Miiverse Graffiti?

BOOXMOWO

Inkling
So I was browsing through the Splatoon official tumblr (trying really hard to last until Thursday) and I noticed something really odd.

The graffiti on the right is perfectly rectangular, and monochrome. My immediate guess was that this is a Miiverse drawing converted to graffiti by the game, and that the blue is standing in for black while the unpainted areas stand in for white. Taking into account that this might be a feature I noticed that the graffiti on the left, while it's not perfectly rectangular and it has two shades, has the same length and width as the one on the right, and still clearly consists of one dark colour and one light colour. Maybe sometimes when the game pulls a drawing off of Miiverse it trims the edges so that it will be shaped more like paint? Or maybe the developers just felt like making one patch of graffiti rectangular and it's just confirmation bias making me think the other one fits the bill. So I went through more pictures and...

The walls in the background of this one are literally lined with rectangular graffiti. Many of them are trimmed at the edges, but all of them have the same length and width and none of them have more than two colours.

There's some more in the most recent Nintendo Treehouse Live with Splatoon video, and the video that showed off the Classic Squiffer.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Ooooo this is nice. Probably pulls stuff from a graffiti miiverse community, don't you think?

because something tells me we're not ready for TF2-esque sprays.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Maybe you get to set your own hand-drawn post as a thing you can write on walls, maybe like sprays in Source games?

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I have a feeling that's not the case, Yoshi, just because of some of the things some people would make and it seems like it would be hard to pinpoint who to report if you saw a spray in the middle of the field. the miiverse seems more likely to me.

Shuriblur

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shuriblur
Good eyes! I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Those definitely looks like Miiverse pictures. It'll be interesting to see what shows up in the game.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Well spotted! It wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing was implemented (ZombiU had creepy messages from other players smeared on the walls) so you could definitely be right.

Setnaro X

Full Squid
Some people noticed this before, particularly with that one image of a cute inkling presenting a squid on a banner (can't find the image right now).

If this turn out to be truth, I would love to see a cool feature where you can post your own Miiverse art, and set it so yours will appear in your match, along with all the other involving player's artworks as well.

Unessential

Full Squid
I would love to be able to pull graffiti from miiverse. But I don't want to see obscene drawings in game either. If they could come up with some sort of metric to reduce this from happening (maybe something like, not reported, and amount of time since posted, or maybe even incorporating some amount of "yeahs") it would be great!. But then they'd also have to be really strict so that one confirmed legitimatly inapprpriate image would result in a time ban.

with how "safe" nintendo is trying to be with protecting children, it seems to be too much logistics. It can be done, mii verse is overall pretty well maintained. I only see the occasional genital scribble here and there. I guess it just depends on how well integrated miiverse is.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I would love to be able to pull graffiti from miiverse. But I don't want to see obscene drawings in game either.
Every Miiverse post is screened before anyone can see it, so it's unlikely you'll spot any distasteful tentacle drawings in-game.

Unessential

Full Squid
Really? since when? I admit, it's been a while since I've played on the wii u (minus the recent miiverse drawings i made), but I'm pretty sure my posts show up right away, and i'd imagine it'd be quite an undertaking to review *every* miiverse post before releasing them. And if that were true, quite a large percentage handdrawn posts (from when I last played new mario bros u) were very phallic,.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
Pretty sure they're not screened before being posted. Maybe a live feed so they get taken down immediately if caught, but no way they have some monkey reading every post. There's probably some word filtering too that would get a post more attention (probably only applies to text though).
And yeah I've seen way too many phallic posts. I used to have a phallus counter but then got my profile hidden until I changed it!

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
There were a bunch of reports back when Miiverse launched about everything being checked by a human before going public, and I haven't seen any updates on the situation since then. If you've seen a few unsavoury drawings, forgive the moderators for getting a bit tired and letting some slip through after seeing so much of it over the past 2.5 years. :P

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I believe they have some kind of image processing software that flags potentially inappropriate images that are checked by human beings then, on top of evaluating reported posts. I know some friends received notifications for things that looked like boobs on their miiverse drawings :p

And yeah, pretty sure these are Miiverse drawings, they'll probably discuss it in detail on the direct.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
yeah i saw this a bit ago and i was excited to actually use miiverse for graffiti. i am assuming it's confirmed just by the visual, hoping its finalized tomorrow. i never use miiverse for anything, this will be something i use in this game.

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Incredible catch. I draw somewhat often on miiverse and would love to contribute to others' games with graffiti art of my favorite squids. I could see this announcement being something that they announce tomorrow during the Direct.

Unessential

Full Squid
Pretty sure they're not screened before being posted. Maybe a live feed so they get taken down immediately if caught, but no way they have some monkey reading every post. There's probably some word filtering too that would get a post more attention (probably only applies to text though).
And yeah I've seen way too many phallic posts. I used to have a phallus counter but then got my profile hidden until I changed it!
That would make much more sense. because again, posts do seem to show up damn fast if you consider they're reviewed beforehand, and much more viable. rather than some monkey (or monkies) going through every single post and approving them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom