My Experience as a Collegiate Splatoon Club Leader

Diolass

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-0746-2241-9712
Hi I'm a college student who started a Splatoon club. I just wanted to share my experiences being a club president and what playing competitive Splatoon as a college student is like.

Starting the club was daunting. I started by posting a message in my schools esports Discord asking if anyone plays Splatoon and I found 2 people. As a competitive player, I had the intention to start a team, but those players werent super excited. However, they did help me make a case to be a part of the college esports club. Our school esports club wasn't sponsored by the University, it was just a student made club. Myself and the 2 other students started by making a Discord server and we quickly caught the eye of the esports club. They invited us to be a part of their club. This was initially very exciting. This led us to creating one competitive team that lasted 2 semesters and we would hangout in our school's student center every other Friday. The people from that initial team are still around and we're all good friends now. The team competed in the Collegiate Cephalopod Association (CCA) that hosts a league where over a hundred collegiate teams compete over the course of the school semester.

Fast forward to last Fall. The esports club raised the membership prices to $45 per year, which was outrageous. For comparison, it was $25 the year prior. My players didn't want to pay so we broke away from the esports club and started the process of starting our own club. It took a few months, but we are finally recognized as our own official club. During that semester where we were club-less, we had 2 teams competing in the CCA. Now that we are advertising as our own club, there are a lot of new members in the server. The hope is that we can have 3 teams this semester.

If anyone wants to start a club at their high school or university, I will say that it takes a lot of courage. Start small by making a post in your school's reddit and esports club. If you want to commit, you can make flyers advertising a Discord server. Once you find a few people, make sure you get people to help you out. Don't try to do everything alone, trust me. Over time, people will start to flock to your Discord. At this point, see what it takes to become an official club of your university. Or you could look into being a part of your school's esports program. If anyone has any questions, feel free to reach out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom