, but isn't there already a Fire Emblem social thread?

G

girigiriHERO

I am also hype, but isn't there already a Fire Emblem social thread?
To be honest the elements of Fire Emblem seemed like they were shoe horned in last minute, it's more MegaTen/Persona than anything, although that's not bad at all.

SaltyCal

Full Squid
NNID
Jimbo21
Switch Friend Code
SW-2497-8552-1603
I like the arena. It's a good game, but it doesn't really feel like Fire Emblem. It's about as good as you could expect an Atlus game to be. People are saying it's like persona. I wouldn't know. I'm not too innocent for bikinis by any means.

G

girigiriHERO

I'm 13 hours in and just finished the second chapter. I will admit it would have made a lot more sense if they kept him a gravure photographer, but I guess since gravure doesn't really exist in North America,,,what ever. I was really surprised though that they actually had the VA re-say her lines to 18 years old instead of the original 17...that's just kinda sad, it wouldn't been better to just leave it and put 18 in the text.

The actual battle system is so solid, I love it, and Touma is a complete BA, probably my favourite in the game so far. It's also fun to see a lot of pokes at Japanese culture which might or might not have been added during the translation (I'll Tiki Tiki You) etc. I think if you don't have an interest in Japanese culture and don't know too much about modern Japan (in the past 5 years or so) some of the game will be lost on you, however it's still really good and I'm looking forward to sinking more time in to it.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
So what's the level of difficulty? Is it like Persona level which is hard but managable or old-school Shin Megami Tensei level where instant death is just another thing in random battles?

G

girigiriHERO

So what's the level of difficulty? Is it like Persona level which is hard but managable or old-school Shin Megami Tensei level where instant death is just another thing in random battles?
I'm playing the game on Normal and fighting every battle I encounter with exception to the "savage" battles, which are similar to the super strong enemies in Perona 4 and I'm doing fairly well. I read some people complaining about how fast the difficulty ramps up starting with the 2nd chapter's boss and while I agree it was difficult, I was level 24 and the boss was 28. People also complained about it taking over an hour, took me around 20 mins max. It's nowhere near the level of MegaTen and as long as you don't mind playing the battles (which isn't a chore because the battle system is so brilliantly done) you should be just fine.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Ah, thanks for explaining that. I've beaten most every SMT game so I'm used to pain, this sounds like a relative cakewalk :P I'll have to pick it up.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I'm also a SMT fan, this game battle system is so much fun! About difficulty, on Normal level I see it on Persona 3 and Persona 4 tier.

Plus, I can't wait to play SMT IV Apocalypse!

G

girigiriHERO

I'm also a SMT fan, this game battle system is so much fun! About difficulty, on Normal level I see it on Persona 3 and Persona 4 tier.

Plus, I can't wait to play SMT IV Apocalypse!
just starting my 2nd play through on New Game+ Hard (then I'll do it on Lunatic) and the first play through with all quests (characters around level 6X) took me 88 hours.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
just starting my 2nd play through on New Game+ Hard (then I'll do it on Lunatic) and the first play through with all quests (characters around level 6X) took me 88 hours.
Hohoho looks great! I'm playing it on normal, my wife enjoys it too but to make things easier for her to see the story faster I did choose that difficulty. New Game+ brings many extras?

This game's really addicting right? At first I confess I though it would suck because of its Idol-ish theme, I'm kinda "blabla I play SMT since Super Famicom blabla" so I got angry when I saw an SMT spin-off with that style on Nintendo Directs. But, looking around, persona 4 had that (specially that dancing all night game), it's like a tendency right? I've been in Japan last year, Akihabara was full of idol games, manga and anime, so the public is going to that direction I did stop to get grumpy.

G

girigiriHERO

Hohoho looks great! I'm playing it on normal, my wife enjoys it too but to make things easier for her to see the story faster I did choose that difficulty. New Game+ brings many extras?

This game's really addicting right? At first I confess I though it would suck because of its Idol-ish theme, I'm kinda "blabla I play SMT since Super Famicom blabla" so I got angry when I saw an SMT spin-off with that style on Nintendo Directs. But, looking around, persona 4 had that (specially that dancing all night game), it's like a tendency right? I've been in Japan last year, Akihabara was full of idol games, manga and anime, so the public is going to that direction I did stop to get grumpy.
I personally love idol culture and I have the SE of Persona 4 Dancing All Night ww

To be entirely honest, it plays a lot more like a Persona game with elements of of MegaTen and FE mixed in to the fray. Being a long time ATLUS and JRPG fan I enjoy it a lot. The battle system is the best part, and that is what is the most important, right? Grinding doesn't really feel like grinding. New Game+ allows everything to carry over and there are some new quests that have extremely hard bosses, "ultimate" weapons for each character that are not available the first time around, and a harder difficulty for the Arena. Arena is just fight 15 battles in a row with no stops, can't change characters or use items and you get rewards. Lunatic is unlocked after the first play through and nothing is carried over except your monster encyclopedia.

If you want the true experience, while I do own the original, I dumped my copy to my PC using DDD and downloaded the patch which removes all the censorship and changes a lot of the dialogue (specifically chapter 2 had over 300 lines of dialogue changed and re-recorded by the original cast to match the English "localization") and I play it through the Wii U Homebrew off an SD card. If you're in to that kind of thing it doesn't require a lot of effort or mess up your Wii U at all.

All the info can be found on GBATemp under the Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Reincarnation thread.

Idol Culture has been prominent in Japanese media for so long there is no use in fighting it, even back as far as 2010 I can remember AKB48 and MomoKuro taking over. Although their popularity is dying all the new groups are continuing the trend.

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
I personally love idol culture and I have the SE of Persona 4 Dancing All Night ww

To be entirely honest, it plays a lot more like a Persona game with elements of of MegaTen and FE mixed in to the fray. Being a long time ATLUS and JRPG fan I enjoy it a lot. The battle system is the best part, and that is what is the most important, right? Grinding doesn't really feel like grinding. New Game+ allows everything to carry over and there are some new quests that have extremely hard bosses, "ultimate" weapons for each character that are not available the first time around, and a harder difficulty for the Arena. Arena is just fight 15 battles in a row with no stops, can't change characters or use items and you get rewards. Lunatic is unlocked after the first play through and nothing is carried over except your monster encyclopedia.

If you want the true experience, while I do own the original, I dumped my copy to my PC using DDD and downloaded the patch which removes all the censorship and changes a lot of the dialogue (specifically chapter 2 had over 300 lines of dialogue changed and re-recorded by the original cast to match the English "localization") and I play it through the Wii U Homebrew off an SD card. If you're in to that kind of thing it doesn't require a lot of effort or mess up your Wii U at all.

All the info can be found on GBATemp under the Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Reincarnation thread.

Idol Culture has been prominent in Japanese media for so long there is no use in fighting it, even back as far as 2010 I can remember AKB48 and MomoKuro taking over. Although their popularity is dying all the new groups are continuing the trend.
That's quite interesting, I've never tried this Homebrew stuff on Wii U but I'm quite curious to see what changed. After seeing some videos of differences, I did understand why Tsubasa did act like that on Chapter 2. I mean, why the hell someone would be so shy to wear shorts and star clothes?

I'm afraid to talk spoilers here, but I really wanted to talk with someone about this game, could we talk on private?

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Here's a question for you Mirage fans, how complex does character customization get? I may return if it gets to Shin Megami Tensei levels. I totally didn't spend two hours last night fusing demons or anything :P

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86
Here's a question for you Mirage fans, how complex does character customization get? I may return if it gets to Shin Megami Tensei levels. I totally didn't spend two hours last night fusing demons or anything :p
For equips you have:
  • Weapon (Change status and resistance/weakness)
  • Acessory
  • Clothes (this one doesn't change your status)
The game automatically adds your character's points, you can't choose your own build for points.

For skills, you have separate lists for passive, active, session (like a co-op in smt strange journey). And you don't have Expel/Death elements.

The battle system is quite funny, once you unlock sessions and other skills things get really interesting.

I'm a SMT grumpy player, and I say you won't find the complexity or desolation you find on the main series or digital devil saga on this one, but it's very fun and worth trying.

G

girigiriHERO

Here's a question for you Mirage fans, how complex does character customization get? I may return if it gets to Shin Megami Tensei levels. I totally didn't spend two hours last night fusing demons or anything :p
there are 3 catergories for obtainable skills

active, passive, and session

session only has 9 options, so it's not a big deal (they are for linking attacks) however for active and passive there are a ton of skills you learn through levelling weapons and you can only learn 8, with a 9th slot unlocked later in the game. So there is a lot of customization, but certain players are better suited for certain skills due to their stats.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Sounds like I'll have to do some googling! Thanks, fellas.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I've looked into this game, and I just can't get into it. Here's a good a place as any to rant about it!

This game just has several little things that irk me. Like level-ups being totally random. I'm okay with RNG in games, but your character's stats? The numbers that dictate their performance in battle and how valuable they are? That is NOT something that should be left to chance! I loathe grinding up a character and getting nothing but HP for an advance in level.

Also, EXP not being shared. That drives me mad after Pokemon and Shin Megami Tensei and what have you where everyone gets a slice of the pie, so to speak. And with content being tied to characters being of a certain level and whatnot, that's more grindy than I'd like.

Also? Not sure I like the cast. SMT protagonists are generally silent and driven by your dialogue choices, and they still have more personality than the wooden plank that is the main character here.

Eh! That's enough rambling from me :P

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
I've looked into this game, and I just can't get into it. Here's a good a place as any to rant about it!

This game just has several little things that irk me. Like level-ups being totally random. I'm okay with RNG in games, but your character's stats? The numbers that dictate their performance in battle and how valuable they are? That is NOT something that should be left to chance! I loathe grinding up a character and getting nothing but HP for an advance in level.

Also, EXP not being shared. That drives me mad after Pokemon and Shin Megami Tensei and what have you where everyone gets a slice of the pie, so to speak. And with content being tied to characters being of a certain level and whatnot, that's more grindy than I'd like.

Also? Not sure I like the cast. SMT protagonists are generally silent and driven by your dialogue choices, and they still have more personality than the wooden plank that is the main character here.

Eh! That's enough rambling from me :p
I came into this game as a Fire Emblem fan and I've played few RPG's so this was one of my first.
Levelling up is a lot like Fire Emblem so you get random gains for each stat, but most of the time you would get at least 3 or more points and I think it works well. (I haven't had any problems in all my playthroughs.) Some classes do have better stats in certain categories though. For example, Kiria (Sorcerer) has high magic and resistance, but she doesn't have a whole lot of defence or speed.

Exp isn't shared, but each character gets some when they participate in an attack including sessions so it shouldn't be much of a problem to keep them around the same level. Since Itsuki is always out he may be a few levels higher than the others, but it has generally been within 5-10 levels at most throughout my playthroughs.

Itsuki may not exactly be the most interesting character and he certainly isn't one of my favourites, but he does have some more interesting parts and his character is more fleshed out throughout the story and side stories. Also I've found the other characters to be very interesting with side stories going more into depth about them. Some of my personal favourites are Touma and Eleonora who have some interesting backgrounds and personalities.

IMG_5220.JPG IMG_5221.JPG
Examples of some average level ups, I think I do usually get better ones though.

Last edited:

Nero86

Inkling Cadet
NNID
nero86

Eh! That's enough rambling from me :p
Character outside the main party are kept active to make combos (so called sessions) with yours, so they're constantly leveling up weapons and base levels. Plus, I don't think this game has a lot of grind, I'm used with things like Dragon Quest so almost everything else is softier.

The cast is pretty different from regular SMT games, but, I think SMT IV Apocalypse has also a pretty "soft-lovey-dovey" cast for SMT series. As you progress in Tokyo the protagonist growns up, in a persona-ish way (you know, inner-growth and stuff).

By the way, I understand you're also a SMT big fan. If talking about spin-offs matters, I think Tokyo Mirage is more to Persona 4's Rise mood, idol problems and inner-growth. I had problems to deal with persona 3 when it was released after innocent sin + eternal punishment, but I insisted and everything was ok, the same for Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom