My impression of Hammerhead Bridge (Turf Wars and Splat Zones)

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon

Ok, so a new map has just dropped on us for an hour as of this thread and my impressions of it so far is:

This map is LONG, probably the longest map released so far. Even though there is so much ground to cover, you have to consider multiple platforms when moving around giving you that 3-Dimensional feel as you try to watch yourself for enemies. It's also given me an insight into what types of weapons are better on this map. Ranged weapons actually combat better for some reason... Not even talking about snipers, just generally good ranged weapons like Gals and Dynamos do a number on people with short ranged weapons and while that may seem easily perceived, it feels more distinct on this map than others due to its layout. I've been trying both the Dynamo and the Krak On and I would say that I have way more success with the Dynamo and very few with the Krak On because I either get out-ranged or just splatted from above; I have to literally not die as a short ranged weapon to not suffer so much.

And oh, Killer Wails are amazing, nuff said.

I had some really good players for the past hour, mostly Japanese (and mainly because the casuals are sleeping right now) so I believe that my impressions are more on point for the time being. Of course you're welcome to share your own opinions because Forum.

As for Splat Zones... I've been waiting for such a zone like that and let me tell you, it's ridiculous to cover.

Last edited:

DeltaFixer

Full Squid
NNID
RCDelta
I agree on your point about ranged weapons being great here. I'm a .96 gal deco main and I was tearing things up last night. I also played really well with the Tentatek which has average range. I'm enjoying it a lot so far. SZ is so much fun on this map.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm gonna have to try this map before I can say anything concrete, but I feel all the Splatlings (including the upcoming Hydra) will do fine on this map. Mini Splatlings get extra troll points if you can get surprise splats from sticking suctions under the grate.

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Dynamo Rollers are so strong on this stage their arc when flinging is deadly upon approach on the grates and from below you can be a walking target. Having a really tough time countering Dynamo Roller heavy teams so far. :(

Dragonuto

Pro Squid
Community Ambassador
NNID
Dragonuto
Rollers have so many hiding spots ;-; It's cruel but I see why! I think it'll be a good :D

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
Turf war battles can me pretty one sided one way or the other as it is tough to sneak around when the enemy has the upper hand. There probably is away, but I haven't discovered it yet. So many paths lead to the center, so its inevitable you'll run into someone eventually.

GreenSpiny

Full Squid
If you control the middle platform, you can give the enemy a hard time returning from spawn. If they're too lazy to go around the sides, they're either walking below you or along the vulnerable grate.

The map is probably the most reliant on grates so far, on par with Camp Triggerfish. Run speed might have a niche here.

Sol64

I'm gonna have to try this map before I can say anything concrete, but I feel all the Splatlings (including the upcoming Hydra) will do fine on this map. Mini Splatlings get extra troll points if you can get surprise splats from sticking suctions under the grate.
I've actually been mini splattling a lot lately and let me tell you, it's a damn fun weapon. I'd heavily advise it over the heavy version.

Dragonuto

Pro Squid
Community Ambassador
NNID
Dragonuto
I just thought about it and I don't know if it's been in the rotation( Correct me if it has and tell me what it was like) but this map will be amazing for Rainmaker! So many paths :O It's just perfect for that game mode.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've actually been mini splattling a lot lately and let me tell you, it's a damn fun weapon. I'd heavily advise it over the heavy version.
I use both for Ranked Battles. Heavy's better for suppression in places like Bluefin Splat Zone, but Mini is so much more manuverable and charges so much faster. Hydra Splatling will probably prepare me for transition to 'sniper' type Chargers with its slower charge and nearly-E-liter range.

Also Heavy has Splash Walls, which I'm not that familiar with but are amazing anyway. Gotta practice with the Walls play in Tower Control and Rainmaker.

Sol64

I just thought about it and I don't know if it's been in the rotation( Correct me if it has and tell me what it was like) but this map will be amazing for Rainmaker! So many paths :O It's just perfect for that game mode.
Boot your game and play Splatoon already, it's been live since 15 hours ago.

Helio

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
monkey.esq
I love the new map smell!
Everyone just runs around randomly getting splatted. No strategy no thought.

Seems like the splatter medium/short range guns are dominant.

Killer wail is insanely good. See a lot of special up build to get as many killer wails as possible.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I love the new map smell!
Everyone just runs around randomly getting splatted. No strategy no thought.

Seems like the splatter medium/short range guns are dominant.

Killer wail is insanely good. See a lot of special up build to get as many killer wails as possible.
I've been having success with my Heavy Splatling while shooting from the second floor. I've also seen some E-Liter 3ks and Dynamo Rollers

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom