Motion Controls VS Stick Controls

Peaches

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
huntingforfrogs
Motion since I use chargers and it's pretty much a necessity. You can't afford for your aim to be slightly to the left or whatever like you can with weapons such as rollers and shooters. Another person in my squad uses sticks for his krak-on roller and he is a beast with it, it amazed me the first time I heard he did that! I find sticks really hard to use since your mobility is so much more limited, I don't know how he does it.

Kikaioh

Full Squid
I use sticks. I've made it up to S rank so far using just the Kelp Splatterscope. I got used to quickly rotating the camera to the position it (mostly) needs to go. I find the motion controls distracting and tiring.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Like many others I made the transition to motion controls and now I can't go back to stick. Though my initial climb to S (and the first 7 or so months of my owning the game) I used stick controls.

The argument is that motion more closely emulates the mouse-and-keyboard structure of PC shooters as far as pinpoint accuracy which sets them apart from their console counterparts. I don't personally play any other shooters console or otherwise, but the logic is sound. Analog sticks are not as intuitive for aiming, hence the reason why aim-assist exists in many AAA console shooters (but not Splatoon). I think it gives Splatoon a nice hardcore edge for those who want a PC-esque experience on a console, while not necessitating it.

But, I disagree with the popular notion that motion controls are a necessity for high level play. You can definitely make stick controls work with a little effort, and if that's what you prefer, don't listen to the opposition.

Peaches

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
huntingforfrogs
I use sticks. I've made it up to S rank so far using just the Kelp Splatterscope. I got used to quickly rotating the camera to the position it (mostly) needs to go. I find the motion controls distracting and tiring.
Interesting, how long have you mained it? I imagine it's even harder to do with the scope. Can you still do jump shots?

Kikaioh

Full Squid
Interesting, how long have you mained it? I imagine it's even harder to do with the scope. Can you still do jump shots?
I've mained the Splatterscope a long while now, maybe 5 or so months I'm guessing. I actually don't do jump shots (they're maybe not as precise/easy using the sticks compared to motion controls), but since the Splatterscope has a limited range compared to the e-liters, I think maybe it's not as useful. I like being able to comfortably point upwards/downwards using the sticks, it seems to be helpful on stages like the Moray Towers and Flounder Heights. I also felt like the motion controls made me stand in place more often to try and line up my shots, and I much prefer shooting as fast as possible and then moving. Anywho, I think so long as you get good at flicking the stick around where you want the camera to go, it can still work well compared to the motion controls.

crazyhamlet

Inkling
NNID
crazyhamlet
I play stick; I could never get used to motion controls and my brother tried to get me to switch but it honestly feels off to me; I find I`m much more jittery on motion controls and find stick much more stable. Granted, I use shooters, so my focus is moreso on the paint than my enemies, but I`ve been using stick since the game came out and it`s worked out just fine for me.

colormute

Inkling
NNID
neverosa
I was just thinking about going back to motion controls soon to see how I feel about them now that I've got the hang of the game. I found them a bit tiring originally, tho I was aiming just fine and was actually doing really well. I'm doing perhaps roughly as well now but I do feel my aim is a bit off, which is why I'm considering experimenting with motion controls some more. I just don't really feel like "working" when I'm playing casual turf wars lol;; I was surprised at how good the motion controls actually are tho, all that said

dylan_not_bob

Stardust Crusquider
Yeah, I used stick until I asked some people here for tips using the Zink Mini Splatling. The consensus was that motion controls would help a lot. Turned them on and found that my abilities with the Zink Mini were definitely improved. Also ended up helping with my aim for splash-o-matic which I had been maining since the late summer.

WiseSquid

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Lornomeister
I have bin' using motion controls for such a long time now that I can't go back. I've institutionalized the Stockholm syndrome.
But I still faff about with my sensitivities though.

H4I

Inkling
NNID
TheLateLateShow
i play stick , for me i had trouble with chargers with motion and when i made the switch , it was much easier to aim

db132

Full Squid
I use the sticks, mainly because it's what I'm used to but also because it provides me flexibility to play in a variety of different positions, whether it be laying down, on my side or whatever. Don't really feel too disadvantaged using the sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom