• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Motion Controls in Competitive

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
Well in the two hours that the I got to play the Testfire, I got heavily used to the motion controls as well as I feel as if the game works well with it so minus well.

Dragonite

Full Squid
NNID
JameSdEke
I am a bit tempted to give the motion controls a go. During a one-hour testfire, I didn't want to waste any time... so I went straight in and turned off motion control ASAP. I will be trying it properly in the full game, though. When I first turned them off on the demo, I actually found myself kind of wishing I never had turned them off... which really shocked me. They're done quite well and suit the game perfectly, not like in Mario Kart where it's just awful.

StormPhrax

Full Squid
NNID
joelsmart01
I am a bit tempted to give the motion controls a go. During a one-hour testfire, I didn't want to waste any time... so I went straight in and turned off motion control ASAP. I will be trying it properly in the full game, though. When I first turned them off on the demo, I actually found myself kind of wishing I never had turned them off... which really shocked me. They're done quite well and suit the game perfectly, not like in Mario Kart where it's just awful.
Yeah, i played with them throughout the first two and turned it off for the third and i have to say the motion controls suit the game well, but i don't know how competitive communities will go about them.

Wonder Blue

Inkling
NNID
Otasira
I thought motion control would be very off on a competitive standpoint but upon using it a little more, it's more aimed at precision single shots.
I can't imagine it being used with automatics or melee oriented weapons.

bluekentuckyboy

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
bluekentuckyboy
I always liked motion controls in shooters. I played A LOT of the Conduit series and they are some of my favorite shooters I have played. Part is the originality of the games, but I believe part is the controls. Motion controls allows me to aim where I want to aim a lot faster than a Control stick so as of right now I believe I will be using the motion controls for fun and for competitive, but that may change.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I probably won't use it, strafe aiming seems to be more than sufficient for this game and having my aim get messed up by gyro controls would annoy me to no end

Dragonite

Full Squid
NNID
JameSdEke
I probably won't use it, strafe aiming seems to be more than sufficient for this game and having my aim get messed up by gyro controls would annoy me to no end
I want to say I will use it, but the likelihood of Gyro controls skipping just once and possibly ruining a game for me is a bit too much of a risk. They work well (from what I could tell) and they are fun, but I am leaning toward standard analog control

w00se

Inkster Jr.
NNID
w00sey
From the 3 hours I got to spend with the motion controls in a pretty much empty gamestop during the demo the motion controls feel much more like a traditional mouse movement than the ever horrible analog stick camera aiming. I will almost certainly be using the gyro since they feel way tighter and more precise than the stick. I'd still take mouse over gyro if it was an option but since it isn't it really seems like the next best thing. The main thing I hope is that you can adjust the stick and the gyro sensitivity independently so that you can really make the most out of the hybrid setup for quick turning with the stick and aiming with the gyro.

That said it isn't really a question of right stick vs pure gyro. I think a lot of players once they get a good amount of time to play with the game will end up going towards the hybrid style setup. If the game had a significant autoaim like cod or halo or battlefield or pretty much any other console shooter I could see a pure right stick setup being somewhat viable but without that it is kind of just putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
I played a bit with them on and it wasn't for me. If motion controls feel the best to you, then go for it.

Whatever is the most comfortable

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
there's been a lot of threads on this subject and the general consensus has been "the gyro is good, but if you don't like it, don't use it"

anyway, the gyro presents to you nuanced camera movement that allows you to make subtle adjustments without flicking the stick or slowly nudging it, and feels surprisingly natural. i would imagine most competitive players would want to leave it on because the benefits of using it greatly outweighs the temporary inconvenience of adjusting to motion controls. i'm not entirely sure if there's even something like aim assist or analog acceleration in the game, so that'll make camera movements with the analog stick feel very stiff and static, if you're not used to that. and who's to say you can't use both the analog and gyro? making broad movements with the right stick and subtle ones with the gyro is probably going to be the best way to go about using them.

you could make a lot of arguments in favor of or against the gyro, but in consummation not using it is just denying yourself more control over your character and camera, so it's most likely going to be beneficial adjusting to it.

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
Motion controls + right stick movement will probably be superior if the motion controls don't suck (and we've played with them so we know they don't), as it gives you 2 different sensitivities that can be used to either move the cursor left to right relatively fast, or adjust in all 8 directions in a fairly responsive and effective way.

But in the grand scheme, it shouldn't matter too much. People not using the gyro will still adapt to the lack of sensitive gyro control. just go with what's most comfortable for you.

RedML51

Senior Squid
NNID
RedML51
If it were between two highly skilled players, one who always uses gyro and the other who always uses the stick, I feel like the gyro user is at an advantage.

But how much of an advantage, I don't know. I prefer the gyro controls personally.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
there's been a lot of threads on this subject and the general consensus has been "the gyro is good, but if you don't like it, don't use it"

anyway, the gyro presents to you nuanced camera movement that allows you to make subtle adjustments without flicking the stick or slowly nudging it, and feels surprisingly natural. i would imagine most competitive players would want to leave it on because the benefits of using it greatly outweighs the temporary inconvenience of adjusting to motion controls. i'm not entirely sure if there's even something like aim assist or analog acceleration in the game, so that'll make camera movements with the analog stick feel very stiff and static, if you're not used to that. and who's to say you can't use both the analog and gyro? making broad movements with the right stick and subtle ones with the gyro is probably going to be the best way to go about using them.

you could make a lot of arguments in favor of or against the gyro, but in consummation not using it is just denying yourself more control over your character and camera, so it's most likely going to be beneficial adjusting to it.
Basically this. you can check out the other threads here:
http://squidboards.com/threads/stick-vs-gyro-which-is-better.735/
http://squidboards.com/threads/moti...ay-be-the-ideal-aiming-setup-in-splatoon.700/

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Gyro is very close a mouse/keyboard. It's positional, move it a given distance and your reticle moves that exact distance. You can instantly make both large turns and small adjustments.

Dual analogs, on the other hand, are velocity based. They take time to move. Sure, you can try up the sensitivity, but then you lose the ability to make small adjustments. They simply cannot compare.

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel
Pretty much echoing the sentiments on Gyro being akin to mouse+keyboard. It felt natural to me within a few seconds of playing the testfire and I plan to stick with it.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
It really just has to do with sensitivity, the gyro would be horrible to use if there was no way to re position the camera, and to enable the sensitivity to your liking. There's the option to not have it on as well so, there ya go.

knubie

Inkster Jr.
NNID
msteedman
I can't imagine anyone playing this game on a competitive level without using gyros. How are you supposed to aim while bunny hopping, for instance?

Mayday

Row, Row, Fight the Power!
NNID
MaydayBelieves
I can't imagine anyone playing this game on a competitive level without using gyros. How are you supposed to aim while bunny hopping, for instance?
THE CLAAAAAAAWWWWWWWW

Or Bumper Jumper if the option is available

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom