• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Mid Week Tournaments

Which day would work better?

• Total voters

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
UPDATE:
  • I'm hoping to have more set ideas within the next week or so! And if all goes well to start running test tournaments by mid to late February. By all means please keep tossing me ideas and feedback on what we want out of this!!! As this is being done for you guys "the community" and no one else!
UPDATE:
  • http://strawpoll.me/6476885 <--use this poll not the squidboards poll! Thank you!
  • Looking for TOs
  • 16 team tournament-32 team single-elimination?

Some have been showing interest in the want for reoccurring tournaments to happen in the middle of the week. This can be either bi-monthly or even weekly depending on the amount of interest is shown. For now I would like to try and gather some information as far as what day of the week and or time would work best for the community overall! Keep in mind considering these will be later in the night it opens up more doors to having some consistent Japanese teams in them as well due to the time difference.

Thanks!

Last edited:

hero

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ftwhero
wouldnt it be better to have the times work for both europeans and americans and not americans and japanese? my point of view could be biased as i am myself european, but i do think you'd lose a considerable amount of western teams this way. I do understand you would like to have the japanese teams partecipating in western events more, but it would probably be better if you leave that to bigger tournaments happening over the course of the weekend.

overall i think this is a nice idea, but i would think it would be better if you made the timezones fit EU & US, or alternatively you could make it so that one week works for US&EU and one for US&JP.
as for a dedicated day, i dont think there is a "best" one, as everyone has their weekly routine/schedule, which changes from person to person. Nonetheless, Friday would probably be the best choice, as in most countries there tends not to be school on Saturday (sadly its not the case for Italy :c), but since that isnt in your poll i'd go for Thursday, as Wednesday is exactly in the middle of the week.

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
True, there are some Europeans players as well! But the biggest thing here is trying to appeal to the larger amount of players. As not every team needs to or has to play in everyone single tournament, don't get me wrong everyone is welcomed to! But I think players and teams feel like they "have to" play and that's part of the reason we haven't had more tournaments pop up.

But once again thank you for the input and I will try to see if there is a middle ground time period where it would work for all parties.

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
I have also put thought into maybe some kind of rotation of time zones on a tournament if it is going to be bi-monthly, maybe week1 being a-time zone and week3 being b-time zone! Not sure if that would add too much confusion or not..

Icky

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lillyfield18
I personally would love to see a late night EST tournament. In SND, many of our players often say they wish a tournament took place at around 7 or 8pm EST on either Mondays or Wednesdays to break the week up.

Maybe a 16 team, 4 groups round robin (only one team from each group advances) and then single elimination (semi final and grand final) tournament. Or a straight knockout, single elimination tournament like SCL capped at 32 teams. Start time at 7pm EST would be 11pm in Europe (I think) and 10am - 12 noon the following days for Japanese teams so may suit some of them.

For reference, I'm Aussie on AEDT timezone, but I believe the biggest benefit should be to Western players since they make up the bulk of the competitive front.

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Over here in the far north, where we huddle in igloos, Smash weeklies are held on Thursdays at 5 PM PST. The only option left is Wednesday.

Gi.

Senior Squid
NNID
OldboyNin
Yeeeeee!!! Bring me those wednesday tourneys! Squidkids will always be up in that!

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
problem with weekday tournaments is no matter when you host them you typically cut out at least one area of players. Too early and Americans are at work, and too late and Europeans are in bed. Also people generally have more obligations during the week as a rule.

I wouldn't run it too often either. Early on especially there were problems with tournament burnout because there were several tournaments being run all the time. Back then we didn't even have weekday tournaments. Things have relaxed some but you may run into burnout issues.

Definitely aim for a smaller tournament. You don't have a huge timetable to work with, so a simpler tournament framework and a relatively low cap may be ideal for weekday night tournaments. I think hosting them weekly would be much too often. Bi weekly with a break every 2 or 3 tournaments is probably what I would recommend. It may be better to not set a series schedule (IE bi weekly or something) so you can deliberately choose weeks that are less busy and thus less subject to players not wanting to enter all the tournaments, rather than hoping for the best.

Static

Inkling Cadet
NNID
kevinjamesfan65
Hmm yeah I think maybe not forcing it to be bi monthly would be a good idea. As far as time frame goes and size of tournament I'm kind of on the same page.
Honestly considering its going to be mid-week and not everyone is clearly going to be able to make it, I feel that teams shouldn't feel discouraged from making pick up teams to fill gaps!

I'm hoping to have more set ideas within the next week or so! And if all goes well to start running test tournaments by mid to late February. By all means please keep tossing me ideas and feedback on what we want out of this!!! As this is being done for you guys "the community" and no one else!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom