• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

My beef with campers.

Zephy

Inkling
NNID
KittyFeesh
Ok let me set something straight.

I am on a team of 4 people, 3 other people helping me claim the control point. Ok, that's all nice and dandy.

BUT WHEN SOMEONE....when someone on my team decides to camp and not help out claiming turf--LITERALLY not even doing anything to HELP the other 3 people (basically just shooting at whatever opponent comes nearby and not trying to keep the control point with the rest of us), You are basically roasting marshmallows COMPLETELY oblivious to the entire point of the game.

I mean come on. You have echolocator, You can tell WHEN someone is behind you! Don't just stand there like it's king of the hill, Help us!

Anyway that's my little rant...I hope to see people not doing this anymore. Let's all work together as a team and not be scared to stand your ground and face your enemy eye to eye. <3

Graff

I'm not funny D:
NNID
griffingraff
Don't you mean "my REEF"?

Bad jokes aside, camping is a sin in Sploon.

Last edited:

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
To be fair, camping is built into the game's mechanics (squid form).

And, in splatzones, kills are worth quite a bit. In fact, the only splatzone wins I've had are when my team significantly out-kills the enemy team.

Joalro

Inkling
I don't see the problem. In turf wars you don't want your team all together anyway, so it's not like you want backup, you want to spread out.

If they are camping strategically, I don't see the problem. Sometimes you are in a spot you KNOW an enemy is going to be going through soon. Taking out an enemy fighter in turf wars is really useful, it means they can't be out there spreading ink or stopping you from spreading ink.

But you need to balance how long you are sitting there for. If you are sitting there for more than say, 10 seconds, you've wasted way too much time already. Obviously you sitting there means you aren't spreading ink either. So if you sit there for 10 seconds and take out one person, at best you've achieved 0 sum. But if you take out 3 people camping there within 10 seconds, you've helped the team greatly.

Zephy

Inkling
NNID
KittyFeesh
Most of the time I never see them use echolocator which, if they are going to snipe, they can tell if someone is coming after them. I see this happen so many times in the Salt spray rig level. The two high points next to the main part of the level. I get up there to throw a sprayer to cover some ground then jump down to kill off any of the opponent coming in. But some of them don't jump down and help me and in turn, my entire team gets killed.

Ideally, I go full offense and a sniper keeps the pace smooth in the back, making sure the opponent doesn't get near the control point. I'm just down there to support rollers most of the time. I hope people get the hang of keeping the pace in ranked battles. Pace is important for keeping up the pressure as well.

Whoa, sorry for the text wall lol. ^^;

Chiiab

Shy person
NNID
Chiiab
If they are camping strategically, I don't see the problem. Sometimes you are in a spot you KNOW an enemy is going to be going through soon. Taking out an enemy fighter in turf wars is really useful, it means they can't be out there spreading ink or stopping you from spreading ink.

But you need to balance how long you are sitting there for. If you are sitting there for more than say, 10 seconds, you've wasted way too much time already. Obviously you sitting there means you aren't spreading ink either. So if you sit there for 10 seconds and take out one person, at best you've achieved 0 sum. But if you take out 3 people camping there within 10 seconds, you've helped the team greatly.
This^
This game is all about adapting to situations and sometimes camping is a great choice but it can also be a bad choice. As the game matures we'll probably see players start to develop the capabilities to adapt to situations better and bad camping won't be a problem.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Camping in turf wars is a kind of mixed bag I agree. While it is amazing for surprise attacks, after trying multiple times, it doesn't help the team overall. Heck, the way most people paint makes it hard in general to hide.

As for splat zones, it does have a lot more merit. As like others have mentioned, killing is worth more, and people will be more focused on the center.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Consider a map like Saltspray Rig. The north square and central entrance comprise the bulk of the map, if you lock them down you can practically just ignore the rest. You know this and so do your opponents, so they'll focus on trying to take it from you. Thankfully the central entrance serves as a choke point that's very eay to guard. So why wouldn't you camp there? I just start by inking the square, then patrol the entrance and get kill after kill after kill as they keep trying to get in. If I can ensure they never do get in, victory is pretty much guaranteed.

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
Camping isn't the problem. It's that people don't know where to camp. They should set up shop where they can light up the choke points or where they have vision over a wide field of terrain where the enemy will have to cross in order to have an impact on the conflict.

Zephy

Inkling
NNID
KittyFeesh
It's difficult to camp in Saltspray Rig because nearly everyone knows those two points above the main square of the level. I figured out I have to keep watch on both sides to make sure my snipers don't get killed while up there, and it has helped my team win a lot of the time. Well, depending on whether the snipers are skilled or not.

It's different for ranked battles though...I find myself up there on those points covering the splat zone and everyone else going in. This is one of the main reason I love Echolocator. At least I can tell where people are coming from so I can defend my team from them. I don't have to deal with playing mindgames with people hiding in one little blot of ink left unchecked in the corner.

Also it's nice to see people's input in this. :)

FirestormNeos

Senior Squid
NNID
FirestormNeos
I was gonna try to defend myself and say "I know I'm not particularly helpful, but how else am I supposed to stop Spawn Campers from succeeding?" but then I saw the OP and realized we're mostly talking about ranked, and I don't play ranked.

so nvm camping in that mode is not smart.

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
I mean, if your team is able to push back the enemy to their base in ranked, then they can't get to the zones. You should win by default. But I don't know if this specific scenario is what you are referring to.

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
It's fine. That's what a sniper is supposed to do. They have to utilize thier range and if they want to camp just let them. It's only a problem if that's what their only doing. Painting is important but you can't change someone's playstyle.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
It's fine. That's what a sniper is supposed to do. They have to utilize thier range and if they want to camp just let them. It's only a problem if that's what their only doing. Painting is important but you can't change someone's playstyle.
Pretty sure Zephy realizes this, but he seems to be talking about Turf Wars, not ranked matches. Being a sniper in Turf Wars is ridiculous because you can't cover a lot of turf. Ranked matches are much better served for snipers.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Pretty sure Zephy realizes this, but he seems to be talking about Turf Wars, not ranked matches. Being a sniper in Turf Wars is ridiculous because you can't cover a lot of turf. Ranked matches are much better served for snipers.
You can still support by denying the other team the ability to push and giving your team openings.

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
In Splat Zones, painting is not very important. Controlling a position is.

Even in turf war, if you can hold the center as a sniper, your team will have more time to ink the middle.

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
Campers are useful in both modes.
Turf War, depending on where the camper is, can make the enemy team not ink in a specific spot, or will kill enemies near spawn
Splat Zone, campers can kill the enemies so they won't ink the zone.
Of course, someone can catch on, and kill the camper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom