What do you use?

• Motion

Votes: 29 87.9%
  • Stick

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

Smash Arena

Inkster Jr.
I used sticks from the launch of Splatoon 1 until in 2020 I switched the motion for Splatoon 1 and 2. My win rate shot up after that and I actually got good at Splatoon, I couldn't believe how much I had been holding myself back for 5 years.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It's been well understood for a very long time that analog aiming is terrible for shooters. It's just something consoles were stuck with because they don't support mouse input, and in order to try and compensate most console shooters feature heavy aim assist.

The problem with analog aiming is that it's velocity-based. You only control the speed of your reticle, as you try to get it to its destination. Both speed and precision are rather poor, and no matter how you play with sensitivity you can only ever sacrifice one for the other.

Gyro finally brings a true positional input scheme to consoles. You move the controller a set distance, and the reticle moves a corresponding distance instantly. You can be both fast and precise this way, snapping to exactly where you want to go. It's the same principle as a mouse, albeit with more of a learning curve.

If you are still using sticks in current year, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. Unlike other console shooters, Splatoon has no aim assist to help you compensate for sticks' weaknesses. So if you truly want to improve, learn gyro. I get that some of you might be used to sticks and maybe you don't want to venture out of your comfort zone, but ask yourself, do you actually care about improving?

OnePotWonder

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
It's been well understood for a very long time that analog aiming is terrible for shooters. It's just something consoles were stuck with because they don't support mouse input, and in order to try and compensate most console shooters feature heavy aim assist.

The problem with analog aiming is that it's velocity-based. You only control the speed of your reticle, as you try to get it to its destination. Both speed and precision are rather poor, and no matter how you play with sensitivity you can only ever sacrifice one for the other.

Gyro finally brings a true positional input scheme to consoles. You move the controller a set distance, and the reticle moves a corresponding distance instantly. You can be both fast and precise this way, snapping to exactly where you want to go. It's the same principle as a mouse, albeit with more of a learning curve.

If you are still using sticks in current year, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. Unlike other console shooters, Splatoon has no aim assist to help you compensate for sticks' weaknesses. So if you truly want to improve, learn gyro. I get that some of you might be used to sticks and maybe you don't want to venture out of your comfort zone, but ask yourself, do you actually care about improving?
A very concise and well-written argument, for certain.
Friendly reminder to stick players, however, that it is most definitely 100% fine to play with sticks if you only play casually. If you do want to enter the competitive scene, though, I do recommend trying to get used to motion controls. They are unquestionably advantageous.

Mp3

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Female she/her
I use stick because my hands are very shakey and I use handheld switch because of my vision being terrible so when i use motion i either cant see the screen or my character will just look down
Lol only one person agrees with me

isaac4

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I only ever played motion with sticks only being used for camera control sometimes.
Even before I got Splatoon 3 I knew the optimal way to get better was by playing with motion controls so sticks was never an option I was going to try.

OCTöHEAD

Full Squid
Pronouns
any
I use stick because my hands are very shakey and I use handheld switch because of my vision being terrible so when i use motion i either cant see the screen or my character will just look down
Lol only one person agrees with me
Aye I have both an ordinary switch hooked to the tv and a lite that I play on handheld. I still have motion sometimes on the lite but minus a lot on the sensitivity

woomy.exe

Inkling
Honestly I've never used sticks. Ever since I started with splat 2 I just learned motion and it was no big deal. Honestly I'm a little disappointed when other shooters don't have gyro aiming because it's so much more accurate than sticks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom