• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Motion control using split joycon

4poosaday

Inkster Jr.
Hi all

Just wondering if anyone else uses motion control using split joycons.
I've tried to get used to the pro controller but the split joy cons seem to work better for me.

Luminario

Full Squid
The joy-cons with motion control work just fine for me, and I mostly use chargers, so there's no real need to use the pro controller if you don't want to.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I think it's only that helpful with weapons that require 'flicking' or 'snapping' i.e. blasters and chargers.

Also I guess it's helpful if you want to be able to aim at someone quickly but you still want a low sensitivity.

inkcan

Semi-Pro Squid
I can't play with them separated. My brain breaks in half and cannot figure it out, lol.

I do feel I have average to above average motor skills, but having the joycons split and not bolstered makes me hold them more naturally far apart, which causes my sense of aim to become quite disjointed.

Maybe I could do it with practice, but this isn't skyward sword, so it's safe to just use my Splatoon 2 grip for now.

When all is said and done, the pro controller is probably superior due to the more natural placement of the gyro sensor, don't you think?

4poosaday

Inkster Jr.
I just seem to do best with them split, tried using the pro controller but can't seem to get my head round it feels like I am driving my car if that makes sense.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I would use them, except using the Joycons at all to control the game instead of a pro controller cramps my fingers. I used them separately during the testfire when I could, though!

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I tried using the split Joycons once, but while doing so the camera kept erratically bouncing all over the place, preventing me from doing much of anything. So I have no idea how you'd make it work.

4poosaday

Inkster Jr.
i exclusively use split joycons. seemed more intuitive than steering with both arms on an attached remote.
I just find it easier using split just seem to be more steady than using the pro controller.

Can I ask what motion and R stick sensitivity you use ?

Thanks Daz.

くコ:彡 - ROXY

Senior Squid
NNID
Spamus
When using split joycons, the motion controls are only on the right joycon, so you would have to adjust to just using your right hand for motion and keep you left hand still, but if all else fails, just use the grip :P

Pudgey

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-4318-0812-5511
I love being able to use split joycons. It's much easier on my carpal tunnel syndrome, so I can play for hours at a time instead of having to stop after 30 minutes from pain.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
Yeah, I use split joys. I played a lot of Wii/Wii-U COD with motion and Killzone 3 with motion, and split joys best approximate the wiimote/PS move set up. Just wish they used a deadzone/turning outside the deadzone setup like those games did, but it's a small gripe.

I maxed out motion and stick sensitivity, and I mostly use the rapid blaster and ranged shooters. The weird placement of the right stick makes it uncomfortable to use short range weapons where I'd need to adjust the camera more often, but those weapons aren't really my playstyle anyway so it's cool.

It's just so intuitive. I point where I want to shoot, and then I shoot it. Using the pro controller with motion is more akin to adjusting a turret than aiming a gun, which isn't to say it's less accurate. I just can't get my mind to adjust to moving an entire controller versus pointing with the right joy con -- even though it's essentially the same thing.

flamingoezz

Inkling
I use default joystick sensitivity and highest motion sensitivity.

I just find it easier using split just seem to be more steady than using the pro controller.

Can I ask what motion and R stick sensitivity you use ?

Thanks Daz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom